From Halo to World of Warcraft: An Interview With Voice Artist Laura Bailey

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
From Halo to World of Warcraft: An Interview With Voice Artist Laura Bailey

You may not know her name, but you will know her voice. She has been Jaina Proudmoore in World of Warcraft, and done voice work for Diablo 3, Dragon Age, Dragon Ball Z and Halo. She has more than 200 games, anime shows and films to her credit, and Laura Bailey just keeps on going.

Read Full Article

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Very enjoyable read this.

Particularly the love for Ori, like she said, it's a beautiful little game.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
She's pretty awesome. I've enjoyed in her in everything she's done except Diablo III, but that's only because I really really really liked how Anna Graves performed that character first.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Thanks for publishing this interview and a big thanks to Anna for taking part.

I've always hoped to see more exposure for the voice actors used in games as their work is such an essential component of some games.
It can turn a good script into a great story.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
She's certainly a talented voice actress...but that video just reminded me of how terrible dialogue writing in games can be. :p

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
She's also pretty awesome in general. Check out...

She named her sword "Doctor Lobotomy".

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
John Keefer said:
Mikeybb said:
Thanks for publishing this interview and a big thanks to Anna for taking part.
It was Laura, not Anna ;)
This is what happens when I post too late...

You'd think I'd have caught on by the LB all the way through the interview.
Oh, and the title.

Big thanks to Laura too then.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Oh believe me, I know her name all too well, what with being in every anime dub and Japanese game localization known to man.

Interesting read, glad to see it here.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
That's pretty cool. I'm a fan of her voice acting work, and it's always nice to see good voice actors get their due.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
I have such a huge fanboy crush on her and her voice, but I will say that she voices several of my favorite characters in games so hearing her voice coming from them tends to help contribute to that attraction... except for when she voiced a little boy (Kid Trunks and Dende in Dragonball Z). I also have a huge crush on Troy Baker for the same reasons... Besides that, hearing she is a gamer is kind of neat- most of her contemporaries are not (hearing that usually makes me scratch my head- it would be like hearing Robert De Niro doesn't watch movies, Martin Scorsese doesn't know the name of any other directors) and I get that, they're working class people who don't get the same credit as film actors do but I wish more people would understand how important good voice acting is to, well, ANYTHING and give proper credit to the voice actors that can do it well.

The fact of the matter is that without great VO, we would still be stuck in PC Engine/Sega CD/Playstation 1-style voice acting with doofuses talking about Jill Sandwiches and having names like Chairman Steve [from Last Alert] and hearing Laura Bailey still voice acting when the first time I heard her voice was in the early 00's in Dragonball Z up to recently where she voiced Rise in Persona 4 has been an interesting journey to say the least.

I will say if this is a testing for the idea of doing articles on this site interviewing voice actors (and actresses) I would game for that.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
Nice interview. I've always enjoyed Laura Bailey's work; she's been been very prolific in video games. I don't know if it was in the video because I didn't have time to watch 20 minutes worth of footage, but she was also Lady Comstock in Bioshock Infinite, one of the more affecting roles in that game. But mostly she, surprisingly knows...
That show was freakin' hysterical.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
:p Yes! This was a great read! More of this please!

I wrote a post on a thread a while back where people were talking about possible content and suggested interviews with people in the industry beyond just directors and company heads! This is definitely what I would like to see more of!

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Most people with any real interest in game production these days know precisely who Laura Bailey is.

Serana's more or less the only bona fide character in the entirety of vanilla Skyrim, and her Boss in Saints Row IV was a work of genius.

...huh, for some reason I never knew she voiced the female Alex Denton in Deus Ex:IW. I usually played that as a bloke, so I really should go back and give Bailey's Denton a whirl.

Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I wrote a post on a thread a while back where people were talking about possible content and suggested interviews with people in the industry beyond just directors and company heads! This is definitely what I would like to see more of!
Ditto'd. Regular insight into the industry from far more varied points of view would be great.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
My first exposure to Laura Bailey was Saints Row 3 (and whenever I play any of the SR games, I play a FemBoss in large part because of her voice acting). Whenever I'm deciding on a new game to buy, if I see her name as a major character, that's an automatic +1 in the "pro" column for that game.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Since no one has linked it, I think it needs to be done:
Critical Role: http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/

Lot's of familiar voices and voice actors playing 5th edition D&D (with a bit of homebrew rules). It's so much fun!

Captcha: turn the tables. No captcha, you flip them - it's that good. :)