Free Dead Space Launches Origin's "On the House" Program

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Free Dead Space Launches Origin's "On the House" Program


Origin's new "On the House" program offers full games for free, forever, just for being you.

You may have noticed that Dead Space is currently free on Origin, and you may also have wondered why. Now, after a bit of a delay, we have the answer: It's "On the House."

"There's no catch," EA explained on the newly-revealed On the House page on Origin. "Grab full games, expansions and more at absolutely no cost. Just make sure to act fast because On the House specials can appear and disappear at any time."

These are full games, not demos or trials, and once claimed they'll stay attached to your account forever. And why? "We're gamers, too," the site says. "We appreciate you making Origin your gaming home... and besides, who doesn't like free stuff?"

Dead Space is an older game, sure, but it's still awfully good and this is a great excuse to give it a go if you missed on the original release. (Which was more than five years ago, by the way, so it's perfectly possible.) And yes, all that "we're gamers too" business notwithstanding, this is clearly just an attempt to attract attention and bulk up the Origin user base, but so what? The net result is a free copy of Dead Space and that's alright by me.

Dead Space [https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/dead-space-ANW.html#details] will remain free on Origin until May 8.

Source: Origin [https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/on-the-house-ANW.html]


Permalink
 

Kolyarut

New member
Nov 19, 2012
116
0
0
Ohh, no, the anti-EA crowd are going to be furious!

On the downside, unless a Sim City giveaway is on the cards any time soon, post-Origin Bundle I'm pretty sure I've already got anything they're likely to give away.
 

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
885
0
0
"Why bother fixing all the problems with Origin? Why bother remove the spyware? Why bother improve our customer service? Why bother actually providing a better service than Steam? Let's just give people shit for free! That'll make them forget how bad we are!"
 

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
6,374
0
0
Well.

I already redeemed Dead Space on Origin, because why not have it on all the online platforms, but I certainly wasn't expecting this to be the reason behind it.

I will be the Negative Nancy who says it's too bad that the PC version of the first Dead Space has some of the worst mouse acceleration in the history of PC shooters, but at least it has controller support.
 

Cerebrawl

New member
Feb 19, 2014
459
0
0
As someone who got Dead Space in a bundle alongside Dead Space 3 in the humble origin bundle... (I only redeemed Dead Space on steam though).

I have to ask: But have they fixed how atrocious a port it is?
 

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
1,559
0
0
ShakerSilver said:
"Why bother fixing all the problems with Origin? Why bother remove the spyware? Why bother improve our customer service? Why bother actually providing a better service than Steam? Let's just give people shit for free! That'll make them forget how bad we are!"
It'll work, too. Especially since they have managed not to win Worst Company in America this year (for a change).

P.S. Thanks
 

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
573
0
0
Stabbing someone over and over again, then giving them a bandaid?

Nope. I'll just go to the hospital and stay as far away from you as possible.
 

JediMB

New member
Oct 25, 2008
3,094
0
0
shrekfan246 said:
I will be the Negative Nancy who says it's too bad that the PC version of the first Dead Space has some of the worst mouse acceleration in the history of PC shooters, but at least it has controller support.
You can just deactivate the game's VSync, force VSync from your graphics card's control panel, and suddenly you'll find the game is too damn easy because you'll be aiming too fast for the poor necromorphs.

I know, you shouldn't have to fiddle with the settings like that, but it's better than using a controller.
 

Colt47

New member
Oct 31, 2012
1,065
0
0
They need to decommission Origin and figure out a lightweight platform strategy that doesn't involve installing a digital storefront. Really that's the only option the company has if they want to get customer loyalty.
 

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
19,316
0
0
Wow, people are sure surly for being handed a free game. You'd think they'd just lay low for once instead of purposefully going out of their way to make themselves look bull-headed and unpleasable.

OT: I already have it from Origin Bundle, but I highly appreciate the gesture anyhow. With luck, they'll put Sims 3 expansions into the program. :D
 

Tuesday Night Fever

New member
Jun 7, 2011
1,829
0
0
Yeah... nice try, EA.

I had to use Origin to play Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3 on my old PC, and I'd prefer not to put it on this one too. Make Origin not suck and maybe I'll consider using it as more than a last resort on a PC I don't care about. I'd rather pay for the game and not have to deal with any BS.
 

Ickorus

New member
Mar 9, 2009
2,887
0
0
ShakerSilver said:
"Why bother fixing all the problems with Origin? Why bother remove the spyware? Why bother improve our customer service? Why bother actually providing a better service than Steam? Let's just give people shit for free! That'll make them forget how bad we are!"
Pretty sure they removed the lines in their EULA that basically gave them free rights to sell your data.

Yep. [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-changes-origin-eula/1100-6331203/]

Honestly it's pretty much on a level with Steam these days and most of the stuff they have done recently (Since Riccitiello left to be honest) have been pretty good for the consumer.

I mean, I still think they're a soulless corporate machine but they seem to have learnt that bending consumers over a table and going in dry isn't good for them in the long run.
 

Redhawkmillenium

New member
May 5, 2011
65
0
0
MinionJoe said:
Kolyarut said:
Ohh, no, the anti-EA crowd are going to be furious!
Not me. I hate EA more than the next average Joe. "Free stuff" just isn't enough for me to forgive EA their sins. Doesn't mean I'm "furious" about their offer.

"We appreciate you making Origin your gaming home... and besides, who doesn't like reinstalling their OS?"
What the heck are you even talking about? I use Origin and it's never given me problems.
 

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
19,316
0
0
Colt47 said:
They need to decommission Origin and figure out a lightweight platform strategy that doesn't involve installing a digital storefront. Really that's the only option the company has if they want to get customer loyalty.
Uh... how does one acquire free games if there isn't a storefront? D:
 

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
6,374
0
0
JediMB said:
shrekfan246 said:
I will be the Negative Nancy who says it's too bad that the PC version of the first Dead Space has some of the worst mouse acceleration in the history of PC shooters, but at least it has controller support.
You can just deactivate the game's VSync, force VSync from your graphics card's control panel, and suddenly you'll find the game is too damn easy because you'll be aiming too fast for the poor necromorphs.

I know, you shouldn't have to fiddle with the settings like that, but it's better than using a controller.
Eh, I actually never had problems using a controller for the game. It wasn't fast-paced enough that I really felt I needed a mouse anyway. I usually like keeping Vsync completely off when I can help it, too. I've never had any games that had screen tearing bad enough that it actually bothered me. EDIT: It is good to know that there's a workaround for those people who don't happen to have gamepads, though.

I will say I was thankful that the mouse aiming was so much better in Dead Space 2, though.
 

Rigs83

New member
Feb 10, 2009
1,932
0
0
huh[/youtube]
 

Colt47

New member
Oct 31, 2012
1,065
0
0
lacktheknack said:
Colt47 said:
They need to decommission Origin and figure out a lightweight platform strategy that doesn't involve installing a digital storefront. Really that's the only option the company has if they want to get customer loyalty.
Uh... how does one acquire free games if there isn't a storefront? D:
By having a web based store front instead of building a locally run application. The key difference between Origin and Steam is that EA has built their storefront specifically to toss around their own products. Valve shifted away from that approach and instead just regards steam as a product to conveniently distribute games to consumers. They have games published by them on there, but they aren't necessarily the main attraction.