Free Portal 2 DLC Arriving Mid-September

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
Free Portal 2 DLC Arriving Mid-September

In April, Valve announced free <a href=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=portal+2&x=0&y=0>Portal 2 DLC for a summer release. This is the first we've heard of it since.

Speaking with Kotaku at Gamescom, Doug Lombardi, Valve's marketing director, said free Portal 2 DLC will arrive mid-September.

That's "still technically summer," Lombardi quipped.

The upcoming pack will introduce new test chambers, leaderboards, a new challenge mode for single and multiplayer modes, and "more." It's coming to the PC, Mac, Xbox 360, and PS3.

I certainly understand why people are surprised. I mean, Valve is normally so good at getting <a href=http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Half-Life_2:_Episode_Three>additional game content out in a timely manner.

Source: <a href=http://kotaku.com/5832185/portal-2s-first-dlc-will-still-technically-arrive-this-summer>Kotaku

Iglock

Mar 23, 2009
Oh you Valve. ;)

At least it's on it's way- until then I have my newly acquired love for L4D2 to keep me occupied.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
In Valve time, that's about a year early. Yay!
Also, *censored expression of joy* Portal 2 DLC :D

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
I find it funny that they're acting defensive about the whole summer release date thing. Nobody considers September part of the summer except this guy apparently. It's like they finally care that they're the butt end of every joke ever about release dates being pushed back. Oh Valve, you so funny!

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Lillowh said:
Pfft, since when has Microsoft ever let any dlc be completely "free"
I've heard that the first dlc can be free but I'm not too sure that this is correct. It would explain why Valve has said that it's free on all three platforms. But it would also mean that the next dlcs won't be free anymore.

OT: Wow, they said it's a summer release and it's only nearly a different season. Valve is improving at keeping the originally announced release date. I think they're trying to fight Valve time, if that's even possible.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Like I need another reason to play more Portal...Sweet! Can't wait, it will be like a birthday present!

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
How is this the first? I thought the first was the one that needed that special PS3 control that cost like 160 dollars.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Lillowh said:
When they want to keep Valve their side of the fence. GfWL is a giant clusterfuck for the most part and they can't affor to sour their own consoles lineup by cutting out future Valve titles.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
Lillowh said:
Frankly, they have no choice. PC, Mac, and PS3 will be free, so if theirs ain't it could only be on them. (like how they didn't have cross platform with PS3, PC, and Mac)

Or maybe they'll charge Valve, and Valve will take the loss, which would be very noble on their part.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
DJ_DEnM said:
How is this the first? I thought the first was the one that needed that special PS3 control that cost like 160 dollars.
That controller wasn't specific to the PS3, and since it was geared towards the controller, they aren't counting it as it doesn't cater to everybody.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
For fuck's sake Valve, you release the game when I have exams and then you release the DLC just as my summer break ends. At least they actually managed to release it in the summer rather than next year or indefinitely.

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
"That's still technically summer, hurf a durf."

What a jackass. I mean, uh, thank you for the free DLC.

I'll bet Half Life 2: Episode 3 is coming out in Q4 as well.

"...Q4 of 2021."

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Free Portal 2 DLC coming mid September.

MFW:

In all seriousness, great! Looking forward to new levels and such and so forth.

Edit: Wow, that's a lot bigger than I thought it was.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Oh, hey. It's Portal 2. I forgot about this game shortly after release.

Possibly the worst video game purchase I've made this year. At least DLC will make me pick it up again, even if for a very short while.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I had actually just been wondering about this earlier today internet. Thanks for answering my question in such a timely and efficient manner. Only abouter a month to go till more Portal 2 then. Yar!

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Iglock said:
Oh you Valve. ;)

At least it's on it's way- until then I have my newly acquired love for L4D2 to keep me occupied.
Same here, with special thanks to the Steam Summer Sale ($5 for a game that I've played for 60 hours so far).

I love you, Valve, even if Episode 3 comes out a year or two from now.