Full body scans and pat downs: Do they cross the line?

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I think it is to far to be honest. I know terrorism is a threat but driving a car is a threat and you are more likely to die in a car crash then on a plane that blows up. I think some security measures are necessary but then there is just overkill.

We have the Full body scanners in the UK now. They are phasing them in along the metal scanners. The guards choose people from the line at random. Its great isn't it all our civil liberties are being washed away under the notion of 'safety', I think I prefer the much more dangerous world where at least my privacy wasn't invaded. I don't get the if you have nothing to hide argument either. The point is I have not done anything so why should I be treated like a criminal, what ever happened to innocent untill proven guilty?

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
The key to successful terrorism is not to kill - but to force your victims to live in constant fear (or terror, if you will) and change their way of life as a result of it.

Given that neither backscatter machines nor pat down would find...for example... women with implanted explosives, or someone with half a pound of C4 up their bum (or a squad of 5 or 6 people all under the liquid limit who combine together to make a device), they really are all about theatre and the illusion of safety (and in the case of the machines, someone making buck).

Throw away the machines, stop the pat downs, bring in the sniffer dogs. Guns/ammo will be found by metal detectors and no one cares about knives any more as the pilots cabins are always locked (the TSA would have confiscated the boxcutters on 9/11 but let the terrorists aboard anyway).

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm curious as to the number of people who are all up in arms against the searchers/scans have actually been through the process.
As a person who travels back and forth from Europe to the US several times a year, and has actually gone through a body scan, wanded, and I've undergone a full patdown, I'm just baffled as to how people are so insanely offended by it.
The scan was like 7 seconds at the most. I've never been "cupped" or "groped", they ask you to spread your legs and they quickly give a small palm strike across the inside of the leg and around, across the arms, etc. I've never had them use any type of hand action that included any use of their hand in a closed fashion. And every other guy doing the pat down either looks miserable that this is his job or looks completely indifferent.

As with everything, there is always going to be people who take offense to something and blow it out of proportion. Honestly, if millions of people go through these security measures every day you'd think there would be a huge public outcry by a significant portion of these fliers if there was truly devious with the procedure. Honestly if something this small is impacting your decision to travel then that is something you have to deal with. Because, honestly, what is more likely, that every security guard out there is a complete pervert that wants to cop a feel of the same sex and gets off on watching ugly blobs on the full body scan or that you're the one that is blowing it out of proportion?

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Svoboda4zizn said:
thethingthatlurks said:
To the best of my knowledge, the pre-flight security measures have never foiled a terrorist attempt. It was either due to intelligence agencies arresting the suspect well in advance, or by some passengers with balls the size of elephants disabling any would-be terrorists on the flight. So to put it bluntly, all of this security stuff has been a total waste of money. The chances of dying in a car crash are several orders of magnitude higher than perishing in any way involving airplanes. Even in the pre and post 9/11 world, how many terrorist attacks were attempted or carried out with planes compared to other methods? Statistically speaking, it's a non-threat. But I get it, people are idiots. Stupid, scared imbeciles, who sacrifice their dignity and time for an illusion of safety. Feel free to disagree, o morons who don't know what you are talking about...
To be honest, I'd rather trust the FBI to arrest somebody before they could make trouble than trust the TSA to do the same at the airport. Cuz ya know, at least they be competent...

EDIT:
Just to be clear, I really don't mind metal detectors, just the unnecessary other stuff like full body scanners, random pat-downs (which I once had to endure for, I kid you not, wearing a baggy hoodie), and removal of shoes.
thethingthatlurks you are absolutely right pre-flight security has never caught a terrorist in the past 10 or so years. Terrorist who make it to the airport have no trouble getting on a plane, screening is a nice show for the cameras nothing more!

in the hopes 1 person will read these
CDC report [http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hhe/reports/pdfs/2003-0206-3067.pdf]
UCSF news article [http://news.ucsf.edu/news-briefs/details/ucsf-scientists-speak-out-against-airport-full-body-scans/]
UCSF letter [http://www.npr.org/assets/news/2010/05/17/concern.pdf]
or here if npr bugs out on you
UCSF letter Google doc [http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:RpteglBatgcJ:www.npr.org/assets/news/2010/05/17/concern.pdf+ucsf+letter+of+concern&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESi67LRsaEOQep8bd1s-23ZwuN9-J9DC-TfW0bhWurDD_NJHKdhywjLiU0gObaxcIxMgOE9dqVDK7uifQ3AJh5SN97T0qKlt9ZMJlX1W8PFYjti-bRXfcldJZ_qXOvM5lmK2LfCd&sig=AHIEtbTJQVimysgOLWVfR2bumlLHqivE3g]
Only the CDC report works, but thanks for sharing! I knew this stuff was useless, but I had no idea it was actually dangerous to the people operating it.
Anyway, I think I can make my position a bit clearer: You see, I have an amazing belt. I wear it every day, because it protects me from tiger attacks. No, I am serious. Since I have started wearing it, not a single tiger has attacked me. Some may say this belt is uncomfortable, or ugly, but I say we must force everybody to wear it! What's worse, sacrificing your dignity, or getting attacked by tigers? Obviously the benefits outweigh the risks, so you had better start wearing this marvelous thing!
[sup][sup]Disclaimer: only valid under certain conditions. Sowing raw steaks to your clothes, smothering yourself in BBQ sauce and running through the tiger cage at your local zoo is still a really fucking stupid idea.[/sup][/sup]

ClassicJokester

I Love You.
Apr 16, 2010
The only time I've ever been searched thoroughly was right before Halloween this year. I flew from Los Angeles up to San Francisco, and was bringing my 360 in a backpack. I figured that having a backpack full of electronics and plastic might raise a couple red flags at the TSA checkpoint, so I wasn't too worried. They just took me aside, talked to me to make sure I was cool, scanned my bag for (I assume) explosives residue or whatever, and gave me a pat-down and metal detector wand waving.

It wasn't by any means invasive, and they were nice enough about it, so it wasn't an issue at all.

However, I will say that they are terrible liars. I know why you're searching me, you know why you're searching me, so don't give me some BS about being "randomly" selected. Especially when I can hear your colleague whisper to you about there being "something in the bag that's giving off a charge, like a laptop." Come on.

Also, the amount that they've stepped up security in US airports is ridiculous. There's no reason that terrorists (or anyone wanting to kill people) need to blow up planes. Like someone said earlier, it would be incredibly easier to buy a cheap ticket, get your bomb or whatever, and just go to town on the terminal of the airport (If anyone from the FBI reads this, I have no recollection of saying anything on the subject).

EDIT:
It seems that some people don't really get what pat-downs are. The workers use the backs [BACKS] of their hands to check you. Turn your hands over, and lightly slide them across your desk. It's like that. And it takes about 45 seconds to a minute when done properly.

McNinja said:
. . . I don't give a DAMN how you justify that, some is still touching you without your consent
Actually, not true. They must have your consent to search you. If you don't consent, they just won't let you fly. It's not like you have the right to fly on their planes.

TheJim

Feb 24, 2009
I don't really care about people touching me or seeing me naked so meh, if it's necessary, leave it be.

Jim

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
capin Rob said:
Honestly I have a problem with those scanners more thn the pat downs, I don't want to be lightly irradiated.

As for the pat downs. Oh well You all have the Image of some hariy Fat dude rubbing a woman up and down. thats not what happens. It's done by a member of the same sex, And the pat down will be less that 30 seconds. But I guess getting blown out of the sky is okay.

But i suppose it is a slight Breach of rights. And cme on. It's not like you're going to get raped, Nut up, and stop being a weakling. It a god Dammed pat down, like Cops do, I don't see you all getting up in arms about those.
First, edit your posts. or at least proofread a little.

Second, not only have most normal people not had a pat down (because most of us aren't criminals or suspected of being such), but it's an invasion of privacy I don't give a DAMN how you justify that, some is still touching you without your consent, and most normal people don't like that. I don't care if it's 1 second, it's too damn long. And for people who really don't like being touched by anyone(like my mom, who will freak out if anyone tries to touch her), it's their worst nightmare.

To quote Benjamin Franklin:

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

I honestly cannot believe how many people are like "yeah it's cool, I don't mind people looking through my clothes, possibly getting irradiated, and also possibly being touched and groped my some TSA person I don't know." I mean, seriously? They have metal detectors for a reason. How about instead of insane measures like pat-downs and full body scans, they have... metal detectors and bomb sniffing dogs?

Oh wait. They did.

And how about like, Air Marshals? You know, people who are basically the police on planes? Where in the hell did they go? You know what? they could put cameras in the seating areas of planes and it would work just fine.

People over-react to things, and then the measures they put in place are just way too much. It's like congress attempting to fix the financial mess that the US is in. Short-term stuff isn't the way to go. You need long term solutions. None of this "ooh get better now, who cares if it jacks this country up beyond repair." The same goes for the TSA and Airport security. What if the terrorists had taken hostages and blown up a train? Would the train security be as tight and over the top as Airport security? Also, what happens years down the line if ther's no terrorist attacks anymore? Will they just take out those measures? Or will congress say "there might be more! You never know when they might strike!" And if one does finally strike, what happens then? MORE insane security? Are we just gonna have to go through the airport naked and have our ass (and other places, if you're a female) probed for bombs and chemicals? Where does it end?

Faulty Turmoil

Nov 25, 2009
I don't like it but I can understand it.

Also I like the contrast between the Americans and the British.

The Americans are getting paranoid, which is understandable, and us Brits just joke about it.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
McNinja said:
capin Rob said:
Honestly I have a problem with those scanners more thn the pat downs, I don't want to be lightly irradiated.

As for the pat downs. Oh well You all have the Image of some hariy Fat dude rubbing a woman up and down. thats not what happens. It's done by a member of the same sex, And the pat down will be less that 30 seconds. But I guess getting blown out of the sky is okay.

But i suppose it is a slight Breach of rights. And cme on. It's not like you're going to get raped, Nut up, and stop being a weakling. It a god Dammed pat down, like Cops do, I don't see you all getting up in arms about those.
First, edit your posts. or at least proofread a little.

Second, not only have most normal people not had a pat down (because most of us aren't criminals or suspected of being such), but it's an invasion of privacy I don't give a DAMN how you justify that, some is still touching you without your consent, and most normal people don't like that. I don't care if it's 1 second, it's too damn long. And for people who really don't like being touched by anyone(like my mom, who will freak out if anyone tries to touch her), it's their worst nightmare.

To quote Benjamin Franklin:

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

I honestly cannot believe how many people are like "yeah it's cool, I don't mind people looking through my clothes, possibly getting irradiated, and also possibly being touched and groped my some TSA person I don't know." I mean, seriously? They have metal detectors for a reason. How about instead of insane measures like pat-downs and full body scans, they have... metal detectors and bomb sniffing dogs?

Oh wait. They did.

And how about like, Air Marshals? You know, people who are basically the police on planes? Where in the hell did they go? You know what? they could put cameras in the seating areas of planes and it would work just fine.

People over-react to things, and then the measures they put in place are just way too much. It's like congress attempting to fix the financial mess that the US is in. Short-term stuff isn't the way to go. You need long term solutions. None of this "ooh get better now, who cares if it jacks this country up beyond repair." The same goes for the TSA and Airport security. What if the terrorists had taken hostages and blown up a train? Would the train security be as tight and over the top as Airport security? Also, what happens years down the line if ther's no terrorist attacks anymore? Will they just take out those measures? Or will congress say "there might be more! You never know when they might strike!" And if one does finally strike, what happens then? MORE insane security? Are we just gonna have to go through the airport naked and have our ass (and other places, if you're a female) probed for bombs and chemicals? Where does it end?
How about putting passenger into a coma, and then placing them in a Faraday cage for the duration of the flight. Nobody can move, nobody can act, nobody can contact them, nobody can do anything. There, now we're all safe. Ah...safety, isn't it a nice thought?

I'm glad you mentioned them. Really, what the hell happened to Air Marshals? I'm pretty sure one or two armed, and professionally trained undercover cops per flight would constitute more security than all of the groping and full body scanners in the world combined. But then again, that would make sense, and we all know how much regard for common sense the TSA has...

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
Jamieson 90 said:
I think it is to far to be honest. I know terrorism is a threat but driving a car is a threat and you are more likely to die in a car crash then on a plane that blows up.
Actually, if you're on a plane that blows up I think it's pretty certain that you're not going to make it.

And yes, I know that your point is that flying is safer than driving. Just saying :p

On topic, it turns out those pictures that are supposed to be deleted right away aren't deleted right away. One Hundred Naked Citizens: One Hundred Leaked Body Scans [http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/11/giz-scans/]

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
DiMono said:
Jamieson 90 said:
I think it is to far to be honest. I know terrorism is a threat but driving a car is a threat and you are more likely to die in a car crash then on a plane that blows up.
Actually, if you're on a plane that blows up I think it's pretty certain that you're not going to make it.

And yes, I know that your point is that flying is safer than driving. Just saying :p

On topic, it turns out those pictures that are supposed to be deleted right away aren't deleted right away. One Hundred Naked Citizens: One Hundred Leaked Body Scans [http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/11/giz-scans/]
This is why I don't want the goverment or any other agency to have lots of information on me or members of my family. I mean the goverments record on keeping private information private is absolutely disgusting.

The annoying thing is that alot of so called private information is kept on databases, just look at HMRC they can't even get peoples tax codes right and we are supposed to trust them with more sensistive information.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
WrongSprite said:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3097/breaking.jpg
Now that I've got that out of the way, I don't think it's going to far. If it gets results, keep it in place.
Same goes for cameras in private homes, right?

Maybe some chips in people's bodies so we know who commits crimes - at all times.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I haven't ever been through airport security or in an airport at all so I'm not entirely sure what it's like to be molested for security reasons. But I don't see the problem myself, if you've got nothing you're not allowed, what is there to be worried about?

Then again, having a big guy sticking his hand where the sun don't shine doesn't exactly encourage me to see what it's like on a plane.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
tanis1lionheart said:
WrongSprite said:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3097/breaking.jpg
Now that I've got that out of the way, I don't think it's going to far. If it gets results, keep it in place.
Same goes for cameras in private homes, right?

Maybe some chips in people's bodies so we know who commits crimes - at all times.
How are those in any way the same thing? This is people complaining because an outline of their genitals will be shown. *shock horror*

The things you brought up are utterly different, and intrude on personal lives, regardless of what we want to do.

If you don't want to use the scanners, you can simply not fly, whereas cameras and chips would be there where you like it or not.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:
gamerguy473 said:
daniel9ds said:
I am a newbie here and just wanna say Hi to everyone. I am Daniel from Pennsylvania, US.

OT: I think its fine since I heard they can't see peoples faces and that the images get instantly deleted afterward.
The mod removed it, but there was a link to his own website in that post. He was advertising.

ElTigreSantiago

Apr 23, 2009
Svoboda4zizn said:
ElTigreSantiago said:
Tohron said:
ElTigreSantiago said:
They'll complain, right up until the day that they or someone they care about is on a hijacked flight and die...
Plane crashes happen - if we do full body scans, intelligent terrorists will just slip something in the luggage (which continues to recieve only basic scanning), and the stupid ones will get caught much earlier when they begin acting suspiciously. Nothing can make us perfectly safe, but the fact is that right now, the average American's chances of dying in a terrorist attack are lower then the odds of getting struck by lightning... twice.

Airplanes are much safer then cars, but the government doesn't put cops at every major intersection to administer Breathalyzer tests to all drivers. This is all just theater - any terrorist worth taking seriously will bypass these stupid tests, and meanwhile thousands of people are having their privacy violated for nothing.

And people like you let them by throwing around attacks without doing a little reality-check.
I think you need to find a dictionary and look up the word "attack", my friend, because my post did not in any way qualify as one.

Just because they aren't catching terrorists red-handed doesn't mean it's not stopping them. Think of all the attacks that have been stopped simply because the terrorists found out about our security. They won't even attempt it anymore, and that should comfort us. I'm glad to get searched. It's worth the inconvenience* if somebody's life is saved. Because if they slip up even once, that's a lot of people dead, helpless, with no chance.
my post at the top of the page and my post on page three contain information that renders your position moot. The documents linked expose major questions about the safety of the scanners, and they are quite credible sources(CDC and UCSF).

Also attempts occur regularly plotted by both domestic and foreign terrorists, most are foiled by a three letter agency that isn't the TSA.

*you misspelled inconvenience i fixed it :p
Okay sir, two can play at that game. You forgot to capitalize the m in "my". Also, you forgot to capitalize your "i" at the end, and your last sentence has no punctuation. See me after class.

See how much fun that is? My point is, if we had the security we had today in... say September of 2001, then a lot of people would still be alive right now. So I say people should deal with it or, if it's that big of a problem, do something about it. I find complaining to be troublesome.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
brainless_fps_player said:
Well the more places you don't search, the more places an illicit object can be hidden. And we live in uncertain times. Honestly, if you really have a problem with some guy patting your groin or scanning you, you deserve to get blown up. Its a small sacrifice to pay for relative security.
Something I've always wondered.

Let's say the TSA finds a bomb on someone. Is that person gonna say "Oh shucks, you guys got me!" No, they're going to detonate the bomb, turning the TSA agent and nearby pedestrians into paste.

And why would they even submit to searching? If I was a terrorist, and someone even suggested searching me, I'd pull the trigger then.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Although the more thorough pat downs seem a little unnecessary, the full body scans I have no problem with. I have nothing to hide, so in the end why should I be worried about such a thing?