Free Portal Content For Rocket League This Week

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Free Portal Content For Rocket League This Week

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1010/1010213.jpg
Quirky racing/soccer/shooter hybrid Rocket League is getting a free smattering of Portal-themed cosmetics.

Rocket League [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/rocket%20league?os=rocket+league] is the quirky racing/soccer/shooter hybrid brainchild of of developer Psyonix, which has surprised everyone by exploding in popularity. Now, it has announced a team-up with Valve's own quirky shooter/puzzle hybrid: Portal. Several Portal-themed customization options will hit Rocket League in a December 1 update, which players can earn simply by winning matches.

While all of the items are completely free, you won't necessarily be rewarded them for every game you play. Instead, when you complete a match (win or lose) you will have a chance to get the new items.

The items included in the update are:

Cake (Topper)
Conversion Gel (Rocket Trail)
Propulsion Gel (Rocket Trail)
Repulsion Gel (Rocket Trail)
Aperture Laboratories (Antenna)
Cake Sticker (Antenna)
Companion Cube (Antenna)
Personality Core (Antenna)
PotatOS (Antenna)

Source: Steam [http://steamcommunity.com/games/252950/announcements/detail/38641143926128777]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Robeltu said:
Bit off topic isn't it? This has nothing to do with Valve not making games.
Well it is on topic, they seem to have cross-branding and item deals with everyone, but seemingly no new actual games in development.

On topic, I was hoping Portal themed meant Portals coming to the game, that would be most excellent.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Robeltu said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Valve just can't be arsed to make games anymore.
My impression is that Valve works on every Portal-themed mod/DLC that crops up in this and that game every now and then, like how they worked on the Portal mod for Skyrim some years ago and now are releasing a new skin for Rocket League, much like they release new hats for TF2 every so often. And I'm also of the impression that instead of dedicating work hours on actual game design they keep dishing out this sort of bullshit instead. So every new "Valve releases free mod" is met with some severe eye rolling.

Robeltu

Sep 19, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Robeltu said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
My impression is that Valve works on every Portal-themed mod/DLC that crops up in this and that game every now and then, like how they worked on the Portal mod for Skyrim some years ago and now are releasing a new skin for Rocket League, much like they release new hats for TF2 every so often. And I'm also of the impression that instead of dedicating work hours on actual game design they keep dishing out this sort of bullshit instead. So every new "Valve releases free mod" is met with some severe eye rolling.
I doubt Valve actual did anything aside from allowing the Rocket League developers to adapt existing assets into their game, it's likely no Valve developers will have worked on this content.
I agree they don't seem to be making games though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This is kind of neat, though I've not yet played the game.

Not even a big fan of Portal, but some of these would be fun add-ons to any racing/whatever game.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Gabe can't hear you over all the money he's rolling around in.

fix-the-spade said:
Well it is on topic, they seem to have cross-branding and item deals with everyone, but seemingly no new actual games in development.
I hear Half-Life 3 is on the way.