Freddie Prinze Jr. Joins Dragon Age: Inquisition Voice Cast

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013

Freddie Prinze Jr. has been revealed as the voice of the Qunari mercenary Iron Bull in Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Perhaps one of the more interesting casting decisions in
Mass Effect 3 was the one to have space marine James Vega played by Freddie Prinze Jr, a man who perhaps more readily brings to mind bad teen comedies than images of muscle bound alpha males. As skeptical as some perhaps were of him, however, he pulled it off, delivering a solid performance that won over many Mass Effect fans. Now, it's been announced that Prinze Jr. will be returning for another round of voice in Bioware's next big RPG, Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Speaking in a video recently released by Bioware, Prinze Jr. revealed that he'll be voicing the character Iron Bull, a Qunari mercenary that will ally himself with the player at some point during the game. According to Prinze Jr, Iron Bull will be a Qunari unlike any that series fans have seen in the past.

"He's very very complicated," he said, speaking in the video. "He's the opposite of any Qunari you've experienced in the franchise." Unlike other Qunari seen in the series, Iron Bull will apparently be a less grim and more of scoundrel, bouncing back and forth between causes as he sees fit. While he will apparently possess a healthy fear of demons, Prinze Jr. described him as being more like the "James Bond" of Qunari.

Just personally, I'm not sure how well I like that idea. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for characters who play against the clichés of their type or race. That said, the philosophical dourness of the Qunari has always been one of my favorite parts of Dragon Age and I can't help but wonder if Inquisition might be losing something by giving that up. What do you think? Are you excited for Freddie Prinze Jr's return to the realm of voice acting and what's your take on Iron Bull?

Source: Bioware

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Okay, well a lot of my interest in this character just disappereaed. Don't get me wrong, I think Freddie Prinze is pretty good voice actor. But his lines are total crap. He sounds like some frat house boy. Doesn't really fit in a medieval setting.

Bioware really is misusing the Qunari from the sound of it so far. First this guy and the MC is a total anomaly. You haven't even been introduced to the Qun. Kinda bums me out.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
I'm very fine with it. I love the Qunari conceptually and love having to understand their interaction differently from those we've come to expect, but I wouldn't want one in my party. Having The Iron Bull as an "outside-looking-in" type of character is more interesting to me, because it's enough knowing that HE WAS once, rather than Sten, whom I absolutely could not take seriously despite trying very hard to. As an existing race and species, they are very cool, but their same outlook on life introduces so many holes in the reasoning of why one would be following you as part of the Qun that it's just too eyerolling.

And that's the key for me, if they preserve the Qun and the Qunari in some other ways (still having them as a presence, essentially, perhaps even visiting one of their domains) then I'm fine with it.

Besides, this guy sounds really enjoyable to be around. We'll see in October.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Y'know, I LIKED Vega, and I thought Freddy was the best pick for the guy (I honestly want to hear the guy in more games.), but I dunno. He just strikes me as too high pitched for a Qunari.

I like the idea behind this character though. I hope it all goes well.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
*ally

I liked Vega, and Freddy as a voice actor, it would have been nicer to have had more time to get to know the character prior to... the plot but it was solid. Looking forward to seeing/hearing what he does here.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
When I saw this news I was afraid that Iron Bull was just going to sound like a slightly deeper Vega but the voice Freddie Prinze Jr. is doing sounds completely different from his normal voice. As for the character, it looks like Iron Bull is going to be a hornier version of Wrex. Wait, no.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Freddie Prinze Jr. is a pretty good voice actor. I'll look forward to this character, he sounds fun. It'll be nice to have a Qunari that is not like the rest. Qunari are cool, but there are a few thousand of them. And they are mostly all the same.

Which is fair enough, it is required of their religion-thingy. But still.. It is a bit boring in the long run. So something different is nice.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
I'm noticing a pattern here. First, Freddie Prince Jr. was cast as the biggest squadmate who pretty much shot the biggest gun. This time, he's being cast as the biggest companion that swings the biggest stick.

Though, this is ignoring the finer points to Vega at the very least. Vega was goofy and had a great rapport with Cortez, which really ended up making both of them. Of course, as goofy as he was, he earnestly wanted to do what he felt was right. He also ended up almost as a new protege for Shepard since Garrus ended up coming into his own more.

As for the Iron Bull, License to Kill (Sorry, had to since he's being called the 'James Bond of Qunari'), I don't know yet. He could be interesting, especially whenever he ends up having to follow yet another smartass Qunari.

I am impressed with the change to voice that Freddie Prince Jr. is using though. I almost couldn't recognize it even with seeing him actually say the lines. Though, I hope he does get some better dialogue from what I've heard. It seems a little rough.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
I like Vega, he's a good character and though I was at first skeptical I think Freddie could pull this off,
after all the Iron Bull is complex, he's moved on from his past (the only this he apparently fears) and though he still reports to his superiors he's indulging in all the vices the Qun prohibits he's not Tal-Vashoth... but he could be heading that way

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Are these actually the lines they're going to be using for their game? This is actual dialogue, going through the screening process and is going to be in the game?
Well I'm glad I didn't like his performance in Mass Effect either 'cos I know one person who's never being in my party.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
I like him. He was pretty good in ME and he makes the Iron Bull seem more interesting than I thought he was.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
StewShearer said:

Freddie Prinze Jr. has been revealed as the voice of the Qunari mercenary Iron Bull in Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Perhaps one of the more interesting casting decisions in
Mass Effect 3 was the one to have space marine James Vega played by Freddie Prinze Jr, a man who perhaps more readily brings to mind bad teen comedies than images of muscle bound alpha males. As skeptical as some perhaps were of him, however, he pulled it off, delivering a solid performance that won over many Mass Effect fans. Now, it's been announced that Prinze Jr. will be returning for another round of voice in Bioware's next big RPG, Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Speaking in a video recently released by Bioware, Prinze Jr. revealed that he'll be voicing the character Iron Bull, a Qunari mercenary that will all himself with the player at some point during the game. According to Prinze Jr, Iron Bull will be a Qunari unlike any that series fans have seen in the past.

"He's very very complicated," he said, speaking in the video. "He's the opposite of any Qunari you've experienced in the franchise." Unlike other Qunari seen in the series, Iron Bull will apparently be a less grim and more of scoundrel, bouncing back and forth between causes as he sees fit. While he will apparently possess a healthy fear of demons, Prinze Jr. described him as being more like the "James Bond" of Qunari.

Just personally, I'm not sure how well I like that idea. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for characters who play against the clichés of their type or race. That said, the philosophical dourness of the Qunari has always been one of my favorite parts of Dragon Age and I can't help but wonder if Inquisition might be losing something by giving that up. What do you think? Are you excited for Freddie Prinze Jr's return to the realm of voice acting and what's your take on Iron Bull?

Source: Bioware

*ally

OT: You know what? I didn't mind him as Vega but in this...he sounds like he's trying to pull off a Sean Connery impression. Not very impressively either to be honest, but maybe they alter it in post. Also, way too much usage of the word "crap". Doesn't sound right in a DA game to me. Alright, that's one small floundering I've seen thus far. All I care about is if he's like Black Whirlwind, which I'm kind of hoping he is. Man, now that guy was a fun character.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Oh dear I hope the next leap forward of games isn't the leap backwards that animated movies were doing for awhile of getting over payed mainstream actors that soak up a massive portion of your budget at the cost of decent directing, writing and vision with them often only turning in rubbish performances since they aren't experienced voice actors. I mean it doesn't make sense anyway because these guys are always booked with other better paying movies and than promotional stuff for their movies if you want them to come in and do some DLC they're like 'nope all booked unless you want to shell out another couple million for me to upset my calendar'. The only time these big name actors worked out really well in a game was Martin Sheen in ME2 and 3.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Scorpid said:
Oh dear I hope the next leap forward of games isn't the leap backwards that animated movies were doing for awhile of getting over payed mainstream actors that soak up a massive portion of your budget at the cost of decent directing, writing and vision with them often only turning in rubbish performances since they aren't experienced voice actors. I mean it doesn't make sense anyway because these guys are always booked with other better paying movies and than promotional stuff for their movies if you want them to come in and do some DLC they're like 'nope all booked unless you want to shell out another couple million for me to upset my calendar'. The only time these big name actors worked out really well in a game was Martin Sheen in ME2 and 3.
But Bioware used several big name actors for various roles in the Mass Effect games, not just Martin Sheen. They had Keith David, Lance Henrikson, Carrie-Ann Moss and Seth Green playing fairly big characters. Also, I don't really think Freddie Prinze Jr. is considered that big of an actor nowadays, I mean, I can't think of the last movie I saw him in.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
MissMetallicar said:
Scorpid said:
But Bioware used several big name actors for various roles in the Mass Effect games, not just Martin Sheen. They had Keith David, Lance Henrikson, Carrie-Ann Moss and Seth Green playing fairly big characters. Also, I don't really think Freddie Prinze Jr. is considered that big of an actor nowadays, I mean, I can't think of the last movie I saw him in.
That's usually how it is though. Most of the time those "Hollywood actors" that appear in for voice-acting roles in games are just C-listers, has-beens and/or character actors best known for supporting roles. The only real examples I can think of where that doesn't apply are Beyond: Two Souls (Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe) and Sleeping Dogs (Emma Stone, though she only plays a very small part from what I've heard).

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Considering what little we heard of the Iron Bull's lines sounded pretty much like me, while I play these kinds of games, I think it highly likely that I'm going to enjoy the character.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Too bad..his lines from the video doesn't feel like a Qunari male voice at all.

Sten's voice actor on the other hand did it very well.

Sep 14, 2009
I was against him playing vega at first in ME3, but I definitely came around to liking him and thought he did a fine job in it. Watching him do his VA for the iron bull and I'm a bit shocked that's even him, I'll have to see it more in game before I decide if I like it or not, but it's definitely different from vega at least.