Friday Box-Office: Teen Weepie Crushes Cruise

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Friday Box-Office: Teen Weepie Crushes Cruise

The Fault in Our Stars converts teenage tears to cold hard cash

It wasn't too long ago that Hollywood would've never considered movies aimed at women and/or girls to be a safe bet against a macho scifi/action blockbuster starring Tom Cruise, but tide seems to have rather decisively turned.

Despite positive reviews and heavy marketing, Edge of Tomorrow is set to spend its debut weekend in a disappointing 3rd place slot, buried by the strong showing ($53 million on a $12 million budget by some projections) by young adult juggernaut The Fault in Our Stars and the continued strength of Disney's Maleficent.

The Fault in Our Stars, an adaptation of a best-selling YA novel about the romance between a teenaged cancer patient and a handsome, disabled survivor, was widely expected to win the weekend (and keep Edge from the top spot) based on a strong showing by the film's aggressive social media campaigning. But seeing the Cruise vehicle (likely) taking the bronze against the week-old Maleficent is something of a shocker. The Angelina Jolie starrer has been overperforming across the board, dropping a relatively light 53% in week two. It's possible that Disney's dark fairytale is the beneficiary of "spillover" from sold-out showings of Fault, as both are targeting a traditionally under-served (in summer months) female audience.

Edge is expected to fare better in international markets than domestically. Meanwhile, all rival studios are bracing for next week's arrival of two highly-anticipated blockbuster sequels: Dreamworks' How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Sony's 22 Jump Street.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/box-office-the-fault-in-our-stars-astronomical-opening-knocks-tom-cruise-off-edge-of-tomorrow/]

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Personally, I hated 'Maleficent', after a ballsy first act it got really boring and the only way they could think to make Maleficent interesting was to make every other character either a total moron (the fairies) or a complete prick (Stephen).

My sister told me that 'Fault in Our Stars' had a large fan-base but gawddamn that's pretty nuts, I hated the look of the trailer as from what i've seen TEENAGERS DON'T TALK LIKE THAT but maybe i'm just not the target audience here.

And on a slightly related note, 'HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2'!!!

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Edge of Tomorrow might have been hurt by the fact that it was an IMAX exclusive. I don't know if it was that way everywhere, but it was advertised as such at my theater. I don't mind paying for big action movies like that, but $15 dollars for a ticket can be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

The Fault in Our Stars was bound to win out, though. Freakin' John Green.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Nowhere Man said:
Never underestimate the power of bored teenaged girls with disposable income.
I'm a 24 year old man and I've enjoyed reading The Fault in our Stars. I can safely tell you that its pretty good and putting it in the same category as "Twilightish stuff" is pretty short minded.

Although, the trailer of the Fault in our Star makes it look like a Nicholas Sparks movie which I was told that it wasn't.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Man, I haven't even heard the fault in our stars.

Mahorfeus said:
Edge of Tomorrow might have been hurt by the fact that it was an IMAX exclusive. I don't know if it was that way everywhere, but it was advertised as such at my theater. I don't mind paying for big action movies like that, but $15 dollars for a ticket can be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

The Fault in Our Stars was bound to win out, though. Freakin' John Green.
I don't think it is an imax exclusive. The cinema in my town is showing it on their regular theaters. Also, 15$ isn't so bad compared to the 24$ I pay just to see a regular movie here :c

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Andrew Siribohdi said:
Did anyone here see "Our Fault in the Stars"?

How was it? Was it close to the book?
Went to go see it with my girlfriend- she said it only cut out one or two inconsequential scenes from the book, and changed a line or two of dialogue. Otherwise, she was really happy with how well it represented the book.

But goddamn is that a sad movie.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
RatherDull said:
How many of those sales for The Fault in Our Stars was because of Divergent?

Though Ansel Elgort (Male romantic lead) played Shailene Woodley's (Female lead) brother in Divergent so this is kinda creepy imo.
I'm sure it played a role, but the book has been a major seller on its own and John Green, the author and one of the vlogbrothers on Youtube, has made a lot of publicity for the movie.

Oh man, I'm starting to be "defending guy"?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Nowhere Man said:
Never underestimate the power of bored teenaged girls with disposable income.
You'd think people would know by now not to since they RUN the music industry (why else is all pop radio just variations of relationship talk and shallow dance music?).

Though at least it seems Fault In Our Stars is a good movie. It's got a surprisingly high rating on Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_fault_in_our_stars/

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I haven't even heard of...what is this movie called? Fault In Our Stars? I don't recall seeing a trailer for it or even hearing about the book it's apparently based on. I have no interest in seeing it whatsoever, but usually I'm at least aware of these types of movies.
Still going to see Edge of Tomorrow though. Bob said it's like a video game and I have been waiting for a movie to get that right. Does How to Train Your Dragon 2 really come out that soon? Oh man, where has the time gone...?

On a side note, is this going to be a thing for Bob now? Every Saturday where he reports the top grossing movie of the weekend?

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Why is this the first time I'm even hearing about The Fault in our Stars?

Still, keep a close eye on those international numbers. Competent concept scifi is kind of few and far between (they usually bomb the execution of otherwise interesting ideas.[footnote]On a semi-related note, The Purge sequel actually appears to be doing somewhat what Bob was hoping for (or at the very least moving in that direction), and may turn into an interesting franchise where writers are given the broad concept and figure out what they want to do in that situation[/footnote]

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Tom Cruise aside, wile I am not terribly interested in the film itself, Author Jon Green of The Fault in our Stars is one of the coolest dudes around. Him and his brother Hank do a really good job hosting the YouTube channel Crash Course, and if you haven't checked it out, I suggest that you do. Given the perceived choice of Cruise vs Mr. Green, I am glad that we seem to be choosing Green.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Honestly, this shouldn't come as much of a surprise to anyone. Tom has fallen from grace ever since he went bat-shit crazy and became a scientologist. His fanbase isn't nearly as robust as it used to be and I'd imagine (and no, I have no evidence of this, that's why it's called an opinion) that many people just wish he'd go away and retire already.

That said, even if he was still as relevant and popular at ever this movie STILL wouldn't have stood a chance. "Young Adult" novel movies are all the rage these days...that's why these bullshit hack-authors just trot out some lame trumped up story (Cancer Love........I mean really?) about romance and pain and every girl in the world will drag their boyfriend to go see it.

Seriously, how many times are we going to see a re-write of Romeo and Juliet?

vid87

May 17, 2010
Ryan Hughes said:
Tom Cruise aside, wile I am not terribly interested in the film itself, Author Jon Green of The Fault in our Stars is one of the coolest dudes around. Him and his brother Hank do a really good job hosting the YouTube channel Crash Course, and if you haven't checked it out, I suggest that you do. Given the perceived choice of Cruise vs Mr. Green, I am glad that we seem to be choosing Green.

THEY'RE THE SAME GUY?!

I watch CC and I never made the connection. My respect for him actually makes me think FioS (...weird) could be worth reading/watching.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
vid87 said:
THEY'RE THE SAME GUY?!

I watch CC and I never made the connection. My respect for him actually makes me think FioS (...weird) could be worth reading/watching.
Ha! Yep, they are the same person. John Green is an intelligent and insightful person -just watching his youtube work makes that pretty obvious- and even though I have not read Fault in our Stars, any novel written by him must be a dramatic improvement over the tripe that has been sold to teens over the last few years. If teens are putting down Twilight and picking up John Green novels, I cannot see that as anything but a very positive development for them, and the rest of society in general.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Ryan Hughes said:

Green is a cool guy that desires to make learning cool (And if you're an adult, he does approach historic and literature analysis from some angles that are different than what you got in school, it's worth it taking a look at crash course).

Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise Crazy, and the space pope.

Green wins.