FTC Finds High Levels of Compliance With Videogame Age Ratings

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
FTC Finds High Levels of Compliance With Videogame Age Ratings

A new report by the FTC [http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2009/12/violentent.shtm] says videogames continue to enjoy a higher level of age rating compliance than music or movies, but notes that "emerging technologies" like mobile gaming are going to present new challenges that the industry must address in order to protect children from inappropriate content.

Echoing the findings of previous FTC surveys [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/83713-Videogame-Age-Ratings-Are-Working-FTC-Study-Finds], the new report says videogame retailers topped their movie and music counterparts when it came to enforcing age ratings, with an overall "denial rate" of 80 percent. Movie theaters managed a respectable second place with a denial rate of 72 percent, while music retailers pulled up in a very distant third, with a brutal 30 percent denial rate. The report also found that the videogame industry shows a "high degree of compliance" with its marketing and advertising rules, although it criticized those rules for allowing game companies to advertise on websites and television shows aimed primarily at children.

"The game industry's 45 percent youth audience standard for print and internet advertising obviously allowed marketers to advertise in magazines and on websites with large youth audiences, but it compares favorably to the other industries, which haven't adopted such standards," FTC Chairman Jon Leibowitz said in a statement.

In fact, while Leibowitz warned that "it will be particularly important to address the challenges presented by emerging technologies... that are quickly changing the ways that children access entertainment," most of the FTC's criticism is aimed primarily at the movie and music industries. The music industry in particular comes under fire for its half-hearted use of Parental Advisory labels and low rates of compliance with age ratings at retail, while the movie industry takes heat for the growing popularity of "unrated" DVD releases, often hyped by studios, which do not adequately warn parents that they may contain additional violent or adult content.

The report calls for a more prominent display of rating labels on videogames and says the industry will need to adapt to address issues created by online mobile gaming and gift cards that allow children to bypass retail-level age restrictions. Overall, however, it strikes a very positive note on the videogame industry's efforts to ensure that children aren't exposed to inappropriate material. "Mobile entertainment may be less familiar to parents - and more difficult for them to supervise - but industry self-regulatory programs must keep up with these business models if they are to work," Leibowitz said. "With the urging of the Commission, I am confident they will."

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
In other news, Australia, upon hearing this news, has taken measures to ban all music that was not produced and sung by sesame street characters or other children's toy manufacturers.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
It is kind of interesting, isn't it? Ratings systems do work when they're given the chance.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The report calls for a more prominent display of rating labels on videogames
Well, they're only on the front and back of the of the box in open view... I don't see how you can be any more "prominent" than that, unless you just want the developers to replace the box art entirely with nothing but a gigantic warning label, or make some ridiculous size requirement.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
scotth266 said:
Andy Chalk said:
Well, they're only on the front and back of the of the box in open view... I don't see how you can be any more "prominent" than that, unless you just want the developers to replace the box art entirely with nothing but a gigantic warning label, or make some ridiculous size requirement.
Maybe they want one akin to cigarette labels, taking up 40% of the packaging and sometimes with those ugly pictures.

THIS IS WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE IF YOU IGNORE OUR WARNINGS.

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
Amnestic said:
scotth266 said:
Andy Chalk said:
Maybe they want one akin to cigarette labels, taking up 40% of the packaging and sometimes with those ugly pictures.

Eh, nice cape. Waste of perfectly good controllers though.

I think it's nice to hear a regulatory board saying that our industry is doing something right.

I agree with them about the 'unrated' movie releases. There is no way that they should be allowed to just slap a tag like that on movies. It's very misleading.
I mean here I am looking to watch the movie I saw in theaters and out of left field, boobs.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Of course people who make video games are making sure they are marketed and rated correctly, they catch more shit than any Hollywood-douche ever would if they don't.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Amnestic said:

But yeah, in all seriousness, when I read that statement about "prominent labeling", do you want to know what I thought of? A Wal-Mart video game section, but instead of having normal case art, they were all sporting gigantic ESRB rating labels.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
It is kind of interesting, isn't it? Ratings systems do work when they're given the chance.
Yes but unfortunately some people don't believe, such as Atkinson or however his name is spelled. He continues to be a blockade for an industry that does it's best to comply with regulations. Figure that out eh.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
scotth266 said:
The report calls for the content descriptors to be moved to the front of the box with the primary rating, and then more detailed information on the back. I'm not sure how practical it is, or how relevant it will be as digital distribution becomes increasingly prevalent. I'm also inclined to think that at 80% compliance, we're rapidly approaching the point at which the problem isn't a lack of information but indifference toward it or unwillingness to use it. And that's not something you can correct for.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Atkinson is the Australian equivelant of an American Republican, in that he is a strong christian with a sound moral code. And like most republicans he will eventually be discovered to having illicit affairs with several women and or men (Google republican sex scandels if you don't believe me).

It's not the ratings system thats the problem. Those in power believe we the general public are incapable of raising our own children correctly.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The report calls for the content descriptors to be moved to the front of the box with the primary rating, and then more detailed information on the back.
I can understand the former part of that, seeing as some stores like Wal-Mart don't let you look at the backs of games unless you're in the middle of purchasing them. The latter part, on the other hand, is just weird. The level of detail on the back of the box is quite descriptive, if you've ever checked it out: almost to the point of embellishment.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
What we need is digital age of majority cards. Turn 18 go to a government type office apply and they send you a card with a bunch of numbers. It would work alot better than the "Are you over 18?" box. Or enter a fake birthday to get in.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
The game industry takes all the heat when something goes wrong, but it's the greatest enforcer of the ratings system.

Aztek463

May 4, 2008
If they were to display ratings more prominently on the fronts of cases, odds are it would look something like this:

)this cover is from Australia, coincidentally enough)

I think that I've been carded every single time I've bought an M rated game, though the places I've bought from are pretty lenient in forms of ID (technically, a learner's permit for driving is not a valid form, but they take it). It can be annoying sometimes, but at least they're doing their job.

I was unaware there was even age restrictions on music CDs. Always thought the warning label was just that: "Hey parents, there's cursing on this CD!" rather than an actual restriction.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
And when people actually stop looking at the negative side of things. Its reports like this which are nice to see other than the bias arguement of "It dosnt work"