Friday Box-Office: Big Hero 6 Sneaks Up On Interstellar

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Friday Box-Office: Big Hero 6 Sneaks Up On Interstellar

Nolan space-epic has a big Friday, Disney superheroes expected to overtake the weekend

Paramount's big-budget sci-fi drama Big Hero 6. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9870-Interstellar-Movie-Review] However, analysts are forecasting that increased Saturday viewership among families will carry Hero to a decisive first place victory for the weekend.

While both films are surging toward healthy $50 million+ opening weekend grosses, box-office watchers cite Big Hero 6's superior Cinemascore audience-polling grade (an A versus Interstellar's B+) and Rotten Tomatoes score (91% versus 76%, respectively) plus the aforementioned Saturday "family bump" for the projections. If so, the $165 million Interstellar will become the first film from director Christopher Nolan to fail to open in first place since Insomnia in 2002 - an inauspicious (though by no means disastrous) debut for what had been touted as one of the holiday season's heavy hitters.

Attention now turns to next week, where the 20-years-later comedy sequel Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135276-Trailer-Debuts-For-Dumb-Dumber-To] the following week.

Source: Deadline Hollywood [http://deadline.com/2014/11/interstellar-big-hero-6-box-office-1201274335/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wow. interstellar is not doing too well. just checked out the coming soon list to see when hero 6 will be out in hong kong. for some odd reason, nothing. i guess they still have to find terrible voice actors to screw up the movie for children. no, seriously, cantonese voice actors are horrible.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Im down with that. After having just watched Big Hero 6 I can wholeheartedly say it was well worth the watch and my money. The short at the beginnin was adorable too.

Its good to see that Disney animation has hit its stride again. Between Bolt, Wreck-it-Ralph, Frozen, and now this I can safely say they're fully up to par again.

Heck, I'd put Big Hero 6 and Frozen up against Pixar movies and find it to be a close match.

Insanity_Incarnate

Feb 9, 2014
Metalrocks said:
wow. interstellar is not doing too well. just checked out the coming soon list to see when hero 6 will be out in hong kong. for some odd reason, nothing. i guess they still have to find terrible voice actors to screw up the movie for children. no, seriously, cantonese voice actors are horrible.
Interstellar is doing fine it is only a bit behind Inception despite having much stiffer competition and less mainstream appeal. Honestly that Interstellar is doing as good as it is shows just how much Nolan's name has become a draw for mainstream audiences.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
Insanity_Incarnate said:
Metalrocks said:
Interstellar is doing fine it is only a bit behind Inception despite having much stiffer competition and less mainstream appeal. Honestly that Interstellar is doing as good as it is shows just how much Nolan's name has become a draw for mainstream audiences.
In agreement there certainly in my local cinema there was a more diverse range of people watching than you would of expected 5-10 years ago.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
the bright, colorful, action-oriented family film is outdoing the philosophical, contemplative, Space-Odyssey-inspired three-hour epic. How the HELL is this newsworthy? Yes Bob, we get, Nolan beat you up and took your lunch money. We got it a few months ago. We got a YEAR ago. We can stop hearing about it now.

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
If Dumb and Dumber whatever or antoher Hunger Games end up making more money then Interstellar Im gonna be so deeply disappointed with the general cinema-going population :/