French Armed Robbers Steal Thousands of Copies of Modern Warfare 3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
French Armed Robbers Steal Thousands of Copies of Modern Warfare 3

Some people really want to get their hands on the new Call of Duty early.

Gangs of armed robbers have hijacked two trucks this weekend, and made off with thousands of copies of the latest Call of Duty game, Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320668885&sr=8-1]. The attacks took place near Paris and the stolen goods have a total value of more than three quarters of a million euros

In the first attack the thieves used a car to block the road the truck was taking, causing it to crash. The drivers then apparently got out to "make a report," at which point they were attacked with tear gas. While the drivers were incapacitated, the masked men stole the truck, which was thought to contain around 6,000 copies of the game. A second truck, bound for a store in the Yvelines district was attacked by a trio of thieves, who threatened the drivers with weapons, and again made off with the vehicle.

It's not known what happened to the copies of the game, although it's not hard to imagine them being sold on to hordes of excitable Call of Duty fans eager to get their hands on the game a few days early. After all, someone already paid over $1700 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114038-Early-Modern-Warfare-3-Goes-For-1725-on-eBay] for an early copy of the game, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were plenty more where he or she came from.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: Ultimate PS3 [http://www.ultimateps3.fr/news-ps3-8215-maj-pres-de-6000-exemplaires-de-modern-warfare-3-voles-hier-a-creteil.html] via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-07-armed-robbers-steal-6000-copies-of-modern-warfare-3]

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
"alright, we've got guns, get away cars, and tear gas. are we going to rob a bank?"
"hell no, I just don't wanna pay 60 bucks for Modern Warfare."

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Good Gods, are we going to have the need of unmarked trucks and defensive convoys now?

Ah, well i guess this is a point towards why digital downloads are better ;P

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Why'd I get an image in my head of Bobby Kotick poking his head out of a swimming pool full of cash going "I could have used that to top this up :("?

In all seriousness, this brought a smile to my face, I needed something to laugh at. Time for shady scenes which almost look like drug deals...but are in fact MW3.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
3/4 of a million in anything isn't bad, though one wonders how easy they'd be to shift.

Of course, it is possible they attacked the wrong truck, and are a bit disappointed with what they got.

I wonder how easy it is to get tear gas in France?

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Geez, how expensive are videogames in France!? Even at ?60 per game (the max in Ireland) that doesn't add up....

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
How the hell do they expect to sell 6000 copies without catching anyones attention?

The conspiracy nut in me wants to say that it was actually Activision who stole them.. But WHY?!

Otterby

Mar 10, 2011
I must say I wasn't expecting the French to be the first ones to execute piratism with some balls.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
Well, there have been robberies on toy stroes where they only took Ferbies, so this doesn't really surprise me. In just under 18 hours at the time of writing, the world will be dissapointed by a another Modern Warfare which is too short.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sieggy said:
Look on the bright side! There didn't (stole) a reused one!
Heh, that's a point.

Anyone else find it odd that the article linked to says the games would be worth 0.4, not 0.75 million, or have I missed something?

Mirror Cage

Dec 6, 2010
What puzzles me more is that guy who payed $1700 for the early copy. Who is he planning to play against? There's probably about 3 people who own that game at the moment.

Epitome

Jul 17, 2009
Is the 750,000 retail? If both trucks had 6000 copies retailing at ?60 a piece it would still only be ?720,000. But isn't the real value of the theft just the cost of manufacture on those 12,000 units? Which I doubt is much at all.

I suppose 3/4 of a million sounds a lot better than, we need to add 12,000 more onto the next batch of 100,000's of thousands to print.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
You know what?

If this turns out to be a Publicity Stunt my hat will be off to COD because that is a great damn move.

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
When I read the title of this thread, I thought it said "French Armed Robots Steal Thousands of Copies of Modern Warfare 3." That would have been much cooler.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Perhaps CoD is trying to prove its tough?
Since no one in anyway seems impressed with the new MW3 "No Russian" controversy level...

Then again this might backfire and land some people in prison...