Fun videogame stories

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
In between Joke and Hot Takes, neither news nor announcements, here's a thread for just videogame talk

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's okay we talk about stories that happened to us with friends and family at arcades and gaming stores, or just playing with friends and family in general?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I remember when I was about 9, I kicked this guy's butt in Tekken 3 at an arcade in Mississippi. The dude was about 24 or 25. He did not realized how good I was. He won a couple of rounds, but I got in the most matches. We both had fun though, but I played of Tekken 3 on PS1. It's how I got so good.

Another one is about my brother when SFII Turbo came out in the arcades. My big bro was kicking his class mates asses (along with some of the older kids and adults too), with Fei Long. A line actually started forming! I think it took about 10 people before somebody finally beat him. People tried to keep him away from the machine, but he was not having it. No scuffles formed, but people let it go, and it was eventually his turn again.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Speaking of arcade days, we often used to close it down on weekends playing KI and MK2/3. At one point the manager discovered a bug in the boot up sequence of MK3, possibly by accident, that made the game boot at max volume. After most of the mall was closed besides the movie theater and K-Mart he’d reboot it so it bugged out and we’d get a few rounds in with it blasting throughout half the mall. The game has heavy hitting sound as it is, but that was nuts to the point of it rattling your bones. We could hear Smoke’s earth bomb fatality in the middle of K-Mart lol.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Back in my high-school days, in the heyday of the SNES, my best friend and I were both fans of fighting games. When the SNES version of Street Fighter II was announced, we both nearly went insane with anticipation, counting the days until he could buy it (he was the rich one; his father worked for Exxon, and my mother worked for tips). Finally, the fabled day arrived, and we took the bus to the mall to pick up the preordered cartridge. The entire trip back was spent reading the manual and anticipating all the fun we'd have....

...until we got back to his house, to find that he'd forgotten his key and we were locked out with no one else home.

So we then spent two hours on the stoop in a constant drizzle, still anticipating the fun we'd have, until his father got back.

(It was totally worth it tho.)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
When Mortal Kombat first came out, the arcade nearest my house was nearby, but too far for a couple of pre-teens like us. We went once, and when our parents found out, we were forbidden to go back, but our blood lust needed sating! My buddy and I lied to our parents saying we were going to a mutual friend's house and biked up to the arcade. After about an hour, last quarters spent, we went outside to where we'd left our bikes, and mine was gone. Stolen. I immediately came up with the plan to say my bike had been stolen from our friend's house we'd said we'd been at, and was completely confident it'd work. The moment I got got home and saw my mom, she must have used some weird parental mind control because before I could cough up the lie, the truth was already coming out of my mouth. Truth and tears. I got grounded, and it was weeks before my parents replaced my bike; I was the walking-est 12-year-old in the neighborhood for nigh a month. Little do my parents know I was walking to the arcade to play Mortal Kombat. Fuck it, I had nothing to lose anymore!

Reactions: BrawlMan