Free Tetris Clone Being Pulled From App Store - Tomorrow

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Free Tetris Clone Being Pulled From App Store - Tomorrow

Tris, a free Tetris clone for the Apple iPhone available via the App Store [http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/appstore.html], is being pulled, but not until tomorrow.

blog [http://www.tetris.com/], Tris creator Noah Witherspoon said that in spite of his belief that The Tetris Company doesn't actually have much of a case against him, he can't afford to do anything about it.

"I've received notice from Apple that they've been contacted by The Tetris Company about Tris. That, I'm afraid, is essentially game over. Do they have a case? No. Not really. I am convinced that if it went to court, the 'copyright' claim would get thrown out completely," Witherspoon wrote. "The trademark, perhaps not - but if I changed the name, to e.g Trys, that would be much harder for them to argue."

"The trouble is, I'm a college student, and not an affluent one, and I simply do not have the time, energy or resources to fight this battle right now," he continued. "There's a point at which I am willing to give up and be practical, to let the world have its way with that ever-mistreated little ideal of 'principle.' Thus, it's with great sadness that I must announce that I'll be pulling Tris from the App Store on Wednesday, August 27th, to remain in Apple's systems but publicly unavailable until I work out a solution to this."

The game's removal may not be permanent; Witherspoon says he's only agreed to take it down because Apple told him it would "take action" if he failed to resolve the matter himself. "When I have the time and can find a good copyright lawyer, I'll be figuring out exactly what my position is and how I can make Tris available again," he said.

In the meantime, Tris, the free Tetris clone for the iPhone, is slated to be taken down on Wednesday August 27. Since today is Tuesday August 26, it is suggested that owners of the Apple iPhone [http://www.apple.com/iphone/] who are still reading this while desperately trying to put two and two together should just go to the Apple App Store and grab the damn thing while you still can.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Oh my God. Just reading those comments alone makes me want to punch this kid in the face. Stop crying because you couldn't come up with an original idea, nor even an original name. Tris? Please, waste all your pathetic college money on a lawyer so he can tell you there's nothing you can do.

milskidasith

Jul 4, 2008
I agree. Granted, I don't think I would be so blunt about it, but yeah, he shouldn't be making any money on a tetris clone.

raigan

Feb 10, 2007
milskidasith post=7.69666.667030 said:
I agree. Granted, I don't think I would be so blunt about it, but yeah, he shouldn't be making any money on a tetris clone.
Uh.. he's not -- it's free.

raemiel

Jun 8, 2008
He really does sound like a bit of a tool who's full of himself just because he made an application for the iphone. Preaching about 'principle' and all that just smacks of being childish. He couldn't even name it without ripping off Tetris' actual name and yet seems to think he's being original.

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
I've seen variations on the Tetris model that wouldn't be copyright infringement, but this thing looks exactly like Tetris. If Tris isn't a violation of the Tetris copyright, then I don't know what is.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
He should have thrown some twin towers there. At least in certain countries, mixing freeware and political message/art/humour protects you from legal action.

The irony of this is that according to Macworld [http://www.macworld.com/article/135200/2008/08/iphone_tetris.html?lsrc=rss_weblogs_iphonecentral], aside from the polish of a bigger budget, Tris has a lot going for it.
Must read.