Friendliest Game Store Employee You've Met?

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Once, while in Richmond, visiting my big sis, I happened upon the Cary Street Play'n'Trade.
Looking for MGS3: Subsistence as I was, I stopped inside and inquired about where I may obtain the game.

As the Subsistence wasn't on the shelf, or in the box of caseless games, the manager went to check in the back, and upon finding that they most certainly did not have the game in stock, he gave me his business card, saying that should I happen to be in the area again, I could call, and he would recheck the stock.
What a nice guy.

So, have you met any particularly nice/ awesome employees at a game store?

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
There is a nice woman by the name of Olga near me at Gamestop. She has been particularly fond of me after I added back a PSP game back onto my tab that she hadn't put on the reciet, but had given me. We are friends, and we exchange small talk whenever I am in the area.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I don't care what you haters say, I think GameStop employees are patient and helpful.

I guess my best story, since I hardly go game shopping, is when I couldn't find a pack of Battlefield games I had seen earlier, upon asking they checked their supply, then checked online to find it at another store for us.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Yes, Kevin from the mall Gamestop. If you were about to buy a bad game, he would tell you, and he would recommend a better game. And he's just really friendly and nice. I've met a few others, but their name tags weren't as prominently displayed.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
A guy I know at the local Book & Music (despite the name it is really about used games and anime) is extremely lenient with store policy and is extra helpful with questions. He'll also strike up conversations. Really nice guy.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Jason from the Gamestop I go to. Funny guy, friendly and happy. He is very good with children, and is always helpful with picking out games.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
TheYellowCellPhone said:
I don't care what you haters say, I think GameStop employees are patient and helpful.

I guess my best story, since I hardly go game shopping, is when I couldn't find a pack of Battlefield games I had seen earlier, upon asking they checked their supply, then checked online to find it at another store for us.
I thought that was par for the course. They did the same thing for me (Hyperdimension Neptunia) and talked like it was their job. GameStop employees do tend to be nice and helpful until you get to the register. Then they spend 7 minutes trying to get you to sign up for various things. I just grit my teeth and smile while repeatedly saying "No thanks" as calmly as possible.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:

I thought that was par for the course. They did the same thing for me (Hyperdimension Neptunia) and talked like it was their job. GameStop employees do tend to be nice and helpful until you get to the register. Then they spend 7 minutes trying to get you to sign up for various things. I just grit my teeth and smile while repeatedly saying "No thanks" as calmly as possible.
I have the rewards card for the store, myself, and I don't mind it. I occasionally check (usually after buying a game) to see how many points I have, and see if there are any vaguely interesting prizes (there usually aren't), but the discount on used titles doesn't hurt.

Also, it comes with a Gameinformer subscription, so that's another plus.

The way the aggressively try to sell is on you is a pain, though.

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Amanda (Gamestop) is one of the best retail employees -- game store, or otherwise -- that I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. She's always friendly and helpful, not to mention very good at her job. For instance, she managed to convince my very anti-tech friend to get a DS. Recently, Amanda's been bringing in her own 3DS to show customers, since the store didn't have a display. I hope the Lewistown Gamestop knows what an asset they've got!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Never really had friendly ones, just dicks.
Seriously, I'm 16. I look 16. Sell me a Sims game for mother's day, I don't look like a fucking eleven year old.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
A GameStop employee at the store near my college. He and I have remarkably similar taste in games, so we end up chatting about whatever I'm planning to buy and/or whatever one of us has been playing lately every time I come in.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Well there was this one guy that I encountered while in Akureyri. I bought Heavy Rain despite not being 18 and he jokingly said that he didn't mind as long as my parents wouldn't call the store batshit insane, then for some reason we fell into about 5 minute talk about games in general. I finalized my purchase, shook his hand because he was a nice guy, walked out and vowed to never return to Akureyri because it sucks for the most part.

bodyguarddied

Oct 25, 2009
When I was younger, I went to a Blockbuster to rent the new Test Drive for my PS2 which had just came out that day. It wasn't on the shelf, but the guy went in the back, opened their new shipments just to get that game for me. Damn shame that Blockbuster near me closed down...

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Pretty much every employee at every gamestop we have here in town is great. I may be biased though, I know them fairly well.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Yeah actually, most are pretty nice guys :p I mean, I went to trade in timeshift and he said "you brought this?" in that tone of "oh you poor guy". It was hilarious.

Actually, I think I know all the guys at my local game :p Besides that one bloke who doesn't work there anymore. Its gotten to the point where we'll take bets on things, and if they win, I buy points and raise their rating. If I win, they pay for it.

They still win either way, but its friendly

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Kate, john and me.

Kate helped me deal with Moms who buy games for their children without reading the warning signs.

John covered my ass when I came in late one morning after oversleeping. I repaid my debt for him at an Midnight release later that year.

And then there's me. I have a speech impediment and often take my time to talk to people. Also I won't brother asking people if they have a reward card unless they ask me. You'll be surpised how often people forget they have those things.

Yes, I also worked at an Gamestop in philly.

Stalk3rchief

Sep 10, 2008
There's a gamestop in a tiny Florida town called St.Cloud (right next to Kissimmee) and every one of their employees are pretty helpful. I don't know the Managers name, but he looks like
This guy
Story: I needed just 10 more dollars to buy Dragon Age 2, but since I didn't have it I bought a different game. I get the money the next day and immediately take the game back to return it. His exact words "We're not allowed to take returns on new games, but I'm going to let this one slide. With the game you owe we a total of 18 cents to buy Dragon Age 2."
I nearly hugged the man.
lol
The guy is just always helpful, it's almost crazy how good he is at selling things and NOT ripping you off.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
The manager of a store that no longer exists (the chain got bought out) in Denver. I'm dating myself here, but I wanted to buy a game that came on 5.25" disks, and I only had a 3.5" floppy drive. The guy took time out and went out of his way to copy all of the disks onto 3.5" floppies for me so I could go ahead and have the game. He was a great guy.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
Dr. wonderful said:
Kate, john and me.

Kate helped me deal with Moms who buy games for their children without reading the warning signs.

John covered my ass when I came in late one morning after oversleeping. I repaid my debt for him at an Midnight release later that year.

And then there's me. I have a speech impediment and often take my time to talk to people. Also I won't brother asking people if they have a reward card unless they ask me. You'll be surpised how often people forget they have those things.

Yes, I also worked at an Gamestop in philly.
You guys sound like a great team.
I'd love to see you guys in action.