Fuck. You. Bioware.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
So I recently bought the entire Mass Effect trilogy and all the DLC for my beast gaming computer. Also downloaded some texture mods to make the games look fantastic. I never actually played the whole trilogy before (only 1&2, and ME3 released while I was in the military), so this was to be my magnum opus, my "real" Shepard.

And then I come across this fucking Samara glitch I'd never heard of and now I'm doubting if it's even worth it to keep playing.

Basically, if you don't recruit Samara before doing the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC, she becomes locked out, with no way to recruit her. Which I did. And apparently this hasn't been fixed. Like ever. While searching for answers, I saw someone comment "I'm at the end of the game and I can't finish without Samara". Now I dread what that means. That, in essence, the game becomes uncompletable? That there's some vital part that asks specifically for Samara?

I'm not that mad about losing Samara, I never found her that interesting as a character, but
holy fucking shit is this some fucking cuntfuckery from Bioware. How in the fuck has this flow under our radars? That a company with the pedigree of Bioware fucks up this badly, and just leaves it unfixed. Fuck. This. Shit. How in God's name am I supposed to trust a company that allows this to happen, especially in a game that's perhaps to this day their most regarded and awarded work?
Do you guys know if I need to start over? I'm 18 hours in, and the only save I have prior to doing the Shadow Broker is 3 hours in. Do I need to redo 15 hours of gameplay because some twat at Bioware fucked up and hasn't owned up to their mistake? If so, I'll have a very sternly worded email going their way soon...

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
You don't need to start over. What you'll miss out on is Samara's recruitment and loyalty quests and there's a section in the late game where Samara is nice to have, but not essential as other characters can fill that slot. There's also a few extra War Assets and lines of dialogue in ME3 that you'll miss out on if you don't recruit her.

So no, just keep playing. Be extra nice to Jack instead, just sayin'.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Bioware has never been a good developers. i think we should except and it move on.

Mass effect is cover based TPS and gears of war with dialouge system.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Hate to say it, but yeah, probably. Samra is a great character, a potential love interest(especially in ME3), a great biotic character, and really has some great quests in ME3.
Besides, the ME3 Citadel party is just so much fun when you have the entire cast there, rather than missing a few.

But then again I loved the ME trilogy, and replayed it over and over to get the different couples, abilities, and whatnot. Still wish there was a patch to save Kaidan and Ashley, as the more I play, the more I realize how BS that mission was.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
bartholen said:
So I recently bought the entire Mass Effect trilogy and all the DLC for my beast gaming computer. Also downloaded some texture mods to make the games look fantastic. I never actually played the whole trilogy before (only 1&2, and ME3 released while I was in the military), so this was to be my magnum opus, my "real" Shepard.

And then I come across this fucking Samara glitch I'd never heard of and now I'm doubting if it's even worth it to keep playing.

Basically, if you don't recruit Samara before doing the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC, she becomes locked out, with no way to recruit her. Which I did. And apparently this hasn't been fixed. Like ever. While searching for answers, I saw someone comment "I'm at the end of the game and I can't finish without Samara". Now I dread what that means. That, in essence, the game becomes uncompletable? That there's some vital part that asks specifically for Samara?

I'm not that mad about losing Samara, I never found her that interesting as a character, but
holy fucking shit is this some fucking cuntfuckery from Bioware. How in the fuck has this flow under our radars? That a company with the pedigree of Bioware fucks up this badly, and just leaves it unfixed. Fuck. This. Shit. How in God's name am I supposed to trust a company that allows this to happen, especially in a game that's perhaps to this day their most regarded and awarded work?
Do you guys know if I need to start over? I'm 18 hours in, and the only save I have prior to doing the Shadow Broker is 3 hours in. Do I need to redo 15 hours of gameplay because some twat at Bioware fucked up and hasn't owned up to their mistake? If so, I'll have a very sternly worded email going their way soon...
You can add her by using the Save Editor. You'll miss her recruitment mission, but you'll have her on your team.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
This is why I'm glad that mods exist on PC. ME1 still has a glitch on some graphic cards that makes the models to become black pixelated shadows in two big parts of the game. It was infuriating.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
CaitSeith said:
bartholen said:

You can add her by using the Save Editor. You'll miss her recruitment mission, but you'll have her on your team.
I'm going to second this. The Mass Effect 2 save editor is very well put together. The major one floating around and the one I used is called Gibbed's Mass Effect 2 Save Editor.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I never ran in to any such problems, but save editor seems like your best option, even though it's a pity that you will miss her quests. It's not the same as playing it yourself, but you could watch a walkthrough of it, beats replaying the whole game at least.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
After Dragon Age: Origins, I think that was the point where the Bioware we all knew and loved just died. Thank EA for that. Again.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
bartholen said:
In future create a new save at the end of every major quest, in case Bioware takes issue with you having fun.

It also makes playing through alternate choice lines so much easier.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Marik2 said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
bartholen said:
That a company with the pedigree of Bioware...
This site was constantly sucking off bioware in the early days.
Before Dragon Age II.
Arnoxthe1 said:
After Dragon Age: Origins, I think that was the point where the Bioware we all knew and loved just died. Thank EA for that. Again.
Pretty much. I'm still sore over what they did to Dragon Age.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Silentpony said:
Hate to say it, but yeah, probably. Samra is a great character, a potential love interest(especially in ME3), a great biotic character, and really has some great quests in ME3.
Besides, the ME3 Citadel party is just so much fun when you have the entire cast there, rather than missing a few.

But then again I loved the ME trilogy, and replayed it over and over to get the different couples, abilities, and whatnot. Still wish there was a patch to save Kaidan and Ashley, as the more I play, the more I realize how BS that mission was.
Wait, how the fuck is she a love interest in me3? Her whole thing is that if she fucks you, you die... or she gives birth to someone who will kill whoever they fuck... or something, its been awhile since I played ME.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Worgen said:
Silentpony said:

Wait, how the fuck is she a love interest in me3? Her whole thing is that if she fucks you, you die... or she gives birth to someone who will kill whoever they fuck... or something, its been awhile since I played ME.
If you try for a relationship in ME2, and try again in the Citadel DLC she has a "moment of weakness" with you

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Worgen said:
No, that's Morinth.
She's Samara daughter who has that rare genetic disease (Ardat-Yakshi) that kills everyone she mates with. You help Samara catch her during her loyalty mission (or you can betray Samara and help Morinth). Although all three of Samara's daughters were Ardat-Yakshi, it's not certain that the next one would be too.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Wasn't there supposed to be fan mods that wanted to fix the narrative of mass effect or something?