Frieza Returns In New Dragon Ball Z Movie For 2015

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Frieza Returns In New Dragon Ball Z Movie For 2015

Iconic villain will return in 2015 theatrical feature

He's one of the most infamous villains in the Super Saiyan transformation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/dragon%20ball] out of Goku and recurring bugbear to heroes and fellow villains alike after. Now, in 2015, he's coming back to life.

The title, key art and premise for the previously announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136211-New-Dragon-Ball-Z-Movie-Coming-in-2015] 2015 Dragon Ball Z movie have been revealed: Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F ("F is for Fukkatsu," aka "Resurrection"). The film will involve a pair of new villains, Sorbet and Tagoma, who will gather the Dragon Balls in order to resurrect the powerful alien supervillain - presumably to do battle with Goku and the series other heroes. Beerus, a new character introduced in the previous feature Battle of The Gods, will appear as well.

According to Anime News Network's [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-11-17/1st-key-visual-for-2015-dragon-ball-z-film-reveals-frieza/.81112] translation, the text/voices in the trailer say as follows:

Text: The entire universe eagerly awaits
Text: Original concept, scripts, character design
Text: Akira Toriyama
Shenlong: Now, say your wish. I will grant you any one wish only.
Text: There's someone I want you to revive.
Shenlong: Your wish has been granted.
Text: The worst wish in history. Now, despair begins.

Created in 1989 in the pages of Weekly Shonen Jump by DB/DBZ creator Akira Toriyama, Frieza has consistently remained one of the franchise's most popular villains for over two decades. His re-emergence is part of the series' continued resurgence in the popular culture, as the previous theatrical film marked the first new Dragon Ball feature in almost 17 years. Fukkatsu no F will debut in Japanese theaters during Golden Week, with International release dates yet to be announced.

Source: Anime News Network [http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-11-17/1st-key-visual-for-2015-dragon-ball-z-film-reveals-frieza/.81112]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/comics-and-cosplay/]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Hm...will Frieza actually be a threat I wonder.
For me, I've always loved Dragonball Z, but I always felt that the order of villains should have been Cell (staying on Earth), Frieza, then Majin Buu. The reason is because Frieze was played off as being this extremely powerful space emperor who destroyed the entire Saiyan race, but was in reality just a really big weakling in the end with his brother Cooler being more powerful.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Neronium said:
For me, I've always loved Dragonball Z, but I always felt that the order of villains should have been Cell (staying on Earth), Frieza, then Majin Buu. The reason is because Frieze was played off as being this extremely powerful space emperor who destroyed the entire Saiyan race, but was in reality just a really big weakling in the end with his brother Cooler being more powerful.
That would have been the optimal way to go if Cell and Majin Buu were orginally planned for and if Frieza wasn't meant to be the final boss originally. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
CrazyBlaze said:
That would have been the optimal way to go if Cell and Majin Buu were orginally planned for and if Frieza wasn't meant to be the final boss originally. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20.
From what I've read, Majin Buu was never planned, the series was supposed to end after Cell. I say Majin Buu's placement is fine considering he's an ancient evil that challenged and beat the Kais. It's always Cell's placement that I never liked that much along with how weak Frieza turned out to be as well as King Cold.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
They better power him up something fierce. Every time he's shown up in anything after the Namek Saga he's been taken out in like 2 seconds.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Neronium said:
Chances are the writer(s) will contrive something to make him a genuine threat, Dragonball's never been about making complete sense or being completely internally consistent anyway.

Though it would be funny if they brought him back just to get slapped around by every Z fighter, it would remind me of that one movie where he shows up just to get taken out by Gohan in 1 punch.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
gigastrike said:
They better power him up something fierce. Every time he's shown up in anything after the Namek Saga he's been taken out in like 2 seconds.
That section in Hell is pretty funny (DBGT I think?)... :)

That trailer though... really makes me want to reply to it in Dogecoin lingo...
Wow! Such Freeza! Many Excite!

The problem I have is a bit... If these new bad guys revive Freeza, they will probably power him up too.
Doesn't seem super logical that a weakling can power someone up high enough for where Power Levels are at now.
But I hope he actually is the main attraction and his fight lasts a long while.
It would be lame if that Beeru or whatevs will fight the more powerful oponents btw. :\

This should clearly be Goku VS Freeza all the way, but I fear greatly we won't see that, at all........

P.S.
Original Freeza VS Krillin!!! I'd see that!
And it would be funny if he comes back immortal, but so weak even Yamcha will kick his ass for the whole movie. Freeza: "I have regenerated, *****!". Master Roshi: "Prepare to die again, then!".

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Neronium said:
CrazyBlaze said:
From what I've read, Majin Buu was never planned, the series was supposed to end after Cell. I say Majin Buu's placement is fine considering he's an ancient evil that challenged and beat the Kais. It's always Cell's placement that I never liked that much along with how weak Frieza turned out to be as well as King Cold.
The series was never really meant to get up to Frieza from what I've heard. Toriyama was pressured to continue it after the end of Dragonball, which is where he wanted it to end. So he writes the Frieza saga, they go to space, Goku achieves the once thought unnattainable Super Saiyan form and avenges his species. Sounds like a fitting end right?

Nope, do more Toriyama. So he writes the Android/Cell saga. (Which I am personally so glad that he did because that entire arc is one of my favourite in all of anime). Goku is supposed to stay dead, Gohan finally realizes his true potential, Vegeta gives up his arms and appears to be heading towards a family life. Everythings all wrapped up

Until editors once again want Toriyama to write more Dragonball Z, resulting in the Buu saga. Which was enjoyable in its own right I guess, it just wasnt quite as good as the previous two arcs, although it did give Vegeta a huge amount of closure, which was satisfying, really solidifying him as probably the best character in the series.

I wrote a lot, I guess I just really like DBZ ...

Anyway Im super excited to hear this news, I just saw Battle of Gods in theatres just last month with Sean Schemmel making a special appearance. It was one of the better movie experiences I've had in the last few years, and the movie struck a really good balance with being funny along with having fantastic action, so I cant wait to see this :3 (when the english dub comes out)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guessing in order for him to be powered up, he properly end up having a "fifth" transformation.

Also man, was the dead horse they were beating up was a dead saiyan horse to still keep beating it?

vid87

May 17, 2010
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Though it would be funny if they brought him back just to get slapped around by every Z fighter, it would remind me of that one movie where he shows up just to get taken out by Gohan in 1 punch.
There was that OVA a little while back where Vegeta's long-lost brother is fleeing 2 Ginyu Force rejects who have become "as powerful as Frieza." Goku responds that Frieza "wasn't really that strong in hindsight," then sics Goten and Trunks on them.

They're going to need to make Frieza REALLY powerful to get over that kind of shame.

Scarim Coral said:
I guessing in order for him to be powered up, he properly end up having a "fifth" transformation.
That actually makes sense considering that was Cooler's gimmick, but even then SS1 could beat him.

Also, sidenote - I obviously don't know who's bringing Frieza back and why, but I have to wonder if someone like Garlick Jr. would be better to wreck general havoc - since he's already immortal, all that has to happen is the Makio Star to come back which lets him escape the Dead Zone. If he can get rid of Gohan, Krillan, and Piccolo, then keep his mouth shut, no one else would know his power source and he'd probably be invincible. Or hell, just wait another year, then wish for the Makio Star to be indestructible.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Yes, the "worst wish in history" because it's kind of stupid I guess? I don't know. Just staying in line with what few rules the Dragonball universe has, Frieza could be resurrected, but no wish could possibly make him anywhere close to as strong as Goku is. Frieza's power already surpasses that of the Dragonballs' creator, so no such wish could be made. Which means he'd need a far more (or perhaps less) convoluted means of gaining power.

Unless the new villains' plot is more nuanced than what is being suggested, I don't see how this could work. Color me curious though.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
I'm shocked I tell you... if a revival was going to happen I always pegged it as Broly (because his power is maximum, and yes another revival).
I assume the henchmen will reveal they have magic doohickey which will power up Frieza with all the hate towards the Saiyans (Yes like that other movie).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Um... isn't Freiza a bit beneath the heroes now?

BigTuk said:
Come on akira... give Dragonball a rest why don't yah... you're fast becoming the Japanese George Lucas
As much as I love Dragon Ball I have to echo this sentiment. In fact this has been my thinking ever since I first heard of the last movie.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The_Blue_Rider said:
Neronium said:
CrazyBlaze said:
The series was never really meant to get up to Frieza from what I've heard. Toriyama was pressured to continue it after the end of Dragonball, which is where he wanted it to end. So he writes the Frieza saga, they go to space, Goku achieves the once thought unnattainable Super Saiyan form and avenges his species. Sounds like a fitting end right?
This is why it pays to read all the comments before posting: you've already explained the way I heard the "story", that it was supposed to end with Frieza's death considering that he's been built up as the unstoppable super-ultra-mega-holyshitwtf overlord of the galaxy. Considering it takes what, 30 frickin' episodes (possible exaggeration :p) to finally kill the bastard off that's one hell of a final fight. Conversely, when they finally get around to fighting Perfect Cell the battle is over in 10 or so episodes. Buu's a bit of a cheater since there's numerous and completely separate forms to take into account (Fat Buu has his share of fights, just like Super Buu has his share, and Kid Buu - best villain in the series, btw :p - gets his epic final battle).

As for this movie...yeah, I'm with everyone else saying "Ummmm...wtf? Gonna need a bit of a power-boost there, buddy." with regards to wondering how Frieza could possibly stand a threat against the heroes. Hell, I'm pretty sure that at this point Krillin could kick Frieza's ass.

If they're going to be making a new movie, I think they should take the idea that I've always had:
"Hell Championship Tournament."

That is to say, have a World's Martial Arts tourny except have it be down in Hell and involve only villains. Not a single hero in the entire movie, just all the baddies including movie villains.

I'd love to see Kid Buu fight LSSJ Broly. Or Janemba (frickin' love that guy).

......now I wanna start up my own tournament with a series of "vs" topics but I know that's frowned upon around here. Oh well, guess I'll have to leave it to the DBZ games in order to live out my fantasy villain fights. :p

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Oh, that's cool. That means Krillin will have somebody to fight against while Big Daddy Goku takes care of whatever might actually be legitimately frightening.

Seriously though, Bringing back Frieza (again) only because he's the most Iconic villain (not counting Vegeta) would be like bringing back Boba Fett for the new Star Wars movie, or if those dopey Strega guys were the fina; boss of Persona 3

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
EyeReaper said:
Oh, that's cool. That means Krillin will have somebody to fight against while Big Daddy Goku takes care of whatever might actually be legitimately frightening.

Seriously though, Bringing back Frieza (again) only because he's the most Iconic villain (not counting Vegeta) would be like bringing back Boba Fett for the new Star Wars movie, or if those dopey Strega guys were the fina; boss of Persona 3
Whats funny is that Krillin could legitimately beat Frieza at this point without some form of uber powerup for Frieza. Hell, Yamcha could probably put up a decent fight.

Power levels have gone so far into absurdity for every character, includin the humans, that every enemy that used to be a legitimate threat would be pathetically easy to defeat. I think the Janemba movie even played around with that. All the old villians that used to be huge threats come back. Gohan, Krillin, Tien, Piccolo, and Yamcha basically wipe the floor with everyone without breakin much of a sweat.

I mean, I'm all down for Frieza comin back because I dig the idea of Frieza. However there's literally no way for Frieza to be a threat to anyone unless he just pops in and blows up the planet as soon as he shows up before Goku can flick him to death.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Didn't Frieza blow up a planet at one point? And this is a person that you're all saying even a minor character in the series can now easily kill? The never ending inflation of power in DBZ never ceases to amuse me.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Olas said:
Didn't Frieza blow up a planet at one point? And this is a person that you're all saying even a minor character in the series can now easily kill? The never ending inflation of power in DBZ never ceases to amuse me.
It's far worse than that actually, because he was not even the first to pull that stunt.
So Vegeta blew up that bug planet before arriving on Earth, then after losing to Goku he went on to get beat by one of the two advisors Frieza had, I forget his name, but then the Ginyus show up, all five of which were stronger than the one that Vegeta lost to, so that's eight guys who should be reasonably capable of destroying a planet before Frieza even shows up to fight someone.