Full Refunds Offered as Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues Continue

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Full Refunds Offered as Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues Continue

As Arkham Knight issues persist, Warner Bros. announces unconditional refunds through the end of 2015.

Following a launch available again last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141320-Players-of-the-PC-Version-of-Arkham-Knight-are-Reporting-Gameplay-Issues]. However, players continued to report problems with the title. As a result, Warner Bros. has announced that a full refund will be made available for anyone who wants their money back.

"We are very sorry that many of our customers continue to be unhappy with the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight," Warner Bros. wrote on the game's Steam page [http://steamcommunity.com/games/208650/announcements/detail/128710596369779495]. "We worked hard to get the game to live up to the standard you deserve but understand that many of you are still experiencing issues."

Until the end of 2015, Warner Bros. will be issuing unconditional full refunds for Arkham Knight, "regardless of how long you have played the product." Refunds will also be available for the DLC pass, as long as it is returned with the full game.

For anyone who wants to try to stick it out, Warner Bros. will continue to try to address the issues that are able to be fixed, "and talk to you about the issues that we cannot fix."

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
All I'll say is anyone who took up Silentpony's bet In this thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.882803-Batman-Arkham-Knight-Will-Return-to-PC-Stores-Soon], I had warned you.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
So how do I get a refund or anything on it if it was part of a deal when I bought some PC parts?

I ended up buying the game for my ps4

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I wonder what those problems are that they haven't been able to fix for so long.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
How on earth do you mess up a PC port this badly?! At this rate you could say they just should have spent more than $4 on paying someone to port it because of all these lost sales.

Oh well, at least they have the other Arkam games that actually work on PC to play!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The released the game the first time around clearly having never tested it to make sure it was working. A closed beta would not kill them. The second time around... were they not testing their patch. Maybe a round of closed beta test! Holy shit.

Incomer

Sep 15, 2009
Baresark said:
The released the game the first time around clearly having never tested it to make sure it was working. A closed beta would not kill them. The second time around... were they not testing their patch. Maybe a round of closed beta test! Holy shit.
Whats baffling me to me are the actual specs of the consoles right now. I have no clue but how hard is it to code the damn thing to perform at like 70% performance or something? o_O

ZCAB

Jan 15, 2013
Country
Netherlands
I bought the game from a third party Steam key seller a while after it was pulled from Steam, since it was very cheap due to the controversy (?10).

While I haven't played the version from before the big early September patch to compare, performance is more than acceptable for me as it is today. I get 60 fps with some drops in the Batmobile (but no stuttering whatsoever) at 1080p ultrawide (33% more pixels than regular 1080p plus a wider FOV) with maxed settings. Granted, my PC is far from modest (GTX 970, i5 6600k @ 4.6 Ghz), but it's not nearly as powerful as the top-end PCs that struggled to run the game when it first came out.

People should absolutely get refunds, even if it's just to deter developers from trying something like this again. However, if my experience is the norm rather than the exception (which it probably isn't, but who knows), there's at least an acceptable version of the game out there for those who didn't return it for some reason.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
When this first happened, I just figured that Warner Bros. didn't really give a damn, had half-assed the port to save some time and money and was going to have to do the hard work anyway at a loss. But now? They're losing money hand over fist and it's still not working properly. I'm starting to wonder if there's some custom code they used that just doesn't "play nice" on PC builds and they can't rectify it without a major recode of the engine.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
kajinking said:
How on earth do you mess up a PC port this badly?!
The same way Overkill messed up the console port for Payday 2...only backwards. =3

Just as Overkill actually said "Just go get the game on PC", WB is figuratively saying "Just go get the game on a console."

edgecult

May 4, 2011
Veldie said:
So how do I get a refund or anything on it if it was part of a deal when I bought some PC parts?

I ended up buying the game for my ps4
Unfortunately it appears that Non-Steam customers and people who received it via the nvidia promotion running at launch. (Myself in this camp as the game came with my laptop.) are going to have to sit and wait. The most likely answer to come out will be we just hang onto it and hope it gets fixed to a playable state or just let it languish in your steam library.

I do remember hearing stories from when it got pulled off steam that some retailers were offering Exchanges or refunds to those who were asking. (Specifically NewEgg and Green Man Gaming if I recall correctly..) So it might come back up with this announcement and a new flood of people asking for a swap with this story coming out that something might be done on a retailer by retailer basis.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
The Enquirer said:
Have they just not tested it on PC? Ever?
They farmed it out to a company that had no experience in ports especially for AAA games and subsequently have had to deal with the optimization themselves, which apparently they're wholly unequipped to handle properly.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I was one of the lucky few that didn?t have performance issues, so I completed the game, but it was more of a speed run. I wanted to do a proper playthrough and do all the side stuff when it got fixed and they added in all the missing graphical features etc etc. Since it still doesn?t work, I?ve instead taken advantage of the situation to get a full refund on the game even though I?ve completed it and now I?m going to use that money to buy Fallout 4.

Thanks, WB, you basically just bought me Fallout 4. Maybe next time don't release half a game.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
They really need to get the actual devs onto this and fix it fast, its making WB and them look terrible to their customers and will kill the series completely if it hasnt already.