Frequent Overwatch Match-Quitters to Pay a Hefty Price

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
ItsNotRudy said:
DeepComet5581 said:
Lizzy Finnegan said:
Disconnecting, or being removed due to inactivity, counts just like if you left intentionally.
Okay, THAT bit I have a big problem with. It shouldn't be that difficult for the servers to detect whether a connection was terminated manually or automatically (As having a high enough ping gets one booted from a lot of online play servers). Having a bad day with your internet could end up with you being punished through absolutely no fault of your own.

What about server maintenance downtime? If players are kicked because the servers have been taken offline, does that count as an intentional disconnect?
A server can't detect that unless you go through the menu and close the game. If I do it by pushing Reset on my PC, pulling out the ethernet cable in my router or killing overwatch.exe, the game does not get any feedback and just loses connection. All those actions look the same to a server, since all it knows is that your traffic is not coming in anymore, not why. (unless you use the Exit button, since you are then commanding the server to stop sending you traffic)

And if you are having a bad internet day, you don't get to play and ruin other people's game. I have seen this in Moba's too, a guy disconnecting the entire game and saying "sorry it has been like this all game", well that's great Jimmy, thanks for locking us into a 30-60min game that is now virtually a guaranteed loss. People like that (and in this case you) are then being selfish and ruining the game for 11 other people. So the punishment is great. Since it isn't for single instances, but repeated abuse, you would deserve what you get if you keep trying with a faulty connection. I have experienced lag before, and Overwatch isn't even fun when it lags, so why would anyone even bother...

I am sure trivial instances like server maintenance is exempt from this rule.

DudeistBelieve said:
I really don't think it's fair how quickly the game boots you for being AFK.

Ya tab out to tell netflicks to that "Yes, I Am Still Watching" come back and booted from the game. Hell even a bathroom run is too long a time. Like c'mon man. Give me at least a minute, minute and a half.
Because 1-2 mins is sometimes 10-20% of a single game. Either hold it for 5 mins or go before. Why you would need Netflix during a videogame is beyond me.

DeadProxy said:
This news moves the game towards my "No buy" list now. If I want to leave a match because I'm not enjoying myself, then I'm going to leave. I don't care if my team is about to win, or the match barely started and I become the unlucky sob that's getting creamed around every corner I choose to pick. If I'm not having fun, what reason is there to put in the 10-20 minutes (I don't know how long it takes for a round of OW to end) of effort just to end up having the entire match become a bad time?
The games last 10mins tops. Most end in less. You would assess the fun of the game only after a few mins, so you'd have to sit out a max of what, 5mins? For which you are still compensated with drops/EXP. I am glad you won't because leavers aren't what this game needs.
Heaven forbid we lose the game, as if we had something actually riding on it.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Hot damn. Overwatch isn't my kind of game (A bit too busy for me), but I'm almost tempted to buy it and force myself to play just on principle.

InflatableHippo

Feb 13, 2016
Country
usa
This is no longer a game but your job.

You must complete your shift. Lunch breaks are when you are not in an active game. Failure to complete your full shift will be penalized on your paycheck. I mean exp.

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
DudeistBelieve said:
Heaven forbid we lose the game, as if we had something actually riding on it.
Then just don't play if you can't put yourself in another's shoes. It isn't about winning, it's about a game where it is a full team vs. few simply isn't fun to play. Given the commitment here is 10mins max per game on a forum where the average member wastes hours (days if you're an MMO player) per week on games, what the f are we even talking about?

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
I've been playing Overwatch for a good while now and to be honest I don't find people quitting out of games mid match is that big of a problem (though truly annoying when it causes you to hop into a game towards the end). Kudos for them at least putting a system in place for stopping people who are gung ho about leaving no matter the cost to others.

And for those in here arguing that this change is putting you off the game or that you are angry that they are implementing it,can you really see yourself leaving several games in a row without completing the match? If so, what is your issue with the game? Even on a losing side the game is fun unless you are dying before you even reach the action and most of the time that is an issue with your choice in hero.

We still however need to see some tweaks in the balance, Mei is still a terrifying beast in the hands of a good player when it comes to holding ground / a point.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
InflatableHippo said:
This is no longer a game but your job.

You must complete your shift. Lunch breaks are when you are not in an active game. Failure to complete your full shift will be penalized on your paycheck. I mean exp.
If you feel XP is important enough that you consider it work to get it, then, by definition, this action by Blizzard changes nothing.

For everybody else, it's just a slight extra incentive to stay in the game.