French TV Show Creates Bin Laden/Mario Parody

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
French TV Show Creates Bin Laden/Mario Parody

Get yourself ready for shock, awe, and terrorist Goombas with turbans on.

The French TV show, Tout le monde il est Beau, has used everyone's favorite plumber as the base for its satirical look at the recent discovery and death of Al-Qaeda leader, Osama Bin Laden.

The parody, entitled "Super President Brothers: The Hunt for Bowser Laden," starts with the "Bowser Laden" attacking the Twin Towers - or the "Mario-ified" equivalent of them - and then going into hiding. The job falls to "Mario Bush," who later transforms into "Mario Bama," to hunt him down and stop him. It's well done, but as parodies goes, it's not exactly amazingly original. Let's face it, its overarching statement - that the US used an excessive amount of force in the search for Bin Laden - isn't exactly a new idea.

There are plenty of elements lifted straight from the Mario games themselves, but they've all been tweaked to serve the parody. For example, the enemy Koopa Troopers now have beards and guns, and the mushroom that turns Mario Bush into Mario Bama has the stars and stripes on it. It does, however, speak to the worldwide cultural impact of the Mario games, when something like this gets greenlit for consumption by the general public.

Source: Go Nintendo [http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=157658]

Reallink

Feb 17, 2011
This pretty much trivializes the whole war. I'm opposed to the whole war, but a lot of people died.

Too soon guys. Too soon

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
satire is just so much more funny when it hits close enough for somebody to be offended by it.

justcallmeslow

Dec 18, 2009
That's genius. Level 3 was my favourite for sure.

I feel like the article is trying to find faults. The video wasn't the first to make that point? They changed things from the game to make the parody better? Oh no! At least it says things about Mario more so than the hunt for Bin Laden...

Delta2501

Mar 31, 2010
Brilliant, loved the bullet bill artillery devastation. Reminds me of the "crossing the line twice" article on TV Tropes

Agent Cross

Died And Got Better
Jan 3, 2011
Really... Lol XD! Where's V.P. Cheney as Toad and V.P. Biden as Peach!? I demand a Mario bros 2 parody for further details, and a more formal understanding of these current events.

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
Well that was an ingenious summary...especially loved the ending..."You killed Bin Laden, but your shiz is still gonna get effed up!"

I'd say this is twice as good as Duty Calls...

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Reallink said:
This pretty much trivializes the whole war. I'm opposed to the whole war, but a lot of people died.

Too soon guys. Too soon
Heck no! If anything I find this to be moreso credible than anything the propaganda machines from both sides spew at me.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
silverbullet1989 said:
thought it was an early trailer for mw3 then
Looked far too enjoyable to be that.

HankMan said:
Man I want that game.
It's the ending that really Seals the deal for me.
Somewhat Black Ops humour, friend.

More importantly did no one else notice it said "Level 3 Super Bush Blows Everything"?

Agent Cross

Died And Got Better
Jan 3, 2011
manythings said:
HankMan said:
Man I want that game.
It's the ending that really Seals the deal for me.
Somewhat Black Ops humour, friend.

More importantly did no one else notice it said "Level 3 Super Bush Blows Everything"?
Ba-dum-tish *walks away from the Escapist forums*

OT: It's almost eerie how Castro's death in COD and Bin Laden's death IRL share such similarities. See what I did there? Probably not... *leaves drumsticks*

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
FogHornG36 said:
first part, super offensive, second part, super funny.
Umm, I don't follow, it seems your indicating that while Mario was Bush it was offensive, yet while it was Obama it was funny...

or am I misunderstanding?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I had a great laugh at the American mushroon turned him into Obama. Still why was it Koopa soldier attacking the door instead of Toad soilder? Overall I though it was funny (at the parody).