Frontier Developments to Adapt a Hollywood Movie for its New Franchise

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Frontier Developments to Adapt a Hollywood Movie for its New Franchise

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1380/1380256.jpgThe studio behind Elite: Dangerous and Planet Coaster has a new game on the way, and it's based on an "enduring movie franchise of global renown."

Frontier Developments has been on a bit of a run of late. The studio's first game, Elite: Dangerous, has been praised by critics and fans alike for its open world space exploration. Its second title, Planet Coaster, has been similarly successful in the theme park simulation genre. Now, Frontier is about to announce a third franchise, and it's based on a Hollywood movie.

According to a press release posted [http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/alliance-news/detail/1486369700323150400.html] on the London Stock Exchange website, the company has licensed the rights to an "enduring movie franchise of global renown" from an unnamed Hollywood studio. The company offered no further details on what the game might be, and said only that more information will be released later this year.

Frontier Developments Chief Executive David Braben is quoted in the release as saying, "The third franchise is an important next step in our growth. We have chosen to license this particular IP to work with as our third franchise, because we believe we can create something very special. It is creatively stimulating, already has a high worldwide profile, and is a perfect match for our expertise."

So, what in the world is Frontier working on now? Is there a major movie franchise that doesn't already have a game that needs one? If you think you know, tell us in the forums!

[gallery=6905]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
New X-Wing game, come on new X-Wing game!

Of course it would kill Elite: Dangerous stone dead if an Elite type game with Star Wars ships came out, but I'm prepared to make that sacrifice.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Im thinking its a Terminator game.

fix-the-spade said:
New X-Wing game, come on new X-Wing game!

Of course it would kill Elite: Dangerous stone dead if an Elite type game with Star Wars ships came out, but I'm prepared to make that sacrifice.
Come now, you know EA has exclusive rights to Star Wars.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Planet Coaster - didn't know that was a thing. I've mostly ignored the Tycoon sims but with certain park recreations being made in this one, it's going on my buy list for sure. Gotta check it out - it might just be my Little Big Planet.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Gee, that can be anything.

Even a Fast and Furious VR sim.

You heard it here first lads!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
gigastar said:
Very true, but EA works with external developers to create games, not just it's own subsidiaries.

I ca nsee them making a Star Wars space sim, the market for it is there but EA themselves don't really have any devs capable of making one. Frontier have the know how and an existing game and software package to make it happen relatively cheaply.

Besides, Alien, Terminator and James Bond I can't think of too many enduring movie franchises besides Star Wars (Star Trek maybe? That could certainly work).

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
fix-the-spade said:
gigastar said:
Very true, but EA works with external developers to create games, not just it's own subsidiaries.

I ca nsee them making a Star Wars space sim, the market for it is there but EA themselves don't really have any devs capable of making one. Frontier have the know how and an existing game and software package to make it happen relatively cheaply.

Besides, Alien, Terminator and James Bond I can't think of too many enduring movie franchises besides Star Wars (Star Trek maybe? That could certainly work).
Yea, but it sounds like they licensed it, so Frontier will be heading the project, not EA contracting/partnering with them. Which sucks because I really wanted a new x-wing game.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
gigastar said:

Theese things are certainly true, but EA has trouble seeing potential outside of First and Third Person Shooters theese days.

fix-the-spade said:
Last i checked it was SEGA that had the Alien game rights (see: Alien: Isolation) though of course doesnt mean Frontier cant be working for SEGA.

Last known holder of the James Bond rights was Activision. Though the license may have lapsed back to the studio or SPE since thier last release in 2012.

Star Trek is the one i should have thought of sooner. The rights doesnt seem exclusive to anyone in particular, and if a hack mobile dev can get a license to make a farmville clone then Frontier can get a license to make a full blown space sim.

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
Jaximus Decimus said:
Sorry for the spoilers, but it's Battlestar. Should be pretty good.
God I wish that'd happen. The Community made Diaspora game is pretty good, but to see Frontier develop a Battlestar game? I'd probably never stop playing it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jaximus Decimus said:
Sorry for the spoilers, but it's Battlestar. Should be pretty good.
But that's not a movie franchise though. Not that I don't want it to be true, oh my God do I want it to be true. A Viper semi-arcade space combat game? ala Elite: Dangerous? Hopefully with a heavy percussion soundtrack? Please my erection can get only get this big.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
In their pre-self-publishing past, Frontier made a game called: "The Outsider" (visually it was Watchdogs, before there was a Watchdogs :p), which EA were interested in "reskinning" as a Jason Bourne title, before it was ultimately cancelled.

Not entirely inconceivable they could retrieve it from the skiff out back, and apply some spit and shine... :p