Full Official TMNT Trailer Is A Triumph Of Incomprehensibility

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
webkilla said:
Ok, so the turtles - especially without the mask - look like crap.

That shredder 'made' them? Well damn, I like that even less. But hey, that's Bay... using the lore of TMNT like most people use toilet-paper
I would like to point out that the trailer does not specifically show that at all. The original idea was that the turtles were created when there was an industrial spill of toxic waste, right? It looked more to me like Shredder is a super human intentionally created with this green stuff. He probably went on a rampage just after, destroying the lab and allowing some of the green stuff to run down into the sewers.

And, frankly, the turtles don't look any less crap than they usually do. Now, give it a few months and I am sure he will give you a real reason to hate it.

This actually doesn't look too bad. I didn't get the "gritty" vibe from what was actually shown. I know I am going to get slammed for comparing Micheal Bay to Guillermo del Toro, but this feels more like the Pacific Rim style of action - an inherently ridiculous premise delivering a half serious, half joke story with plenty of awesome action. Not saying Micheal Bay can pull it off, but frankly that is probably what a turtles movie should be shooting for.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
the saddest thing about this is that there will probably never be another movie with for realz martial artists in anthro suits riding skateboards...

Oct 20, 2010
DrOswald said:
webkilla said:
Ok, so the turtles - especially without the mask - look like crap.

That shredder 'made' them? Well damn, I like that even less. But hey, that's Bay... using the lore of TMNT like most people use toilet-paper
I would like to point out that the trailer does not specifically show that at all. The original idea was that the turtles were created when there was an industrial spill of toxic waste, right? It looked more to me like Shredder is a super human intentionally created with this green stuff. He probably went on a rampage just after, destroying the lab and allowing some of the green stuff to run down into the sewers.

And, frankly, the turtles don't look any less crap than they usually do. Now, give it a few months and I am sure he will give you a real reason to hate it.

This actually doesn't look too bad. I didn't get the "gritty" vibe from what was actually shown. I know I am going to get slammed for comparing Micheal Bay to Guillermo del Toro, but this feels more like the Pacific Rim style of action - an inherently ridiculous premise delivering a half serious, half joke story with plenty of awesome action. Not saying Micheal Bay can pull it off, but frankly that is probably what a turtles movie should be shooting for.
Hi DrOswald!

I totally did not pick up on that angle of the Shredder It actually sounds pretty good. I see your point about Pacific Rim, and the Turtles have the absolute potential for that: Technodrome, turtle wagon/blimp etc. But Michael Bay.

Oct 20, 2010
Carrots_macduff said:
the saddest thing about this is that there will probably never be another movie with for realz martial artists in anthro suits riding skateboards...

You said it. I doubt that there's even a skateboard in this abortion.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Shaolen said:
I.....uh.....no. Just no. I will be boycotting this AND the new Transformers. Even IF the latter turns out to be Oscar gold, I don't care. Maybe if enough people don't see these crappy films, Hollywood might get the point? Hire better writers that stay true to the source material. Is it that hard to do?
So you're going to boycott it even if it's good? Isn't that what we want?

OT: It's a bit generic admittedly, but it could have been waaaaaaaaaay worse. I think the turtles themselves (from what little we see of them) look pretty solid.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I'm not averse to some change to source material. I don't mind some change, it can be good for the movie. But this just looks so fucking awful. What happened to Shredder being an imposing Japanese guy? Why is he a skinny white guy, now? Why do the turtles look like... Like... That? They look seriously terrible. They look like... I don't know WHAT they look like. Just awful. And I thought April O'Neil was supposed to be able to show emotion? Why would they cast Megan Fox in a role like that? Or any role, for that matter.

It just looks absolutely terrible. I know you shouldn't judge a movie before you see it, but this is one of those times where you really can.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Hm...maybe. I don't know. I thought that line about the mask was funny, but the turtles look a little...big. Okay, way too big. Too much muscle I think.
So that white guy was Shredder? Why? Isn't Shredder supposed to be Japanese?

Finally, I don't like the idea of The Bad Guy creating The Heroes. It suddenly makes the entire world seem so very small, and that only a few people are actually living in it and have any effect on it. The Star Wars prequels suffered from this too. I liked the randomness of the turtles original origins. So does this mean that Shredder created Splinter now too? Took Mr. O'Neil's pet rat and put it in the ooze?

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
My response to this trailer is:

(A speech vs a trailer, but whatever)

Seriously, what is the drive in attempting to turn everything into the Dark Knight. God that looks awful.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010

RossaLincoln said:
Of course, this means the bad guy created the good guy, but this should in no way remind you of everything wrong with 2012's The Amazing Spider-Man, or of Unbreakable.
Spider man sucked, but there's a lot of people that like Unbreakable. It was one of M Night Shenanigan's weirder movies before he got too stupidly big. Also, the bad guy didn't create the good one, just discovered.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Can we stop acting like Ninja Turtles is some kind of bastion of logic and good writing? I rewatched the original TV series a few years ago, and it featured a scene where a man in a lab coat 'proves' that ninjas broke into a scientific company because he found a rope with 'Made in Japan' on the ground.

Yeah, it definitely won't get any better with Megan Fox and Michael Bay involved, but it's hardly sacred ground they're treading on...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
YAY, Roger Rabbit style Turtles! :D

... Wait, are they supposed to be real?... huh... I guess the CGI is just a little bit heavy handed here...

Well, at least the mask line at the end made me chuckle.

Nex Vesica

May 20, 2010
Shaolen said:
I.....uh.....no. Just no. I will be boycotting this AND the new Transformers. Even IF the latter turns out to be Oscar gold, I don't care. Maybe if enough people don't see these crappy films, Hollywood might get the point? Hire better writers that stay true to the source material. Is it that hard to do?
In a sense, I agree with what you said, but it is the last part that irks me a little. This thread probably wouldn't exist if people always stayed true to the source material as the original TMNT comics are vastly different compared to the stuff in the 80's that really popularized the franchise and made it what it is today. The quality of the writing is what matters the most, and there should certainly be an appreciation for the source material, but at the same time adaptations shouldn't be afraid to stray away and introduce their own elements.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
as a huge michael bay detractor (fuck you and your black-face robots, racist), this actually doesn't look too terrible. i'm not saying i'll be waiting in line for 2 hours on launch day (or whatever you call movie equivalents, i don't remember anymore) but i'll be enjoying this slightly more than i had originally anticipated, if this trailer is anything to go by.

Oct 20, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Can we stop acting like Ninja Turtles is some kind of bastion of logic and good writing? I rewatched the original TV series a few years ago, and it featured a scene where a man in a lab coat 'proves' that ninjas broke into a scientific company because he found a rope with 'Made in Japan' on the ground.

Yeah, it definitely won't get any better with Megan Fox and Michael Bay involved, but it's hardly sacred ground they're treading on...

I don't recall implying EITHER of those things. The complaint is that Michael Bay is behind this, and therefore it will blow chunder chunkies all over while you watch it. And true, it isn't sacred ground that they trod on, but it's still OUR ground. And we would all very much like it if Michael Bay would "Get off my lawn."
Nobody is demanding The Last Samurai level of writing. But after Transformers we dread what will happen to our favorite Brothers. Remember, Michael Bay managed to fuck up Optimus Prime.

I see it like this: all the [incredibly, incredibly limited] creativity in this project is already going into plot contrivances for changing things about the turtles and their world, and not into writing a fun, ninja-turtles story. So after they are finished making an Incomprehensible George Lucas mess with the backstory , they are going to be all out of anything interesting for our heroes to do.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
Well, I loved the ninja turtles as a kid, specially the first movie, and... I like the new designs.

I don't know, the bulky shells, the clearly not human features... They are an interesting new take on the concept. And the wardrobe on them looks good so far.

As for the rest of the trailer... Megan Fox as April O'Neil? Errrr, not a fan. The whole super-dramatic presentation? Not a fan either.

The Shredder design doesn't look half bad either, but if the narrator turns out to be the bad guy, I'll be dissapointed.

All in all, it will probably be a solid popcorn movie, like the first Transformers movie was, and, for the Turtles, that's a pretty good deal. I mean... Could be worse, we could end up with a Vanilla Ice dance number.

Oct 20, 2010
Nex Vesica said:
Shaolen said:
In a sense, I agree with what you said, but it is the last part that irks me a little. This thread probably wouldn't exist if people always stayed true to the source material as the original TMNT comics are vastly different compared to the stuff in the 80's that really popularized the franchise and made it what it is today. The quality of the writing is what matters the most, and there should certainly be an appreciation for the source material, but at the same time adaptations shouldn't be afraid to stray away and introduce their own elements.

Absolutely true. But do you think that Michael Bay is going to do this in a manner which produces a stunning new take on the Turtles which will revolutionize their popularity and re-difne then for a Generation?
Because I think Transformers.

As you say, quality of writing is what matters most. Michael Bay wouldn't understand good story writing if he was Lynch-mobbed by Irate fans and sat down to re-take English and writing class from grade one through a Masters Degree. His Paper would likely be on why Books need more explosions.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Oh look, another shitty blue and orange remake of something from our childhood with Michael Bay's name attached.

Quick rundown:
- I don't know what's really supposed to be happening in that trailer, but it isn't all that interesting
- The Turtles look terrible. They're about 90% shell and I'm honestly not sure how they stand let alone do ninjutsu
- The CGI is awful. Seriously awful. It amazes me that it's 2014 and between this, the Hobbit movies, and god knows how many others I can safely say that our ability to animate some 3D and integrate it into live action shots has been steadily declining for at least ten years

If it weren't for movies like District 9 and Elysium, I'd have no hope for the future of computer effects whatsoever.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
They look fine and atleast the characteristics of Mickey seem spot on. Looks like a cross between the originals and the cartoon show. But still not seen them fighting yet and thats my only issue. Now that could be good or bad.
Well they're certainly a lot more ...robust then they were originally that's for sure. They're fucking massive in this, they look more like their super mutated counterparts from the late 90's(when they had another alien overlord to deal with that wasn't Krang).

On the trailer... it could be fun. Like others have said, Mikey looks to be down pat for his personality though their faces look a bit too smooshed compared to their older designs.

Also, everyone. We have GOT to stop using the term "raping our childhood". It's just not that bad a case even if the revisions and remakes are shit compared to the original. Our childhood versions are still there, completely intact and safe from horrible shit no matter what.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Shamanic Rhythm said:

Go watch the early 2000's series instead. It's actually really good.

And no one is saying the Turtles are really all that sacred. I can give enough reasons why this looks awful without even having to address that it's based on a popular franchise.