Frog Fractions 2 Found Buried in Another Game

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Frog Fractions 2 Found Buried in Another Game

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1369/1369882.jpg

Frog Fractions 2 has been discovered in an unrelated game, released earlier this month.

A group calling itself the Glittermitten Grove [http://wiki.gamedetectives.net/index.php?title=Frog_Fractions_2], which launched on Steam on December 13.

When the Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/475057068/frog-fractions-2/description] was first created, project lead Jim Crawford explained that the original was created in order to "evoke the air of mystery that all video games held in the 1980's, before the era of endless preview coverage and official strategy guides took that feeling away from us, seemingly permanently." The goal with the sequel was to up the mystery - in fact, it turned into an internet scavenger hunt.

Crawford wrote that the game would not be called Frog Fractions 2, and implied that it would be hidden, but provided very few details outside of the fact that it would be "considerably larger in scope than Frog Fractions, that the release would not be announced, and that once the game was discovered, backers would begin to receive codes.

To play the game, you must first purchase Glittermitten Grove - which is a full game on its own. After that, you can access Frog Fractions 2 by using "special fribblesham fireworks" that can be used to dig through the ground, leading to a door. That door will take you to Frog Fractions 2. Glittermitten Grove/Frog Fractions 2 is available for $19.99.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
What the hell is Frog Fractions 1 even?

Sounds like a math game for kids you find on old school computers.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Yeah, this whole story makes about as much sense as Frog Fractions 1 did so... Faithful sequel, I suppose?

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Saelune said:

Here you go (along with anyone else asking the same question):

http://twinbeard.com/frog-fractions/

Enjoy discovering the reality of what it is then, there's always more to it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
This is one of those moments that I feel like some sort of unholy chimera.

Part of me thinks this is pretty cool. I mean if Sega hid fully playable versions of Sonic 2 and Sonic Adventure in their upcoming Sonic games without telling anyone, that would be pretty cool.

On the other hand, this feels like something of a dick move. You made a game that people wanted(?) and hid it in a whole other game? Why do this? It feels more like you're trying to force people to buy random games just to play this, at least until someone officially found it. If a studio like Konami or Digital Homicide did this, we'd cry bloody murder.

So yeah, kinda split on this one.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Surely a time where having a crack team of internet investigators with muchious time and resources would be incredibly appreciated right now. Unfortunately, not only does one not have these necessary human connections...Perhaps more importantly, One also does not have credible justification for such an endeavour beyond "because we can! Therefore we must bloody well do so!"
Which is usually good enough for me, but not for convincing the those with the means to do so.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
YES. I FINALLY CAN SLEEP SOUNDLY AGAIN.

I've invested a little bit too much time into tracking down Frog Fractions 2, with a big goose egg as a result.

We've found it. We've finally found it.

brb, buying something.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Saltyk said:

Part of me thinks this is pretty cool. I mean if Sega hid fully playable versions of Sonic 2 and Sonic Adventure in their upcoming Sonic games without telling anyone, that would be pretty cool.

On the other hand, this feels like something of a dick move. You made a game that people wanted(?) and hid it in a whole other game? Why do this? It feels more like you're trying to force people to buy random games just to play this, at least until someone officially found it. If a studio like Konami or Digital Homicide did this, we'd cry bloody murder.

It's difficult to explain.

I'd agree that it was a stupid idea if it was any other game...

...but... this is Frog Fractions. I'd be disappointed if they DIDN'T do this.

Justank

Nov 17, 2010
Dr.Awkward said:
Saelune said:

Here you go (along with anyone else asking the same question):

http://twinbeard.com/frog-fractions/

Enjoy discovering the reality of what it is then, there's always more to it.
Well that was something. Never heard about any of this before this article, it's certainly amusing.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
Saltyk said:

That's kinda the thing actually: They've said ahead of time that they'd do this. When crowdfunding the game they said it wouldn't be called Frog Fractions 2 and it would be hidden, either as a different game entirely or some other means. So this isn't something unexpected.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Saelune said:

I only heard it mentioned in Extra Credits when they recommended Pony Island (a soul draining game designed by Satan himself). So, I expect anything but just math for kids.

The_State

Jun 25, 2008
Saltyk said:

There's a link to the first game in this thread. Play it, then you'll understand the error of your completely forgivable ignorance.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
The_State said:
Saltyk said:

There's a link to the first game in this thread. Play it, then you'll understand the error of your completely forgivable ignorance.
Really, the worst part is when it goes into text adventure mode. I never managed to get past the wire.
It's weird and fun, but damnit, I hate obtuse games.
I'm good at puzzles but I hate those 'guess the command that we want you to use that we aren't telling you about' fuckarounds.

It's nice that they made a weird game with a lot of depth, but when you start throwing obtuse shit at me, I'm closing the game.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
I had no interest in Frog Fractions 2 and I still don't, but dang, Glittermitten Grove actually looks really good for what it is.

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
This is the first time I hear about this game, and it interests me, I really want to try it.