Friday Box-Office: Guardians Still On Top in Summer's Deadest Week

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Friday Box-Office: Guardians Still On Top in Summer's Deadest Week

Marvel space epic continues to dominate as Summer winds down

The week after Labor Day is traditionally among the weakest in terms of movie attendance in the United States, and 2014 appears no different. [http://deadline.com/2014/09/guardians-of-the-galaxy-no-1-friday-sleepy-labor-day-frame-830339/]

With no major new releases in competition, Marvel's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/guardians%20of%20the%20galaxy] back into that spot for the final weekend numbers.

There still isn't a major Fall blockbuster on the horizon until The Maze Runner on September 19, some analysts are projecting a stronger-than-expected performance from the Idris Elba home-invasion thriller No Good Deed this Friday.

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2014/09/guardians-of-the-galaxy-no-1-friday-sleepy-labor-day-frame-830339/]

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
As an aside, I have been noticing a ton of people talking about parks and recreation since Guardians came out. I myself didn't start watching it on netflix till after seeing the movie, and I have overheard 2 different conversations at restraunts where people where talking about it as well. I'm wondering how many people are watching the show now because of how good the movie was.

I don't watch movies twice usually (not at least until a few years have passed), but if I was going to watch a movie again this year, it would certainly be Guardians (though I did like Malificient as well).

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
So is this most domestic (and by domestic I mean USA) money made in 2014 because surprisingly it does easily beat transformers but at the same time it has a long way to go before it makes the most money internationally this year. Also seems kind of funny how this film is essentially squashing the big Marvel heroes, almost makes you wonder if people care about superheros or just "BAD ASS" characters like Tony Stark, Nick Fury and Star Lord since those films made the most money.

p.s. by Nick Fury I meant the films he appears in heavily (Iron Man 2, Avengers, Cap 2)

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
As someone who loved the Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy comics years back, seeing them almost overnight go from "who?" to the #1 movie of the year thus far is like loving this great little local indie band that one day performs during the SuperBowl Halftime and knocks it out of the park with millions of new fans talking about how great they are.

It feels good.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Akiraking said:
So is this most domestic (and by domestic I mean USA) money made in 2014 because surprisingly it does easily beat transformers but at the same time it has a long way to go before it makes the most money internationally this year. Also seems kind of funny how this film is essentially squashing the big Marvel heroes, almost makes you wonder if people care about superheros or just "BAD ASS" characters like Tony Stark, Nick Fury and Star Lord since those films made the most money.

p.s. by Nick Fury I meant the films he appears in heavily (Iron Man 2, Avengers, Cap 2)

US only GotG is still way behind all 3 Iron man films, the Avengers and the first 3 Spiderman films (yes even Spiderman 3).

If you adjust for inflation you can add the first two X-men films as well.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
This makes me sad that i didn't go see it when it was in theaters around me, DAM MY FINANCIALLY EMBARRASSED SITUATION!

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Trishbot said:
As someone who loved the Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy comics years back, seeing them almost overnight go from "who?" to the #1 movie of the year thus far is like loving this great little local indie band that one day performs during the SuperBowl Halftime and knocks it out of the park with millions of new fans talking about how great they are.

It feels good.

For me it's like my neighbor's garage band that used to be a little rough but still friendly, only now they've grown into proper musicians and are blowing the world away, Wyld Stallyns style. :)

I've always preferred Marvel's stable of characters since I started reading comics in my youth. But the street level guys are the ones who really spoke to me. Peter Parker (boy gets powers thrust upon him), Punisher (ultimate revenge fantasy), the late 80s Ghost Rider (Danny Ketch finds a weird amulet that curses him with powers), Captain America(90 lb weakling gets power but stays true to self), Tony Stark(the guy who built his power from his own ingenuity). You know, the heroes who work primarily on Earth dealing with whatever the writers come up with for Earth to be threatened by. As much as I loved and respected Jack Kirby's work, the Marvel sci-fi was something I only ever dabbled with in big events like Infinity Gauntlet. (Thanos Rocks)

Suddenly this thing I knew about but didn't fully embrace is made new and exciting. All these interesting characters I never invested in before are now available and newly accessible in a movie universe I was already enjoying. It's very exciting.

As for Bob's prediction for next week, after Pacific Rim I'd watch Idris Elba read the phone book for 2 hours. If he's in a movie, you can call me interested.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Saw, it here in Brazil. It is starting to get out of theaters but the session was full, and everybody is loving it.

I loved it big time. And loved it more after reading these

http://www.eonline.com/news/571490/chris-pratt-visits-children-s-hospital-los-angeles-in-costume-as-star-lord-from-guardians-of-the-galaxy?cmpid=tweol-manual

http://merryweatherblue.tumblr.com/post/94638266248/i-took-my-little-brother-who-falls-on-the-autism

https://www.facebook.com/michael.mantlo/posts/10152701024174623

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Loved GotG, but the every day people? Im so impressed that it has done so well with the general public. See DC and Marvel people love weird superhero movies as long as the story is and characters are great.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Man this summer has been AWFUL for movies. Not only has most of the product out been terrible from an entertainment perspective but when you get into financials it's even worse. This is one of the lowest-grossing summers in recent memory. Not good for people on many different fronts.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
just came from watching this, nothing mindblowing but definitively enjoyable, i felt the film suffered a bit the first dozens of minutes establishing the universe, but well i guess it couldnt be helped, im still happy marvel took the risk and something good came out of it

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Aiddon said:
Man this summer has been AWFUL for movies. Not only has most of the product out been terrible from an entertainment perspective but when you get into financials it's even worse. This is one of the lowest-grossing summers in recent memory. Not good for people on many different fronts.
According to Box Office Mojo, if you take inflation into consideration this is the worst summer box office since 1992 and if you just look at the numbers its the worst since 2006. Which is saying a lot considering how theaters are trying to gouge patrons for money with increased ticket prices with things like 3D or AVX movie showings. I can only imagine what it would have been like without Guardians of the Galaxy or Turtle movie.

Major_Tom said:
Labor Day? I didn't know Guardians was released back in May.
I like to think of it being that Labor Day is flaky and likes to change what day it is based on where you are in the world.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
MovieBob said:
Marvel's Guardians of The Galaxy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/guardians%20of%20the%20galaxy] one again easily held onto the top spot
Hmmm....

OT: I went and saw it again today. I've never really noticed before, but ya, the movie scene does always seem to be kind of lacking at this time of year. Maybe it's because it's my birthday and film makers are conspiring against me to not let me see anything new on my birthday weekend.

Slayer4472

Sep 1, 2014
Aiddon said:
You know, if they made some decent movies, we'd go watch them, and then they'd make plenty of money.

That being said, Guardians was awesome. I saw it with my sister and we both loled so hard.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
RedDeadFred said:
OT: I went and saw it again today. I've never really noticed before, but ya, the movie scene does always seem to be kind of lacking at this time of year. Maybe it's because it's my birthday and film makers are conspiring against me to not let me see anything new on my birthday weekend.
And I honestly think this is the biggest reason it is doing so well. There is absolutely nothing out there worth watching.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I honestly love that this is happening! I have really enjoyed what Marvel has been putting together, but I honestly like this movie the most out of all of their current lineup... even moreso than the Avengers. Good on you, GoTG! :)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Makabriel said:
RedDeadFred said:
And I honestly think this is the biggest reason it is doing so well. There is absolutely nothing out there worth watching.
Not in America maybe. In Argentina, Guardians was #1 for one week. Second week was TMNT's as #1. Since then a local movie has led the box office as #1 for three weeks now, with TMNT and Guardians falling well behind.