From Wii to 360 yet I can't do it

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Just buy the damned thing for yourself. My house has a gaming pc, 2 PS3's, a Wii, 4 DS's, a PSP and A RROD 360.

And that's just the consoles in active use. well, bar the RROD360 and the Wii (kids like it but not keen on it myself)

Your parents can say that they don't want any more gaming machines all tehy like but in the end if it's your money you can do as you like with it. "screw the rules i have money" and all that. ultimately it's not a huge detriment as it's not like you can play them both at the same time, it just allows you a much better selection of games.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Or....suck it up and deal with the fact that the people who put a roof over your head don't want to get a 360?

Your dad is enjoying the Wii -- first off, celebrate that fact. You and your dad can relate over games, something a large portion of this community will never get to do. Yes, you would more than likely enjoy a 360, but if your dad doesn't feel comfortable with the controller, who are you to try and force him to change? He deserves to be able to enjoy games the way he wants to enjoy them, not the way you think he should.

It does seem fair that if you can buy it yourself, you should be allowed to have one, but ultimately, that's up to your parents. Gaming isn't a right, it's a privilege. Your parents don't have to let you have any game systems at all. Is it frustrating for you? Absolutely. Welcome to being a teenager. Sometimes it's unfair.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Or....suck it up and deal with the fact that the people who put a roof over your head don't want to get a 360?

Your dad is enjoying the Wii -- first off, celebrate that fact. You and your dad can relate over games, something a large portion of this community will never get to do. Yes, you would more than likely enjoy a 360, but if your dad doesn't feel comfortable with the controller, who are you to try and force him to change? He deserves to be able to enjoy games the way he wants to enjoy them, not the way you think he should.

It does seem fair that if you can buy it yourself, you should be allowed to have one, but ultimately, that's up to your parents. Gaming isn't a right, it's a privilege. Your parents don't have to let you have any game systems at all. Is it frustrating for you? Absolutely. Welcome to being a teenager. Sometimes it's unfair.

Isn't that kinda irrelevant being as he was asking for a solution rather than for someone to insult him?

BigT65

Jul 1, 2009
When I first got my Wii, I thought I would never go to any other console until the next generation. Until Halo 3 came out. I played so much of it at my neighbors house and after a few months of playing it, I just knew I had to get a 360, but I was never thought it would be as much fun as the Wii. After I got the 360 and Halo 3, I played it for a while, but I started hearing so much about all these other games that were coming to the 360 that I thought were exclusive to the PS3 like Assassin's Creed and Devil May Cry 4, and that's when I knew that the 360 was the greatest console I ever bought.

Trust me, getting a 360(make sure it's a new Jasper!) will not be a mistake and it will be a huge step from a Wii.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Aside the appalling notion of selling a system in the first place, I really have to question why you are trying to get rid of what appears to have become a family console.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
ShankHA32 said:
popdafoo said:
At first it seems like a jump, but you'll quickly realize how much you were missing out on. The 360's controls work so much better than the Wii's, and if he thinks World at War is fun on the Wii, wait until he sees it with good graphics. Or, you could save up and get a 360 without selling the Wii.

Trust me, I have both a 360 and a Wii and I never use my Wii. The 360 is the way to go. You'll get used to the controllers, I swear.

DrDeath3191 said:
Buy the thing yourself? Unless your family won't allow that either, in which case just keep the Wii. Metroid Prime Trilogy, man!
I can think of so many better games that aren't on the Wii than can beat the hell out of Metroid. I mean, you're missing out on Gears of War, Prototype, BioShock, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, and so many more games. Really, sacrificing Metroid is worth it.
Forgive me if im starting a flame war, but for me (Metroid Prime 3 in particular) was more enjoyable than all of those games, and i prefer quality over quantity. I am a Wii owner myself, but i am also a smarmy PC gamer so i can play all of the games you mentioned, along with many your likely to mention
that is true, the 360 is irrelevant because most of its games are for computer, you really only need a top end computer, a Wii, and a PS3 for their exclusives because no matter what people say, 360 actually has the LEAST exclusives of any console, with computer having the most

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I personally don't think that the Metroid Prime Trilogy is worth keeping it for. If you have no qualms about being an asshole, sell it and buy your 360.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
If you are getting rid of your Wii simply because of what other people say and not because you simply don't play or enjoy it, then you're not thinking for yourself. If you play it and enjoy it, keep it. If you don't, then look for something else. If you think you'll enjoy playing the Xbox360, then, fine, get an Xbox360. If you think you'll enjoy the PS3, then, fine, get a PS3. But, don't let your buying decision be based on the scream and flame of the shrill internet fanboys or trying to fit in with what everyone else says. Choose your console and your games based on your own personal preferences and situational constraints(money, space, time, etc.). There won't be a perfect choice(there seldom is), but there is the choice you are most willing to live with.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Your parents are pretty unreasonable young one.

Not sure what the answer is.

pantallica95

May 17, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Tell your mom that you aren't getting another game console, your getting a different one. Tell her it's like cars and pick-up trucks, both small consumer vehicles but they do different things.

And if that doesn't work tell her that she doesn't need another pair of shoes or another shirt or whatever thing she wants but definitely doesn't need next time she's looking at one. Assuming she defends her position in a way that acknowledges her possible purchase as a luxury item you should immediately mirror her defense and apply it to you getting a 360.

If not explain to her that they do not do they do the same thing and that getting a 360 while owning a Wii is not superfluous. If she insists that it is superfluous say: "Styrofoam cups and tanker ships both float. Do they do the same thing?"

If your mom won't yield her malformed position consider telling her that she's just being stubborn and that you will buy the 360 yourself and this will have little if any impact on her life.
This always works. Applying logic to it should work, unless they go with the old "because I said so!" or "Im the parent here!" routine. Which I am the same age as the OP, so i know all about that shit.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
I had this problem about a year back.

Me and my bro both had the the money for a 360, but my parents said that we didn't need another one on top of the Wii and the PS3, which was fair enough , but the thing was we didn't want the PS3 (the guy at the Sony Centre gave it us for free when we bought a new tv), so we convinced our dad that the PS3 would be his and we could have the 360.

They weren't convinced, until one day we were passing a store, me and my brother both knew what to do. We gave them a fresh bout of out argument, then they caved, and so we bought it.

So what I'm really trying to say is, make a reasonable deal, and once that's done, try to convince them that it's reasonable, then bargain with them, again and again, and eventually they'll give in to something you suggest.

Connosaurus Rex

Jul 20, 2009
0p3rati0n said:
Connosaurus Rex said:
Get a PS3 slim instead!!!!OMG ITS AWESOME!!!
now that my fanboy urge is satisfied, I'd say either pester your parents enough till they cave or get a job(which is probably really hard now) and pay for it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd-PxedY_QA

here's my rebuttal! I'd rather get a 360 because I know its better than PS3. Wii is better than PS3 money wise and statistics.
Hey i just had to say it, besides PS3 and Xbox 360 to me are pretty much the same so It's up to you

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Why not simply get the PC version of the 360 games? You have a PC, correct? Microsoft likes releasing top game titles on both. Then, if the controller is the issue, get a computer-made game controller for said games. Once again, I'm sure Microsoft has them.

It seems a waste to get rid of a system you want games for. You can't logically say, "I want to get rid of the Wii." and "I want Metroid because it rules." in the same sentence; you're going to either get what you want by keeping it, or you're going to loose out entirely by selling it. This is especially true for your parents, who as far as I've seen like the Wii. You may be too young to understand it now, but when you get home from a hard day of work you want to simply sit down and enjoy the gaming system you have. For the adults of our community, the Wii is a simple offering that isn't complicated, isn't full of drama, and has an easy control scheme to figure. Some of the games are also considerably easy to pick up and you don't have to commit every ounce of your free time stuck playing it.

There's another thing you may as well hear out now: You will regret selling a gaming console. I can promise you that in less than a year you are going to be rolling on the ground screaming, "I WANT TO PLAY THIS ONE GAME AGAIN THAT'S ONLY ON _! WHY DID I SELL _!? HOW STUPID CAN I BE?!"

blood77

Apr 23, 2008
Zac_Dai said:
Your parents are pretty unreasonable young one.

Not sure what the answer is.
Agreed.

I am not sure i know any one anymore that still only has one of the next gen consoles, myself included and does any one else feel that still calling them "next gen console" is starting to get a little ridiculous? When do they become current gen anyway?

Either way the only thing I can say that I have learned about arguing with brick walls is be persistent. You will never get anywhere just trying to tear it down in one day, it is going to take some time, but well worth the reward on the other side.

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
Susan Arendt said:

I see where you're coming from, but that seems to be an incredibly snippy response. To be fair to him, he obviously isn't fully happy with his Wii and would prefer a 360. Plus, I get the impression that it's just his and his dad plays on it sometimes. Yes, he is a teenager, but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't get some sense of independance and ownership over his things.

That said, if it's a family console then I fully agree with what you say, but from the content it just doesn't seem that way.

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
popdafoo said:
Trust me, I have both a 360 and a Wii and I never use my Wii. The 360 is the way to go. You'll get used to the controllers, I swear.
That's the same for me. I have both as well, and I hardly ever play my Wii. I play it for Zelda and Metriod games, that's about it.

popdafoo said:
I can think of so many better games that aren't on the Wii than can beat the hell out of Metroid. I mean, you're missing out on Gears of War, Prototype, BioShock, Dead Space, Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, and so many more games. Really, sacrificing Metroid is worth it.
WHAT?! Metroid games are AMAZING. Yes the games you've named are amazing as well(except BioShock, I didn't think it was that great) but not all of them are better then the Metroid games. Gears of War, probably about the same in my opinion. Prototype isn't. Dead Space, yea I would have to say it is, I loved that game. Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3. Eh, probably not. Yea they're fun and Left 4 Dead can make me die of laughter at times, but they aren't better then Metroid.
I am sorry for my rant, but I just had to say something. The Metroid games are amazing, The Legend of Zelda and Metroid are the only reasons I still play my Wii.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Joshimodo said:
He doesn't like the 360 controller...?

Seriously?
Im not kidding! He likes pointing at a T.V. with a wiimote better than aiming with two sticks! But hey everyones different! :p