Free Dead Space Launches Origin's "On the House" Program

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Colt47 said:
lacktheknack said:
Colt47 said:
They need to decommission Origin and figure out a lightweight platform strategy that doesn't involve installing a digital storefront. Really that's the only option the company has if they want to get customer loyalty.
Uh... how does one acquire free games if there isn't a storefront? D:
By having a web based store front instead of building a locally run application. The key difference between Origin and Steam is that EA has built their storefront specifically to toss around their own products. Valve shifted away from that approach and instead just regards steam as a product to conveniently distribute games to consumers. They have games published by them on there, but they aren't necessarily the main attraction.
I fail to see the difference.

You aren't forced to use the Origin store to use Origin. Why remove features because you don't want them? The store doesn't take up much room, and the platform is lower-weight than Steam is already.

I don't see how going the route of GamersGate is their "only option" while Steam exists.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
lacktheknack said:
Colt47 said:
lacktheknack said:
Colt47 said:
They need to decommission Origin and figure out a lightweight platform strategy that doesn't involve installing a digital storefront. Really that's the only option the company has if they want to get customer loyalty.
By having a web based store front instead of building a locally run application. The key difference between Origin and Steam is that EA has built their storefront specifically to toss around their own products. Valve shifted away from that approach and instead just regards steam as a product to conveniently distribute games to consumers. They have games published by them on there, but they aren't necessarily the main attraction.

You aren't forced to use the Origin store to use Origin. Why remove features because you don't want them? The store doesn't take up much room, and the platform is lower-weight than Steam is already.

I don't see how going the route of GamersGate is their "only option" while Steam exists.
The difference is one guy is treating their digital store front with the mindset of a product in it's own right. The other is using it as an add on program for their own games.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
ShakerSilver said:
"Why bother fixing all the problems with Origin? Why bother remove the spyware? Why bother improve our customer service? Why bother actually providing a better service than Steam? Let's just give people shit for free! That'll make them forget how bad we are!"
1. Origin is actually pretty similar to Steam at this point. I realize you're probably using experiences from when the platform first launched, but surely you must know things rarely stay the same from the launch date.

2. I'm confused, are you accusing Origin of downloading malware and such onto your computer, or are you accusing them of recording certain information? Because if its the latter, Steam does the same stuff.

3. Origin gives full refunds for games purchased through them if returned at a certain date, no questions asked. Steam does not.

4. I'm in no way saying Origin is better than Steam, but its not as far off as you people think.

5. What's wrong with giving away free games? Come on, tell me.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
so i was really looking forward to getting this(i just installed origin to play titanfall) but when the game installs it tells me that i have pick between german and french. which i assume means i will end up having a version that is somehow cut so i will not be installing this. still, a nice offer

and everyone who thinks EA deserves to win worst company in America when there are ISPs and the likes of Goldman Sachs around is just a fucking idiot.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Colt47 said:
lacktheknack said:
Colt47 said:
lacktheknack said:
Colt47 said:

The difference is one guy is treating their digital store front with the mindset of a product in it's own right. The other is using it as an add on program for their own games.
Steam storefront is not a "product in its own right" any more than Origin is, and they're most certainly not treating it as such. ALL storefronts are treated as methods of selling things and making money, no exceptions, because that's what they are. Carrying games from multiple publishers does not magically make one worse than the other as a concept. -___-

Also, Steam is inferior to Origin in terms of function, so I don't think your "difference" works the way you want it to.

How strange that the EA hatred has somehow morphed a freaking storefront into a "product in its own right". Is Gamestop a "product" now? No, they're a distro.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Can someone inform me of this....

I don't have Origin, but how easy is it to mod in support for Origin titles? I often heard that the PC port of Dead Space was VERY barebones to the console release, but I do not mods exist to make it better. How much of a hassle would that be?

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
lacktheknack said:
Colt47 said:
lacktheknack said:
Colt47 said:
lacktheknack said:
Colt47 said:

Steam storefront is not a "product in its own right" any more than Origin is, and they're most certainly not treating it as such. ALL storefronts are treated as methods of selling things and making money, no exceptions, because that's what they are. Carrying games from multiple publishers does not magically make one worse than the other as a concept. -___-

Also, Steam is inferior to Origin in terms of function, so I don't think your "difference" works the way you want it to.

How strange that the EA hatred has somehow morphed a freaking storefront into a "product in its own right". Is Gamestop a "product" now? No, they're a distro.
We can agree to disagree, then. =)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Trishbot said:
Can someone inform me of this....

I don't have Origin, but how easy is it to mod in support for Origin titles? I often heard that the PC port of Dead Space was VERY barebones to the console release, but I do not mods exist to make it better. How much of a hassle would that be?
It's exactly the same as Steam, except with less folder nesting.

Kalezian said:
lacktheknack said:
Wow, people are sure surly for being handed a free game. You'd think they'd just lay low for once instead of purposefully going out of their way to make themselves look bull-headed and unpleasable.

OT: I already have it from Origin Bundle, but I highly appreciate the gesture anyhow. With luck, they'll put Sims 3 expansions into the program. :D
as someone who plays Sims 3 and has spent nearly $300 on expansions and crap for it.

It probably wont happen. Sims is a cash cow. Just look at all the expansions you could get and their price.

if anything they might make a discounted bundle with everything once Sims 4 in nearing release.
Well, we can always hope.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
For some reason there's just something about Origin that I don't like but I just can't figure out what it is, even with a free copy of Dead Space, which I really love, I just wouldn't bother with it.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
I like this, I like this a lot.

Steam, along with being a great service attached to a great company gives me great discounts, but FREE is another beast entirely. I installed Origin for Titanfall which is an alright game. However, if Origin is going to be a free PS+, colour me excited.

I love Steam, I love PS+, and if this turns out to be a good thing, I am willing to love Origin

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Huh, GG EA, still don't trust you but I'll give you credit where it's due. Too bad I already have DS on Steam.

IVIX1

Feb 4, 2014
Origin is not Steam. Alot of fanboiis are saying its the same. EA owns origin, Steam is Valve, they are not the same thing thats that.

I personally won't touch EA for other reasons(origin is just icing). They have systematically stripped and wrecked so many great franchises with depth and amazing gameplay mechanics and turned them into the gaming equivalent of a half hour network sitcom thats been on tv for about 7 years too many. Weak gameplay mechanics, NO changes besides asthetics, rushed schedules, cut features.

Then add on the fact that they literally laugh in the face of customers with their Public Relations statements where they always say that they've done nothing wrong, or for instance how they say Battlefield 4 wasnt really a broken game/bad launch. Simcity is wreck. The Madden, FIFA, NBA, nascar franchises have about as much depth as a mobile game these days. They've ruined who knows how many studios in their "profits first, customers and quality last"-wake.

Anyone that is shortsighted enough to commend and/or support EA deserves their crap games. Its just sad that it is to the detriment of the entire gaming community/world of gaming. People need to open their eyes to this junk, you get what you ask for, and asking for EA games and Origin are only going to quicken the ruination of great games.

Now I'm done.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Smilomaniac said:
lacktheknack said:
Wow, people are sure surly for being handed a free game. You'd think they'd just lay low for once instead of purposefully going out of their way to make themselves look bull-headed and unpleasable.
...well there are consequences and people should consider things before just taking it.
EA will get a lot of new users and then proudly proclaim how more people are now "using" Origin, which will lead to a few more users who are then convinced that it might be a "satisfactory experience" to use Origin.

It's small stuff, but I wouldn't call people bullheaded, unpleasable or surly because they have their doubts, which everyone should have about everything, Origin and Steam included.
Origin IS a satisfactory experience. It's a more satisfactory experience than Steam.

Also, it's not just "having doubts". We've already had someone get banned in this thread for calling everyone who likes this move a massive toolbox. Bullheaded, unpleasable and surly sound perfect.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Roxor said:
Getting desperate, are we, EA?
Well they already seemingly dropped the whole 'sales cheapen the IP' BS they were trying to espouse a while back so this is the next logical step.

Too bad they chose a game that handled like arse.

Silly Hats

Dec 26, 2012
lacktheknack said:
Smilomaniac said:
lacktheknack said:
...well there are consequences and people should consider things before just taking it.
EA will get a lot of new users and then proudly proclaim how more people are now "using" Origin, which will lead to a few more users who are then convinced that it might be a "satisfactory experience" to use Origin.

It's small stuff, but I wouldn't call people bullheaded, unpleasable or surly because they have their doubts, which everyone should have about everything, Origin and Steam included.
Origin IS a satisfactory experience. It's a more satisfactory experience than Steam.

Also, it's not just "having doubts". We've already had someone get banned in this thread for calling everyone who likes this move a massive toolbox. Bullheaded, unpleasable and surly sound perfect.
I have never had a problem with Origin either, plus the Twitch streaming is kind of handy. People have such a hard on to be anti EA as if it validates their interests in videogames. Video games man...

I've got Dead Space on Steam and have beaten it about 3 times... although i'm really eager to replay the trilogy again - I genuinely love the series.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
For my two cents,

Microsoft has games with gold - i still down own a xbox

Play station plus :) aaaand still no. i DO own a PS3 exclusively for playing shadow of the colossus and ICO :)

Origin , dead space for free aaaaaand NOPE!

Steam , Team fortress 2 .... ok grudgingly yes i do have a steam account and it causes me no end of grief and its certainly sompthing i regret ever getting into.

Now why would i bring these fellows up ? because for me xbox , playstation , origin and steam all represent DRM (dont tell me consoles are not DRM they are the PINNACLE of DRM as i can only play games on those devices and nothing else) and no amount of free goodies is going to get me to jump into a DRM Focused system or program / distribution service.

All said and done when the dust settles you know who does give away FREE! games doesn't use DRM and who i use frequently ? GOG! why support origin ? go sign up for GOG if you haven't already the more support GOG gets the more likely we are to see a move away from having to install a client for every freeking distributor and hopefully never see another Games For Windows Live.