Frequent Overwatch Match-Quitters to Pay a Hefty Price

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
DeepComet5581 said:
Lizzy Finnegan said:
Disconnecting, or being removed due to inactivity, counts just like if you left intentionally.
Okay, THAT bit I have a big problem with. It shouldn't be that difficult for the servers to detect whether a connection was terminated manually or automatically (As having a high enough ping gets one booted from a lot of online play servers). Having a bad day with your internet could end up with you being punished through absolutely no fault of your own.

What about server maintenance downtime? If players are kicked because the servers have been taken offline, does that count as an intentional disconnect?
Entering an online game when you know your internet is shoddy is an asshole thing to do. Internet issues may be out of your hands, but if you enter a match knowing you'll lag and likely disconnect, you've knowingly inflicted other people with your connection issues. It's inconsiderate and outright selfish. It's like farting in an elevator when riding with other people. It's not like you're not allowed to do it, but it's fucking rude.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
fisheries said:
I have a minor problem with it, Overwatch isn't Counter Strike GO or LoL. If someone leaves, what does it really matter, people can join mid game, I don't think they should bother with the penalty unless they're actually disadvantaging their team, rather than meaning they're less a player, for a very short match. If someone DCs from LoL or GO, it's a massive pain for everyone else, in Overwatch, not so much. If someone doesn't want to be there, they should go, and someone who does can join.
Overwatch is a 6v6 game, and losing a player is felt far more in this environment than something like TF2 where people are rotated in and out all the time, but the player numbers usually stay even at around 10-12 per team. Team Fortress 2 auto-balances when player numbers shift too much in one team's favor. You can't auto-balance in Overwatch because of the player numbers and how closely you rely on your teammates.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Seems some players don't understand (or care) that when THEY leave, some other poor sod gets tossed in the hole THEY left.
Its real fun to search for 30 - 60+ secs , find match , load in map , select hero , Win/Lose in less time it takes you to get out of the spawn area, end screen, match disbanded due to low number of players, back to search.

There is NO excuse for leaving matches enough times to trigger this penalty, hell I think they are being too lenient myself.
If I was in charge, I would make the Match Maker specifically look for matches that are nearly ending and purposely put leavers on the side losing, so leavers would be simply changing places with other leavers, until they completed enough matches to remove the leaver de-buff.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
DeepComet5581 said:
Lizzy Finnegan said:
Disconnecting, or being removed due to inactivity, counts just like if you left intentionally.
Okay, THAT bit I have a big problem with. It shouldn't be that difficult for the servers to detect whether a connection was terminated manually or automatically
OK, how do you distinguish between legit problems and pluggers, then?

DeepComet5581 said:
Having a bad day with your internet could end up with you being punished through absolutely no fault of your own.
You get dropped by one or two games, then maybe you should stop playing until network traffic improves. Besides, even then you won't get penalised. I'm pretty sure it takes more than 2 games to get into the XP cap. And even then it's not going to be sudden out-of-nowhere penalty - you are going to be warned. Even. Then. All it takes is few good matches and you'd be in the clear.

Also, if you consider XP cap a grave and undeserved punishment, then I congratulate you on your first encounter with Blizzard. Some history - Blizzard has been in the games business for a while. It's getting very close to two decades of them having games that play online. Blizzard have had a lot of experience with people using a variety of cheats in such games and have strived to deter it as much as possible - there have been mass suspensions, mass bans (of CD keys or entire accounts), and a variety of other mass punishments for everybody who has used cheats. Diablo 2 has also seen the deployment of Rust Storm, which wiped all illegitimately obtained items in all of their realms.

Blizzard has been dealing harsh penalties to people ruining their games, especially if they ruin it for others. They've been doing this for over a decade at this point and it is one of their signature moves. This particular way of dealing with a problem is not a new development, nor it is unexpected, nor is even that harsh. It's literally just a bit less XP until you stop disconnecting from games - you can still play. And XP isn't really that important, either. Besides, it's easy to get rid of, too.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
This news moves the game towards my "No buy" list now. If I want to leave a match because I'm not enjoying myself, then I'm going to leave. I don't care if my team is about to win, or the match barely started and I become the unlucky sob that's getting creamed around every corner I choose to pick. If I'm not having fun, what reason is there to put in the 10-20 minutes (I don't know how long it takes for a round of OW to end) of effort just to end up having the entire match become a bad time?

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Balimaar said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
The only time I ever leave games is when I get put on a team that has no idea how composition works and sometimes you have to wait to see who goes what. If I get put on an attacking team that consists of 2-3 Widowmakers, a Bastion and no support, I'm leaving, because there's just no point in staying. I shouldn't get penalized for the stupidity of others.
Then be that support. Problem solved. No need to leave.

As Sky Williams says, "Sometimes you have to be the *****!"
Problem not solved. No support isn't the only issue with the set up I mentioned. Even if I went support I'm still on an attacking team with 2-3 Widowmakers and a Bastion. And before anyone says it's unlikely to get put in games with a set up like that, it's happened to me multiple times.

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
DeadProxy said:
This news moves the game towards my "No buy" list now. If I want to leave a match because I'm not enjoying myself, then I'm going to leave. I don't care if my team is about to win, or the match barely started and I become the unlucky sob that's getting creamed around every corner I choose to pick. If I'm not having fun, what reason is there to put in the 10-20 minutes (I don't know how long it takes for a round of OW to end) of effort just to end up having the entire match become a bad time?
The reasoning is that you leaving (for whatever reason) makes the game experience worse for the five others that are left behind, as well as anyone unfortunate enough to jump into your slot after the enemy team has enjoyed your absence. Your enjoyment must be weighed against the common enjoyment in any multiplayer game, and it sounds like you have a mindset more fitting for single-player or non-team-based multiplayer games, where your own enjoyment can be more separated from the experience of the other players.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
DeadProxy said:
If I'm not having fun, what reason is there to put in the 10-20 minutes (I don't know how long it takes for a round of OW to end) of effort just to end up having the entire match become a bad time?
For the other 11 people in the match. If you don't understand that, or simply don't care, good, please do stay away. Good riddance.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
This would be a more effective punishment if the upgrade system hadn't already been borked to try and get people to buy microtansactions.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
That's good, when people leave mid match, that is extremely frustrating.

For people who have all these extenuating circumstances like, "but the team composition isn't to my liking", I think that is just tough titties to be honest. I have sat through multiplayer matches with teams of people who sucked. It detracts from my enjoyment, but it doesn't destroy the game if I don't win. You are kind of being cry babies about it I think.

As for the penalties... there is no such thing as an actual penalty here. Reduced XP will only result in less vanity items. There are no real stakes there. I think that if they get habitual quitters, they should be penalized by not being allowed to play for a certain amount of time. They hand out 3 day bans in WoW, they can do it here too.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
K12 said:
This would be a more effective punishment if the upgrade system hadn't already been borked to try and get people to buy microtansactions.
I don't think they borked it. XP gain is identical to before they introduced the loot crates, as I understand it. I didn't play the beta, so I can't say for sure.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
DeadProxy said:
The thing is, imagine almost any other team activity in your life. People aren't just allowed to stop playing basketball mid match because they aren't having fun. When I played Soccer (which I was horrendously bad at), I didn't just quit because I wasn't having fun in the middle of a match. If I'm not enjoying a meeting at work, I can't just walk out. In the end, it's only 10-20 minutes of your time and it's not everyone else's fault you aren't having fun. I'm firmly in the camp where you just shouldn't play the game at all. Most team MP games have this same element, you can easily get put onto a team full of people who don't know how to play. But they are learning, and you can still enjoy yourself and use that time to get better.

You can't conduct your life based on whether or not you are having fun because if you are playing a team game, other people are relying on you. You not buying the game would actually benefit the entire community if you can't have fun just because you aren't winning.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
DeepComet5581 said:
Okay, THAT bit I have a big problem with. It shouldn't be that difficult for the servers to detect whether a connection was terminated manually or automatically (As having a high enough ping gets one booted from a lot of online play servers). Having a bad day with your internet could end up with you being punished through absolutely no fault of your own.

What about server maintenance downtime? If players are kicked because the servers have been taken offline, does that count as an intentional disconnect?
Well, for one, if it really did happen accidentally, it will naturally only happen once and you'll be fine. They're doing this to combat people trying to escape this penalty by going down to the Notification Area in Windows and disconnecting from their router. XP

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Overwatch also has dedicated servers, right? Does that mean that you can play and quit anytime you want if you're playing on a dedicated server or are they going to enforce this all across the board?

talker

Nov 18, 2011
I understand Blizzard wants to make the game as pleasurable an experience for its players as possible, but all these articles on how seriously Blizzard is taking cheaters and leavers is making me think they're desperately trying to be taken seriously in the face of people either not taking them seriously or claiming they've ripped off TF2.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Pretty much the reason i quit battlefield was because the moment our team isnt winning half the team quits.

DeepComet5581 said:

literally impossible. and i do use the word correctly. The quitters would just unplug the ethernet cable for a few seconds instead of quiting to game the system. I dont think server kicking you out for ping counts as you quitting. And if you have internet bad enough for server to kick you constantly then perhaps you shouldnt play that day, because you are ruining the game for everyone, not just you.

Also its not like they are going to ban you, they are giving you a penalty that literally has no impact whatsoever on the gameplay.

gact said:
My problem is that I have to quiit often because the matchmaking makes me join 200+ ping servers fairly frequently and I cant play the game like that.
so until a server browser exists I won t be able to avoid this problem.
but from the info we got if you quit before you select the character it doesnt count so you should be good?

DeadProxy said:
If you only care about your fun and not other players fun then i suggest you play singleplayer games where you do not affect others by your choices.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Baresark said:
DeadProxy said:
The thing is, imagine almost any other team activity in your life. People aren't just allowed to stop playing basketball mid match because they aren't having fun. When I played Soccer (which I was horrendously bad at), I didn't just quit because I wasn't having fun in the middle of a match. If I'm not enjoying a meeting at work, I can't just walk out. In the end, it's only 10-20 minutes of your time and it's not everyone else's fault you aren't having fun. I'm firmly in the camp where you just shouldn't play the game at all. Most team MP games have this same element, you can easily get put onto a team full of people who don't know how to play. But they are learning, and you can still enjoy yourself and use that time to get better.

You can't conduct your life based on whether or not you are having fun because if you are playing a team game, other people are relying on you. You not buying the game would actually benefit the entire community if you can't have fun just because you aren't winning.
Yep, it's much like the assholes in MMOs who queue for dungeons and then quit because somebody's Attack Power or Gearscore or whatever they're being elitist about in your particular MMO isn't up to their arbitrary standards.

Sometimes you'll have to play with an inexperienced team, or a suboptimal one. Suck it up, don't be an asshole, and do your best to help your team achieve their goals.

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
DeepComet5581 said:
Lizzy Finnegan said:

A server can't detect that unless you go through the menu and close the game. If I do it by pushing Reset on my PC, pulling out the ethernet cable in my router or killing overwatch.exe, the game does not get any feedback and just loses connection. All those actions look the same to a server, since all it knows is that your traffic is not coming in anymore, not why. (unless you use the Exit button, since you are then commanding the server to stop sending you traffic)

And if you are having a bad internet day, you don't get to play and ruin other people's game. I have seen this in Moba's too, a guy disconnecting the entire game and saying "sorry it has been like this all game", well that's great Jimmy, thanks for locking us into a 30-60min game that is now virtually a guaranteed loss. People like that (and in this case you) are then being selfish and ruining the game for 11 other people. So the punishment is great. Since it isn't for single instances, but repeated abuse, you would deserve what you get if you keep trying with a faulty connection. I have experienced lag before, and Overwatch isn't even fun when it lags, so why would anyone even bother...

I am sure trivial instances like server maintenance is exempt from this rule.

DudeistBelieve said:
I really don't think it's fair how quickly the game boots you for being AFK.

Ya tab out to tell netflicks to that "Yes, I Am Still Watching" come back and booted from the game. Hell even a bathroom run is too long a time. Like c'mon man. Give me at least a minute, minute and a half.
Because 1-2 mins is sometimes 10-20% of a single game. Either hold it for 5 mins or go before. Why you would need Netflix during a videogame is beyond me.

DeadProxy said:
The games last 10mins tops. Most end in less. You would assess the fun of the game only after a few mins, so you'd have to sit out a max of what, 5mins? For which you are still compensated with drops/EXP. I am glad you won't because leavers aren't what this game needs.