French Gaming Mag Confirms Prey Sequel [UPDATED]

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
French Gaming Mag Confirms Prey Sequel [UPDATED]

Details are rather scarce, but it looks like there are more portals and anti-gravity walkways in our future.

The next issue of the French gaming magazine, Joystick, will feature an exclusive look at the sequel to the Native American-inspired, sci-fi shooter, Prey. ZeniMax, the parent company of Bethesda and id Software, acquired the rights [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94532-ZeniMax-Planning-New-Prey] to the game in 2009, and it seems that it has been hard at work since then.

Unfortunately, all we have to go on is the magazine's cover, which is pretty, but hardly info-packed. It shows one of the aliens from the first game being held down by its neck, with a gun pointed at its face. The cover has the tagline, "personne ne l'attendait ... mais ça va changer," which roughly translates to "no one expected it, but that will change." Unfortunately, that's all the information that the cover contains, and anything else will have to wait until it hits newsstands.

The original Prey starred Domasi "Tommy" Tawodi, whose grandfather and girlfriend are abducted by hostile aliens, leaving it up to Tommy to rescue them. It was notable for its use of portals before they were cool, and its variable gravity combat.

The game had a development arc not entirely unlike that of another 3D Realms game, Duke Nukem Forever. First announced in 1995, Prey went through a number of team and engine changes, before eventually coming to a halt in 1999, due to insurmountable technical problems. By 2001, however, other developers had dealt with those problems, meaning that 3D Realms was able to license an engine, rather than develop one from scratch. It chose id software's idTech 4 engine, which had powered Doom 3, and handed the project over to Human Head Studios, who, along with Venom Games, brought the game to the Xbox 360 and PC in 2006.

3D Realms originally announced a sequel to the Prey not long after the first game's release, but there seemed to be very little activity following the announcement. Supposedly, Human Head is working on the sequel as well, but whether that's still the case remains to be seen.

UPDATE: Bethesda has confirmed that Human Head Studios is working on Prey 2, and is expecting to release the game on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2012. Prey 2's project lead, Chris Rhinehart, said that the Human Head was thrilled to be working with Bethesda, and promised " fast-paced action in an open, alien world."

Source: Evil Avatar [http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138449]

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
I have the first game and couldn't get into it, didn't really have much to offer personally. Maybe I'll give it another go in the future. I'm surprised by this.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
marioman360 said:
I really hope I'm not the only one excited for this.
I am excited to find out what they have planned. Some of the elements of that game were so incredibly cool. That team really thought outside the box in the development of Prey. I just hope it doesn't keep to the same exact stuff the first game did and then try to sell us a dated game.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
marioman360 said:
I really hope I'm not the only one excited for this.
no dude

you're not the only one XD

though after playing Prey on the Zeebo, I hope it does not disappoint

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Just looked at a gameplay video of the first...looks bizarre. I like it.
It's bizarre in the beginning when they are throwing crazy scripted stuff at you. The first 3 hours or so are pretty awesome to watch but after that it just becomes shooty and meh. I think I lasted about an hour more before just getting bored.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Finally! My cliffhanger ending will be resolved. Prey was my first FPS, btw. Since you couldn't really die, it made a great first FPS.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Is this the one with the guns that all use the same ammo type, and enemies are on the ceiling so it makes you re-think cover mechanics? Because if it's the one I'm thinking of, then this could be awesome.

dkcecil

Mar 8, 2011
I loved the first one. With the living ship, the indian influence, and all the wacky twists the game took, it was a blast. I can't wait to see what is in store for part 2. Thankfully we won't have to wait 10 years for this.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
I bought the 1st game when it was released after playing the demo and I had a lot of fun with it. My only hope is that they don't try and mimic the portal gun and instead keep the portals fixed and the game on the rails. Bulletstorm showed that old school "On the rails" shooters can still be good.

Also, who bets that even if they don't copy the portal gun (which would fit the setting), they'll be accused of ripping off Valve?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
micky said:
that game gave me motion sickness, not really interested
I second this.

I found the first EXTREMELY boring after about an hour, just couldn't get into it at all =\

Here's hoping this one is better.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
The first one had a solid premise, and good moments, but the execution was ultimately lacking. Hopefully they can improve the good and stay away from trying to be Gears of Portal, or Resistance: Fall of Portal, or Portal of Duty, or Killzone... Portal... Portal-Zone?

yeah, I'm running AAA shooters to replace part of the name with the word "Portal"...

Serious: There's potential to be had here.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
The main problems with Prey was that it got slightly repetitive in the last few levels and it was ridiculously easy thanks to the fact that you (practically) could not die.

But in the end, the game still managed to be a blast to play and to this day its still one of the most refreshing and unique bizarre FPSs on the market.

Right now, I'm utterly shocked at this announcement! After 3D Realms kicked the bucket and years of zero information, I thought the likelihood of a Prey 2 was on the same page as DNF getting released.

Probability is a devious little *****.

*---List of Sequels That Are More Than Likely Not Gonna Be Made But Should---*
[small]-Beyond Good and Evil 2-
-Bully 2-
-Future Cop L.A.P.D. 2-
-Hitman 5-
-Prey 2-
-Psychonauts 2-
-TimeSplitters 4-
-Urban Chaos 2-
-Viewtiful Joe 3-[/small]

Time will tell.

Time... will tell.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
I read an article about this in a Swedish gaming magazine and almost. The game will be sort of like Deus Ex were you run around on an alien planet in a sort of FPS/RPG hybrid. In other words it will not be more of the same although Tommy will return as a NPC.