From the "Sure, We Believe You" Files: 3dfx Tweet Promises Return

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

A long-dead relic of the olden days of computing, having gone bankrupt back in 2002 when dinosaurs roamed the earth and now an unverified "3dfx Interactive" Twitter account promises a return twenty years later. Seeing as how A) nVidia bought up all its assets at bankruptcy and then promptly forgot the brand existed, and B) getting components for video cards still requires major established companies to travel to Mount Doom upon the backs of giant eagles, this is highly likely to be an incredibly-out-of-band April Fool's joke or some kind of publicity play by nVidia.

Any thoughts? I know we've got a number of older members on this site, so I can't be the only one who remembers the joys of the Glide library and the exciting days before unified drivers, where it was entirely possible to install the wrong driver on a card and need to spend hours fixing the problem.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yeah, almost certainly fake. An 'official' twatter account that's not verified is rather sus, as the young'uns would say. Also, it probably wouldn't use fan art from a Deviantart user.

The name sure makes memories bubble to the surface, to those olden days when 3dfx was the unquestionable king of 3d acceleration, cuz back then calling gpu's the so very 90's marketing term '3d accelerator cards' was still in vogue. Playing Quakeworld deathmatch in 640x480 at a blistering 60fps on our Pentiums, albeit with like 250ms latency cuz we were still on dial-up.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The plot thickens
The only mention of "Jansen Products" I can find in a quick web search, that isn't related to all this, is a company in Iowa that handles web hosting and such. (They look like nice people.) And if there is such an investment company, if I were one of their shareholders, there would be one question I'd be asking:

But...why?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The only mention of "Jansen Products" I can find in a quick web search, that isn't related to all this, is a company in Iowa that handles web hosting and such. (They look like nice people.) And if there is such an investment company, if I were one of their shareholders, there would be one question I'd be asking:
Well, hypothetically if they get this utterly mad idea off the ground and make a red hot go of it then that puts a fourth (since Intel is making eyes at the GPU market allegedly) possible competitor into the dance. And there has been much bleating here and around the traps about the benefits of competition. I mean I understand cynicism since this is no small undertaking but so was Snowy Hydro; so was Hoover Dam and name any number of projects. If they have the will and the means, why the hell not.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It was all fake and the twitter account has been deleted.