Friday Box Office: Ninja Turtles Defeat Marvel's Guardians

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
zellosoli said:
not that i'm surprised by this, but is has got me thinking

who IS actually seeing these movies? I mean maybe I'm talking from a bubble here since myself and my friend group and such did not see (nor really have any intention of seeing) this or any Bay movie.

there is one guy i know who dose see all his movies (he's really only an aquatence through one of my LAN friends) and he's the kinda guy who shrugged and said "bummer" when the Doc's told him he had diabetes.

I mean, I cant be one of the smart ones right? (hell i'm average at best). it has to be something more to this like some sort of "the movie guys behind bay are just saying its a hit over and over so that they can convice people its a good movie and get money from....something" I dunno but not "the majority of people in the world are like this guy"

Its something to joke about yeah but....seriously?
truckspond said:
I cannot believe this. Guardians was by far the superior movie and yet something worse than a turd thrown onto a cinema screen by a 2 year old and called a movie managed to beat it...

What the hell is wrong with this industry?
You can probably blame exploitation of children for this one instead of society this time. Nickelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has been a huge success. Michael Bay has been riding on children seeing this movie because they want to see the turtles on the big screen. The difference is, of course, that the show is actually very good while the movie is total crap.

OT: Yeah, what I said above is on topic as well but it still is a disappointment. I do think that this movie is going to drop faster than a speeding bullet though. The only thing this movie has going for it is the fact that there is a successful show that will suck poor kids into it. Not even the action is going to save it this time because it is somehow worse than the Transformer's action.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
SonOfVoorhees said:
I predict GotG will stay in the top five movies for a while. Turtles will take a big drop next week.
Yup. In fact I predict it will go back to number one while Turtles takes the huge plop into the toilet. I just don't see it doing repeat business and those that wanted to see it will have seen it this weekend and moved on. Guardians is infinitely more enjoyable and re-watchable. My movie of the year so far.

Tl;dr GotG has legs, TMNT is a souless cash-in that will disappear off the charts.

Edit: Crap. I forgot the Expendables 3 is coming up and then YA dystopian wankfest - The Giver.
Still I don't see Guardians dropping off the charts anytime soon.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well, its aimed for kids. they get exited easily. so obvious that parents will go with them to see the movie. so there, 3-5 people pay for it, just to keep their little dirtbags happy.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
This news must be, if nothing else, a humbling experience for movie critics who spend a not inconsiderable amount of time and effort into making reviews explaining why a particular movie is less-than-stellar only to see that movie make a whole bunch of cash and leave investors (presumably) happy.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
zellosoli said:
not that i'm surprised by this, but is has got me thinking

who IS actually seeing these movies? I mean maybe I'm talking from a bubble here since myself and my friend group and such did not see (nor really have any intention of seeing) this or any Bay movie.

there is one guy i know who dose see all his movies (he's really only an aquatence through one of my LAN friends) and he's the kinda guy who shrugged and said "bummer" when the Doc's told him he had diabetes.

I mean, I cant be one of the smart ones right? (hell i'm average at best). it has to be something more to this like some sort of "the movie guys behind bay are just saying its a hit over and over so that they can convice people its a good movie and get money from....something" I dunno but not "the majority of people in the world are like this guy"

Its something to joke about yeah but....seriously?
I think it's all the small children that are dragging their parents out to it. The theater I went to this weekend (to see GotG) had little kids running up to and excitedly jumping, pointing and yelling "Ninja Turtles!" at the poster outside the cinema. These were the same crowds I noticed lining up for the movie inside. Guardians is more of a movie for all ages and I'm 110% sure those grown ups would of rather seen that (even a second time) then being dragged to see Turtles by their manipulated kids. Of course you have the uninformed or the hardcore watching it for the nostalgia factor too but the buzz I'm hearing from everyone and from what I've read is that it's a terrible movie. What it has going for it, is name recognition. And that's it.

The children at my screening of Guardians really enjoyed Rocket. And so did the older senior citizen couples. Rocket is so much cooler then Bay's reimagined Turtles :)

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I'm going to go see Guardians of the Galaxy another 300 times to try and reverse this trend. This is just disappointing. Like hearing your child has cancer... a bit hyperbolic, but for fucks sake people!

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Not surprising. Even though everyone knows this is bad, it is a Michael Bay movie so that means people will check it out if only to see just how horribly he messed the franchise up.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
It's at times like this I remember the words of Marvin the Martian.

"I'm not angry, just terribly, terribly hurt."

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
*throws up flame shield*

I'm at least happy for Megan Fox. Oddly, for reasons I cannot figure out, I do wish her well.

Seriously odd. All I know about her is she is cute as hell and at one point, pissed off Bay. There are plenty of women in Hollywood that are cute and pissed off Bay.

Still, Turtles made a mint? Good on her.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
we'll have to see how followup numbers are; I can't imagine this movie really having any sort of legs especially with how nasty word of mouth has been. At least I hope so because we REALLY don't need another Bay-produced piece of junk stinking up the theater

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Super Cyborg said:
I know that the opening weekend is always looked at for potential success, but it could still turn out like ASM2 and the amount drops significantly the next weekend. If it does and overall performance is lower than they expected, then maybe there won't be a sequel? I only assume it could happen for this one because it's only the first movie, unlike Spider Man which was a second movie with a clear future of the franchise.

GotG (dropped 55%) already dropped more than ASM2 (dropped 53%) yet that's good now /s

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Why is anyone surprised that TMNT, a kid targeted franchise, beat out Guardians which is more adult themed. Comics aren't solely for kids, at least they're no longer targeted that way. Doesn't mean they can't be, but its not the same as a toy franchise (thats really all TMNT amounts to since the inception of the cartoon/Archie era).

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
ron1n said:
Reminds me of Grown Ups 2 beating out Pacific Rim on the opening weekend last year.

Can never underestimate the earning power of junk family/kids features unfortunately.
Ouch... to remember it brings a lot of pain... like a fork in the brain.

Guess I'll have to watch GotG again and keep telling people about it.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Well it is time to see Guardians of the Galaxy! I will don't want to be part of the problem. Hopefully the new turtle movie dies after opening weekend.

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
Sure, loads of people paid to go see it, but how many of those enjoyed it? Box Office numbers are one thing, reviews (critic based and general audience based) are another.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Ya but guardians had a huge opening weekend much larger than TMNT, so this title is pretty pointless. Some hollywood execs didn't think TMNT did as well as it did, but most didn't think Lucy would beat out Heracles either so there ya go.

I'd not be surprised if TMNT was below guardians next week.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
wooty said:
When I first heard about who was producing this abomination reboot, a few questions did come to mind.

1: How can a katana make big massive OTT Baysplosions?
2: How can a pair of nunchucks make big massive OTT Baysplosions?
3: How can a pair of Sai make big massive OTT Baysplosions?
4: How can a wooden pole make big massive OTT Baysplosions?
The last one the wooden pole it's call a Bo........ Don't ask it was bugging me sorry I'll go be a know it all somewhere else.