Friday Box Office: Guardians of The Galaxy Is a Record-Breaking Smash

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Friday Box Office: Guardians of The Galaxy Is a Record-Breaking Smash

The Marvel hot-streak marches on

It seems not even an openly-bizarre set of characters, a lack of major (onscreen) stars and the absence of any Marvel heroes remotely recognizable to mainstream audiences can dampen moviegoers ongoing enthusiasm for the Marvel Cinematic Universe; as their offbeat sci-fi action/comedy Guardians of The Galaxy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9615-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Surprise-This-Movie-Rocks] has exploded analysts' expectations with a huge $36 million+ estimated Friday box-office take (with some projecting that the total could climb as high as $38 million when all sales are counted.)

That total includes $11.2 million earned from Thursday night preview screenings - the most taken at such previews by any film in 2014 thus far. A $92 - $96 million weekend total is now projected, with some positing that $100 million is within the realm of possibility given enthusiastic audience reactions and overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics. It's also likely that the film benefited from a near-total lack of new competition (only the James Brown biopic Get On Up was also released wide) and a 4,000+ screen commitment breaking another August record.

While it's all-but certain that Marvel now has another profitable franchise (a sequel was already greenlit a week before it opened) and a new superstar in Chris Pratt ("Star Lord"), the film's long-term box-office could well be impacted by the debut of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the disaster film Into The Storm next week. TMNT has been tracking soft given its franchise pedigree (under $40 million) but could experience an unexpected boost from younger fans of the most recent animated incarnation on TV.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/box-office-preview-guardians-of-the-galaxy-expected-to-rock-et-the-down-low-on-get-on-up/]

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Nice to hear it's doing well. I can't wait to see it.

Chris Pratt is an actor whose work I've really enjoyed and Bautista was great in the WWE. And it's been fun seeing Vin doing the promotion circuit to say "I AM GROOT" in multiple languages.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Awesome, the better a movie about a gun toting raccoon, the better. We need more movies that are different like this one to succeed. After this, Pacific Rim, and Godzilla, things are looking up for the movie scene. Can't wait to see this movie.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
Great film. Rocket is amazing. The post credit scene is not worth waiting around for though.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Today is the day I add to that projected weekend epic budget. I'm looking forward to it. Also... I would have to disagree about the "lack of major (onscreen)stars" bit. I don't think there isn't anyone in that cast that isn't known enough to say that. I hate the whole mentality that if it doesn't have one of Hollywood's top 5 in it, it's lacking stars is just short sighted. There isn't a bad actor in the whole cast, just no one who really won any big awards, which is a problem with Hollywood, not the films or the actors.

Also: I love the pot shots at Ninja Turtles. I think everyone is projecting so hard on that film. The director is famously hated and they gave the turtles lips means the movie looks horrible... which is funny, but I certainly haven't seen any thing that is hate worthy in any of the ads for the movie... well except for mecha-Shredder.... I'm not feeling that.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Saw an advanced screening. loved it, keen to see it again. I did notice some scenes from the trailers weren't in the movie so I'm looking forward to a directors cut.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
lee1287 said:
Great film. Rocket is amazing. The post credit scene is not worth waiting around for though.
Couldn't disagree more, my friends and I (and apparently most of the people in the audience given the reaction) loved the end credit scene. It was hilarious.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Zontar said:
lee1287 said:
Couldn't disagree more, my friends and I (and apparently most of the people in the audience given the reaction) loved the end credit scene. It was hilarious.
Agreed. I can't say I was expecting them to play THAT particular card (at least this soon), but I'm glad they did.

OT: Glad to see a good movie doing well. I'm not sure if GotG is as good as the Avengers, but it's definitely a great flick. I'll probably be seeing it again before it leaves theaters.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
As expected, I'll be seeing it on Tuesday and can't wait! And it makes me laugh even harder at all the voices of dissension over the past year 'predicting' it would never do well.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
The end scene only works if you actually know who he is talking too, otherwise I can see how it would go over most folks heads, kinda like the Thanos scene at the end of Avengers, it's going to leave a lot of folk going 'who the f*ck is that?' I did know who it was go while I would have preferred a post credits scene that teased some sort of link to the on going MCU events I still found it quite funny and later made me think, are Marvel teasing this guy for his own future movie?

Other than that loved the movie, easily the best of the second phase MCU movies in front of Thor 2, Winter Solider and Ironman 3 a very distant last. Can't wait to see how they tie in to the Avengers third phase stuff but they surely have to tie in some how?

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I gave Marvel my money, and I'd gladly do it again. Worth the trip and the dough.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I think the only marvel movies i wont watch again are Ironman 2 and 3 as they were awful. Everything else has been great. I really hope they keep up the level of quality in their movies in the future and not get complacent with all the wins.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Arawn said:
I gave Marvel my money, and I'd gladly do it again. Worth the trip and the dough.
Yep. Went for a second time today. Enjoyed it as much as the first time. Rocket...really is amazing.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
This movie is so good that even people who have no idea who any of the characters are will love it. I know from experience, I had no idea who anyone was and it was still great and the whole thing is so consistently well done I may even buy it on Blu-ray. I currently own 10 Blu-rays in total.