FTL's Kestrel Gets Fantastic 3D Print

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
FTL's Kestrel Gets Fantastic 3D Print

Imgur-user TheLobsterClaw has posted a gallery of a custom 3D-printed model of FTL's iconic Kestrel ship.

While FTL: Faster Than Light featured a whole roster of diverse ships for players to unlock and experiment with, the most iconic of the whole bunch is probably the game's starting ship the Kestrel. Plain, humdrum and sorely ill-equipped for the journey ahead; it's simple design has become an arguable emblem for the game as a whole.

It's no surprise then that some have been exploring ways to bring the ship into the real world. Back in 2013, for instance, a LEGO CUUSOO campaign took a shot at fashioning <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126624-FTL-LEGO-Sets-Heading-for-Official-Review>an entire line of LEGO FTL ships. More recently however, an enterprising Imgur user turned to the seemingly endless wonders of 3D printing to create his own tangible Kestrel.

TheLobsterClaw (probably not their real name), recently posted <a href=http://imgur.com/a/6mddo>a gallery of a custom 3D Kestrel they modeled with 3D animation software Maya. The model itself was then printed at Shapeways where it's actually <a href=http://www.shapeways.com/model/1727233/spaceship.html?li=search-results&materialId=6>still available for any FTL fans who might like one of their own.

As the game only displays the Kestrel from certain angles, LobsterClaw admits that he and his teammates had to take some liberties in "experimenting with different looks" for its underside. Their final result was designed to avoid looking "sleek" whole still "maintaining a formidable silhouette."

[gallery=2385]

Just personally, I'd say LobsterClaw and company were very successful with their take on the craft. I'm a big fan of FTL and my immediate response to their print was the "gimme gimme" that I tend to reserve for things my inner-child finds to truly awesome. What do you think? Is your reaction the same or is there another ship you'd rather have lining your toy shelf?

Source: <a href=http://imgur.com/a/6mddo>Imgur

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
StewShearer said:
As the game only displays the Kestral from certain angles, LobsterClaw admits that he and his teammates had to take some liberties in "experimenting with different looks" for its underside. Their final result was designed to avoid looking "sleek" whole still "maintaining a formidable silhouette."
And by liberties they mean "We made it look like the Serenity." It makes perfect sense, since FTL (as well as The Kestrel specifically) took a ton of design cues from Firefly in the first place.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
looks pretty damn nice, i think the kestral is my favorite ship in FTL, it has no real downsides and the layout A and B have some pretty decent armament

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Wait, that looks like...

TiberiusEsuriens said:
StewShearer said:
As the game only displays the Kestral from certain angles, LobsterClaw admits that he and his teammates had to take some liberties in "experimenting with different looks" for its underside. Their final result was designed to avoid looking "sleek" whole still "maintaining a formidable silhouette."
And by liberties they mean "We made it look like the Serenity." It makes perfect sense, since FTL (as well as The Kestrel specifically) took a ton of design cues from Firefly in the first place.
...And ninja'd.

Still, it's hard to deny that the firefly appearance is a good one. However, somehow I imagined the engines to be on the same height as the rest of the ship, rather than underslung...

Anyway, get me the stealth ship and we can talk.

toms

Oct 23, 2008
"Kestrel"

It's called "Kestrel" not "Kestral", both in the picture and in the game.
Kestrel is a kind of falcon.

Meander112

Spiritual Scientific Skeptic
Jan 26, 2010
toms said:
Thanks for that.

Also, I love this idea. I managed to get the Crystal race, so I'd love to see a print of that ship. It would take a lot more extrapolation, though.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
toms said:
"Kestrel"

Well that's more than a bit embarrassing. Really wish that was the dumbest thing I'd done today. :/

Thanks for catching it, should be all fixed now.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
My favorite is type C? The one with 4 basic lasers? You can dominate the first couple of sectors while acquiring scrap for weapons/systems/upgrades for later.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
TiberiusEsuriens said:
StewShearer said:
There is a line between taking design cues and wholesale warping to suit your tastes, I think I prefer the CUSCOO version to this re-imagining.

Still pretty neat though.

The_Darkness said:
Still, it's hard to deny that the firefly appearance is a good one. However, somehow I imagined the engines to be on the same height as the rest of the ship, rather than underslung...

Anyway, get me the stealth ship and we can talk.
If the Steam FTL trading backgrounds are cannon then yes the engine pods are partly under-slung.