FTL: Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition Out Now - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
FTL: Faster Than Light - Advanced Edition Out Now - Update

[vimeo=79104930]
The Advanced Edition adds new ships, enemies, events, and weapons, and is available as a free update for owners of the game.

Update: It looks like the Steam version of the update is now live - all you need to do is log into Steam and it should automatically update.

Original Story: Today is a good news day for $10 on the iPad store [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133456-Hearthstone-is-Now-on-iPad]. The iPad version of the game will require an iPad version 2 or higher. "We are proud to say that the iPad version is a true equivalent to the PC in the experience it provides, which is why we are price matching to the PC version," said Subset Games in an official statement.

The Advanced Edition was announced back in November last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129534-FTL-Dev-Announces-Advanced-Edition-iPad-Version] and promised to bring the original game, along with a rather hefty update, to iPads sometime in 2014. The iPad version is, unfortunately, unable to connect to PC versions of the game to share the same save game or profile data

[gallery=2299]

FTL: Faster Than Light started its life as a including clone bays and hacking [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light]. Some other minor tweaks that Subset announced were some visual upgrades to quests, as well as the addition of a "Hard" difficulty level.

As of now, it looks like the Advanced Edition update hasn't quite hit the Steam version of the game yet, although it should come soon. All DRM free editions (from the Subset Games website or GOG.com) will require downloading the game again through the same method as originally downloaded.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Sweetness! More FTL is always welcome. The game is awesome, even though it takes my ass and beats me with it even on the easiest difficulty most of the time.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
It says something about a game when both the casual parent and the gamer kids are both excited for the same release.

I expect many more hours of mayhem, explosions and asphyxiation to come.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
I assume, the Steam-Version hasn't been updated yet because it's not the usual update-time yet. Might change in about 7 hours 30.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Bindal said:
I assume, the Steam-Version hasn't been updated yet because it's not the usual update-time yet. Might change in about 7 hours 30.
That means it'll be ready when I get in from work tonight. Perfect!

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
unstabLized said:
Sweetness! More FTL is always welcome. The game is awesome, even though it takes my ass and beats me with it even on the easiest difficulty most of the time.
I cheat a lot in single-player games. For FTL, I played on easy and gave myself infinite funds. The game *still* beat me most of the time, but was a much more "casual" enjoyable experience.

The thing that I hated most about FTL is that it downright lies to you - on get-go, you've told to hurry the heck up, and then in the end you're given an enemy you have no chance of beating unless you take your time to gather upgrades to your ship.

edit: they've changed the text so it doesn't lie anymore =)

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
Come on steam version, I am itching to get blown to bits in outer space again, but this time with more stuff to keep track off.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
So now it has new things to frustrate the ever loving crap out of me? Neat-o. I don't think I've ever enjoyed playing a game that makes me want to punch my monitor so much. Curse you, FTL!!!!!!!

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
does anyone know if old save files can be used, or do you have to start from scratch?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
FTL update is now live, you are clear to die, say again, you are clear to die..... have a nice day.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
How do you update the game? I don't have the Steam version, but the Stand-Alone file! How do I do it?

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
O maestre said:
does anyone know if old save files can be used, or do you have to start from scratch?
dont know if its too late and you have already figured it out but on the gog version you had to uninstall and then load up new game. there was an option when uninstalling to keep save game and it was all there when loaded up new version.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I have a question: does this game have any kind of story at all? I played a game similar to this on ios called "Out There" and the story was incredible especially the ending.