Friday Box Office: Ninja Turtles Defeat Marvel's Guardians

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
No no. Anita Sarkeesian would just release a video ranting about how misogynistic this TMNT movie is.
All she'd need to do is release a video. The anguish would be sufficient.

V4Viewtiful said:
hey, lets not go there, then we'd have to talk about Syria, Nigeria, Ukraine gun violence on the street corner, women...
And John Denver on compact disc.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
canadamus_prime said:
No no. Anita Sarkeesian would just release a video ranting about how misogynistic this TMNT movie is.
All she'd need to do is release a video. The anguish would be sufficient.
Yeah that woman get's way more attention than she deserves, but that's a topic for another thread.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Yeah that woman get's way more attention than she deserves, but that's a topic for another thread.
It just dovetailed with a zinger, so I went for it.

It was her or John Barrowman, and a lot fewer people would get why I was blaming it all on Barrowman.

BARROWMAN *shakefist*

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Vigormortis said:
I don't know what I find more humorous.

That we're reporting on this in such a manner as to indicate that it actually matters. At all.

- or -

The incredible amount of ridiculous, hyperbolic overreaction people are demonstrating at this news. It's as if they think their admiration and enjoyment of GotG is entirely predicated on it being, and remaining, more popular than things they don't like. (seriously people? GotG has already made it's fucking money and has a guaranteed sequel. calm the fuck down)
I used to find it funny, much like the people who use the I dont want to live on this planet anymore thing over the stupidest shit. Then it kept happening over and over and it stopped being funny and started being really depressing.

On topic

Not entirely surprising. Ninja turtles has both a nostalgia thing going for it as well as a very successful animated series currently running. The movie has fuck all to do with either, but the names the same so it has the name recognition going for it at least. Whether it still continues strong next week is anyones guess though.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
canadamus_prime said:
It just dovetailed with a zinger, so I went for it.

It was her or John Barrowman, and a lot fewer people would get why I was blaming it all on Barrowman.

BARROWMAN *shakefist*
I don't. What did John Barrowman do that was so evil?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I said it once, and I'll say it again: Ticket Sales =/= Good Movie.

It's reasons like this that I haven't been to a movie theater in years. I don't hate Michael Bay for appealing to the lowest common denominator and bastardizing one franchise after the next, I hate him because apparently the general public keeps paying to see this crap ensuring that more of it will get made.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Even if it meets only the low $40 million projection, combined with the almost guaranteed massive foreign sales, there IS going to be sequels. Much like Transformers it's going to make money if only cause its a brain-dead popcorn movie. I think the 80's action movies, 90's disaster movies, Titanic, Star Wars episodes 1-3, the twilight movies, and many of the franchises today prove that flashy popcorn movies are here to stay.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
I get sucked into seeing the transformers movie for no good reason. But turtles is something I won't be seeing, not even when its on tv.

Guardians of the Galaxy I haven't seen but I will either rent or buy it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ah, that's a load of bull. Guardians was frigging sweet as a movie, great delivery and all.

zellosoli

Aug 22, 2011
SweetShark said:
zellosoli said:
not that i'm surprised by this, but is has got me thinking

who IS actually seeing these movies? I mean maybe I'm talking from a bubble here since myself and my friend group and such did not see (nor really have any intention of seeing) this or any Bay movie.

there is one guy i know who dose see all his movies (he's really only an aquatence through one of my LAN friends) and he's the kinda guy who shrugged and said "bummer" when the Doc's told him he had diabetes.

I mean, I cant be one of the smart ones right? (hell i'm average at best). it has to be something more to this like some sort of "the movie guys behind bay are just saying its a hit over and over so that they can convice people its a good movie and get money from....something" I dunno but not "the majority of people in the world are like this guy"

Its something to joke about yeah but....seriously?
Emm....me? I am the reason why M.B. make more movies like this.
But please don't hurt me, because my taste is different from others.
I once heared a critic hate the Dark Knight movie. He had good reasons to hate it. But guess what? I didn't cared. I LOVE DARK KNIGHT!!!! I AM THE KNIGHT!!!!!
Maybe I like the new TNT movie. Maybe I won't. So this movie is a rental for me.
dude this isnt hate, i dont HATE the people who go and see M.B movies
I'm just amazed (and concerned) at the amount of people who do go, (though as some of the others who pointed out, it seems to be a lot of kids with parents so that kinda solved my quandary)

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Mn, that's not bad. The TMNT movie was actually pretty entertaining. It was dumb and fun and it knew it.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Oh noes! I've fallen for the click bait and I can't get up! Please, would someone be so kind to throw down a length of knotted rope? Or maybe even a ladder?

Whenever a Michael Bay film comes out I prefer to think of the positives. Like how good, decent-enough people will have work because Bay has a knack for getting a certain demographic out and into movie theatres. Nobody is holding a gun to my head and forcing me to watch it, so far as I'm concerned it's a good thing that Bay is out there making his particular brand of schlock.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
zellosoli said:
SweetShark said:
zellosoli said:
not that i'm surprised by this, but is has got me thinking

who IS actually seeing these movies? I mean maybe I'm talking from a bubble here since myself and my friend group and such did not see (nor really have any intention of seeing) this or any Bay movie.

there is one guy i know who dose see all his movies (he's really only an aquatence through one of my LAN friends) and he's the kinda guy who shrugged and said "bummer" when the Doc's told him he had diabetes.

I mean, I cant be one of the smart ones right? (hell i'm average at best). it has to be something more to this like some sort of "the movie guys behind bay are just saying its a hit over and over so that they can convice people its a good movie and get money from....something" I dunno but not "the majority of people in the world are like this guy"

Its something to joke about yeah but....seriously?
Emm....me? I am the reason why M.B. make more movies like this.
But please don't hurt me, because my taste is different from others.
I once heared a critic hate the Dark Knight movie. He had good reasons to hate it. But guess what? I didn't cared. I LOVE DARK KNIGHT!!!! I AM THE KNIGHT!!!!!
Maybe I like the new TNT movie. Maybe I won't. So this movie is a rental for me.
dude this isnt hate, i dont HATE the people who go and see M.B movies
I'm just amazed (and concerned) at the amount of people who do go, (though as some of the others who pointed out, it seems to be a lot of kids with parents so that kinda solved my quandary)
Nah, I am joking. I know you don't hate me. But it seems the critics hate our kind. Especially Spoony One.
As I said, many people say a lot of negative things, but in reality they will go see these movies [most of them, not all of them]. Curiosity is a big major factor. Myself I am curious to see Tranformers 2 after so long time. Maybe I like this movie. I am positive I DON'T, but I will never know if I don't see.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Kenbo Slice said:
She did look better before she had plastic surgery though.

Both pictures are very nice, thanks for sharing. It is unfortunate that a beautiful young lady like that thinks she needs to be "freshened up". At least it wasn't a botch job nightmare. Those are horrifying.

WarpedLord said:
Sure, she's not a great actress or anything and her mouth can sometimes get away from her, but that doesn't warrant the hatred people seem to feel towards her.
It is odd. Nice to see her doing well though.

I'm sure I want to see this turtle movie at least when it comes out on Bluray.

Nov 28, 2007
Just want to point out that while TMNT is getting really bad reviews from critics, the general audiences seem more divided on it than anything. Rotten Tomatoes gives it an 18% fresh rating from critics, but a 64% fresh ratings from audiences.

For comparison, Transformers 2 got 58% from audiences, Transformers the First got 86% from audiences, DOTM got 56% from audiences, and the new one got 55% from audiences. So, other than the well-received first movie, audiences seem to like TMNT more than the other Transformers films.

As for the box office results...I'm not surprised or disappointed. In fact, the only thing that surprises me is that Guardians of the Galaxy managed to beat out TMNT in their respective opening weekends.

For more good news, look at it this way. Guardians had a developmental cost of $170 million, outside of marketing costs. Let's figure another $30 million for marketing, to make the total $200 million. Only two weeks in, it has made over $175 million in North America, 87.5% of my estimated budget. Mind you, that is just in North America, and just in 2 weeks.

Meanwhile, TMNT is projected to make $60 million this weekend in North America. Not a small amount normally, but GotG performed better its opening weekend, and TMNT has a budget of $125 million, not counting marketing. Using the same $30 million estimate for marketing, that brings up the costs to $155 million. Assuming it reaches the projected profit, it will make back 38% of its money. That's nowhere near as good as GotG is doing.

Now, if you want to go worldwide, it's an even bigger difference. Guardians has currently made $313 million worldwide. Using my estimated budget from before, and taking out any of the minutiae that goes into figuring out profit besides (sales-budget)/budget=profit percentage, it is looking at a 56.5% profit. Already.

TMNT has made $93 million worldwide. Using the same methods as Guardians, that sets its current profit at -40%. Yeah, as far as box office goes, Guardians is totally wiping the floor with TMNT, even making less money this week.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Saucycarpdog said:
Even if it meets only the low $40 million projection, combined with the almost guaranteed massive foreign sales, there IS going to be sequels. Much like Transformers it's going to make money if only cause its a brain-dead popcorn movie. I think the 80's action movies, 90's disaster movies, Titanic, Star Wars episodes 1-3, the twilight movies, and many of the franchises today prove that flashy popcorn movies are here to stay.
The one good thing I'll say about the flashy shit films is that it makes me truly appreciate the movies that actually tell a decent story and provide decent characters.

It's "fortunate" that we have such an appropriate matchup on hand in this very topic: GotG vs Bay's TNMT.

Guardians of the Galaxy is not an especially deep movie or really about anything new (it's just another Hero's Journey).
Both GotG and Bay's TNMT exist solely to entertain. But the thing that kept me happy and able to enjoy GotG was that it wasn't demanding that I leave my brain at the door just to enjoy it AT ALL.

Because the characters MATTERED. Their interactions with each other MATTERED. The story, MATTERED.

In Bay's franchise productions (with or without Bay in the director's chair), none of that matters.
In fact, Bay's films seem to be written as though the plot is just some bothersome burden to get through, like homework.
Which isn't to say GotG is without exposition dumps (one criticism I have of GotG is that until the prison scene, most of the movie is thinly-veiled exposition), but Bay is very very blunt in how he get the plot to proceed.

That is what really separates Bay's recent (and more despised) franchise films from other over-the-top action movies.

For example, in GotG, Rocket's relationship with Quin starts out as being ENTIRELY for money (Quin is just a bounty to be collected) but over time that relationship changes to a closer friendship and we see WHY it changes.

If Michael Bay or one of his cronies wrote GotG, Rocket's development would have started and ended with him blowing shit up because that's what he is known for from the source material and that is what the trailers promised. Rocket would be there, in the background doing...stuff. But he wouldn't matter as a character, or as anything more than incidental to the plot.

And I can say that, because Bay's writers did the same thing with the Transformers series over and over: Demo the cool action shit with the bots in the trailers, then shove them into the background for the bulk of the running time in the actual movie (to make room for a small army of completely irrelevant human characters; why? probably to save money on the already massive CGI budget required to show the bots).