Freebie Info - Islets [FINISHED]

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Today, for you:

Islets

Islets]will be free at Epic Games Store until April 4th at 5PM (your local time). As always, you can get the game through the link above, or straight from the Epic Games launcher. Either way, the game will be added directly to your Epic Games library.
Take to the sky and reunite a fragmented world in this surprisingly wholesome metroidvania! Help Iko adventure across beautiful hand-painted islands, receive letters from a quirky cast of characters, and face powerful monstrous adversaries.
Have a look if interested, and enjoy.

Next week's freebie(s) are The Outer Worlds: Spacers Choice Edition & Thief.

Last edited:

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
#RandomRant

Prefacing this little rant by saying that I don't know a solution either, but I wish that these kinds of 2D sidescrollers would evolve in the aesthetic department a bit and make the world look and feel a bit more coherent and believable. Going off purely by the screenshots and trailers on the Epic Games Store page here, but I think it's rather bland when the world looks like a stack of blocks without any logical thought put into their design to make it look and feel like a logical world.

I had the same feeling when playing the demo for the recent Prince of Persia game. The story says that you're in some ancient ruins, temple, whatever thingamajig, but the design of the levels screams otherwise. It screams that you're running around a couple of blocks placed in a way to make them a platforming challenge in terms of gameplay rather than reflect their meaning within the story.

I wish 2D games would evolve a bit to make the level design both a fit thematically and gameplay-wise.