FRIDAY BOX-OFFICE: Maleficent Reigns, McFarlane's Cowboy Shoots Blanks

Alexei F. Karamazov

Feb 22, 2014
I honestly don't see what the appeal of Maleficent is to people. I mean, it looks like they just ripped-off all of the best fight scenes from Lord of the Rings! And actually, since Maleficent herself turns into a dragon, I guess they gave The Hobbit the same treatment as well. The ironic thing is, Lord of the Rings is FAR more interesting than the story of some lady who's generally a ***** (but she's just misunderstooooooood!!!) and is also a dragon.

That, and I fail to see how a platoon of men with pointy sticks can take on an army of ents. I already saw how that turned out in The Two Towers, and it should logically end the same way! And the ents have a fire breathing dragon! I'm predicting that they're just going to pull the "humans win because humans" card, which makes me even less willing to see the movie. I think the only people who are going to this is are families, since the PG rating allows parents to take their little angels to see some PG violence and have a happy ending where the heroic humans triumph over the much cooler opposing force and devil-dragon.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dragonbums said:
The original fairy tales were brutal to begin with. I just find it ironic that the same studio that made them all sappy, puppy dogs and rainbows is now turning around and hitting more close to home.
Now to wait for Disney to make remake Hercules and actually have it be based off of the actual Greek myth. Would save kids the horrors of learning that Greek Mythology isn't as happy go-lucky as Disney portrayed it as being when in the sixth grade. :p

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I saw A Million Ways to Die in the West and I thought it was pretty good, it had us laughing quite a bit. Better than I expected it would be.

Too many people get some silly reason to not see a movie because of an actor or a director. Stop being so smug and self righteous about it and just let a movie be a movie.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Hopefully going to see Maleficent this week. I saw A Million Ways to Die in the West, and it was absolute garbage. The whole Sarah Silverman is nice girl but also a dirty, filthy whore routine peaked when she sung, I'm Fucking Matt Damon on Jimmy Kimmel and has since grown really, really stale. And the shock comedy also missed the mark more than it hit, at least for me.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
Vault101 said:
ive come to notice in my old age that comedies tend to be very "bro-ish" affairs....hence why I don't watch them

I'll admit I haven't seen "die in the west"...but you know what owuld have been cool?

The Heat...in the west

seriously
#DoyouevenBromoviebro?

0T; haven't seen either, yet. Though i dislike Seth, and having no kids to take to see Maleficent i doubt i will, was bad enough seeing MR Peabody and Sherman on my own. The looks i got!

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
youji itami said:
" will have legs similar to last year's Oz: The Great & Powerful, which went on to be a gargantuan international smash."

A world wide gross of less than $500 million on a production budget of over $215 million (plus what ever they spent on marketing) is hardly a success let alone a 'gargantuan international smash'.

Turn the Sam Raimi worship down a bit.
I think Kumagawa has come back with a vengeance from under the bridge. Good luck Bob, these people can be hard to shake.

OT: I'm kind of glad. While most people are annoyed with these edgy retellings of stories/films, I kind of like them, at least when they are done somewhat well. I realize some might not, but they are right up my alley. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure.