Funny events in anti-woke world

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The Love America Act

Hawley wants to make sure that children can recite the pledge of allegiance, preamble to the constitution and Bill of Rights because he wants to prove that America wasn't built on racism

....And apparently hasn't read said documents because some of those are evidence people provide FOR America being built on racism. Just skips over it stating people are actually only 3/5 of people etc

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Efficient appliances help. They are but one factor of many. And frankly both Intel, AMD and nVidia could do to improve the efficiency of their devices.

As for new green deal, no idea. Perhaps ask the relevant parties and not rhetorically asking me.
Washington one of the states doing this is a nexus for crypto-currency, California is full of cargo ships in their ports that eat massive amounts of fuel because corporate cuck business supply-chain majors decided to use low labor costs in countries in the global south to make climate change worst. Also, I personally have cut my beef, and lamb consumption in half if not more, and even if I didn't climate change is a systemic problem requiring reworks of capitalism, supply-chains, and the global economy. Stupid neoliberal policy-wonks who pass the cost of fixing climate change to the consumers vs the ultra-wealthy, and the top 1% aren't going to fix it.

Also, this law doesn't affect business computers, rich elite Hollywood editing PCs, or cloud computing it just affects consumers, and personal pcs because Gavin Newsom is a do-nothing corporate democrat who doesn't believe in systemic change.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Efficient appliances help. They are but one factor of many. And frankly both Intel, AMD and nVidia could do to improve the efficiency of their devices.
Interesting point. One of the articles cited mentions a fridge. But I'm pretty sure fridges use about a fifth of the power they did back in the 1980s - they are in that sense a good model of how to make appliances more energy efficient.

That does not necessarily translate into computers - just because a fridge can be made more energy efficient doesn't mean a computer can so readily, and of course computers have become vastly more powerful where fridges need merely do the same job they did decades ago. But I cannot help but suspect that it is something computer manufacturers have not put a great deal of thought into.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Why, don't you Love America?
No. It's not my country by citizenship or residence, so I have no civic duty to love it.

It's not my favourite country, although my overall view of the USA tends to the positive, as it's better than most of the other ~200 countries out there.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hitler himself, of course, was hardly the sort of physical specimen he lionised. But he genuinely had big ideas and the will and brutality to make them happen, and the willingness to risk punishment like getting a kicking and jail sentence.
And also fought in WW1, got a medal (Iron Heart?) for bravery, IIRC.

Of course, that caused problems later on, as he knew what war was like, and that WW2 wasn't WW1 was something his advisors couldn't get him to acknowledge sometimes.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
And also fought in WW1, got a medal (Iron Heart?) for bravery, IIRC.
"Iron Cross": in one of those supreme ironies, the officer who recommended him for it was Jewish...

Of course, that caused problems later on, as he knew what war was like, and that WW2 wasn't WW1 was something his advisors couldn't get him to acknowledge sometimes.
I'm pretty sure he reached the rank of corporal (don't know the German equivalent term), which is certainly not the sort of rank that normally grants great strategic insight. Goering was similar but worse - an ace pilot in his day, but as an air force commander just an incompetent, self-aggrandising buffoon.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Saelune, when we knew her, was a young transwoman living in the US. She was clearly in a very difficult point in her life of having to come to terms with the fact that a significant number of people in her own country wanted her to not exist, and that a far, far greater proportion either didn't care about that or were engaged in actively exploiting it for political gain. She was watching her own existence and her basic rights to things everyone else takes for granted become a "political issue" to be debated and, for her, it was probably the first time. Those of us who are a bit older have seen this before, but she clearly had not and had not developed the special kind of emotional resilience it takes to endure something like that.
I tried to get along with her as best as possible. It sucks that she had to go through all that, but she did have a a persecution complex and a with me against me attitude. There's times where she went off on me even though I agree with her points a majority of the time. I just hope things are getting better for her.

It's easy to avoid the connection between actual Hitler saluting neo-Nazis and the totally 100% very politically moderate people who coincidentally indulge or defend the same beliefs.. as long as it's not you in the firing line. Although let's be real, a lot of on this forum at the time couldn't see that line either and were determined to conclude that actual, ideological Nazis who used Nazi symbolism were just ironic memers, or that the mythical "SJW"s were the real Nazis because they said mean things about video games. I didn't agree with everything Saelune said, but what always upset me far, far more than anything she said was the lack of empathy she received. There are very obvious reasons why she felt the way she did, and some of you could have stood to meditate on those reasons for at least a minute.
Pretty much why I didn't join the forum till about 2016. I was going to do it earlier, but then the whole gamer gate and sjw bull crap rear ended it's ugly head. And even then, the site still had its demons and those that were ignore the actions of racists or neo-nazis.

Zontar was an actual, literal neo-Nazi. He went around saying actual, literal neo-Nazi things on this very forum for a long time before being banned. I always found him kind of funny and pathetic. Saelune didn't though
Always hated him and had no respect for him. I never found him "funny".

Last edited:
Reactions: Buyetyen

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
It's not my favourite country, although my overall view of the USA tends to the positive, as it's better than most of the other ~200 countries out there.
Maybe top 50% but I wouldn't get ahead of yourself my dude.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Was not sure whether to make seperate thread for this, but it looks to be fit for this one methinks, hope everyone likes astroturfing for the anti"woke" outrage machine. Which, by the way, also occured in the UK during the last few elections that have been confirmed at least. It really helps to try and be ahead of these tricks instead of behind over and over again.

(Source hyperlinks removed to post but are available in page)

As soon as Casie Tomlin found the FedEx envelope in her mailbox, she knew something looked fishy. Inside, a flyer from a group called Dallas Justice Now urged parents in Dallas’ wealthy — and largely white — Highland Park and University Park suburbs to not send their kids to Ivy League schools.

The parents needed to make space for students of color, the statement said. If they didn’t sign the pledge, Dallas Justice Now would publish their names online. The statement also appeared on PR Newswire, a pay-for-play press release service.

Then, she typed a few questions on Dallas Justice Now’s Facebook page. She donated money to the group to see if she could get more information. She tried to contact the people behind it.

Before she knew it, Tomlin had been doxxed. Dallas Justice Now published a follow-up press release, accusing her of being a white supremacist. The group then wrote several posts about Tomlin on its Facebook page.

Later, Tomlin took to Twitter and wrote, “I knew it was fake and designed to draw a rise the first time I saw this nonsense.”

Meanwhile, Dallas Justice Now blew up in right-wing media. The story appeared at the Post Millennial, a far-right website based in Canada. The British Daily Mail tabloid ran a story about the saga. Conservative media figures had a field day. "Yes, this is real," wrote Matt Walsh, an ultra-conservative Twitter personality and columnist for the Daily Wire.

The ultra-conservative PJ Media warned that the “local Black Lives Matter group Dallas Justice Now launched a new campaign, urging white parents in wealthy Highland Park to sign a pledge to keep their children from applying to America’s top colleges — in the name of ‘equity.’”

On Tuesday night, the scandal even found its way to Tucker Carlson Tonight, the Fox News showed headed by its eponymous far-right host. Host Mark Stein, who was filling in for Carlson, described the Dallas Justice Now debacle as "one of those stories that would have been a rather dull satire a decade ago, but these days, it is just standard operating procedure." (To be fair, no one said Tucker's team included crack fact-checkers.)

Now, Tomlin suspects the entire operation is a hoax and she’s been targeted for her attempts to get to the bottom of it. “This is a major alt-right extremist production designed to get people to do things they aren’t even doing so you will vote Republican,” Tomlin wrote in a public post on Reddit.

She may be onto something. Scant public information is available about Dallas Justice Now or its leadership. The group hasn’t replied to the Observer’s inquires, but the group’s website traces back to a right-wing PR firm called Arena. Online research also connects Arena to Keep Dallas Safe, an organization run by a confirmed astroturfer, suggesting there may be deeper connections between these efforts in terms of funders and strategy.

One of the local anti-fascists who combed through the website’s history told the Observer that they “noticed [Dallas Justice Now] had backdated blog posts from before their website was up, and so we started looking through their posts.” (The researcher requested to remain anonymous.)

It didn’t take long for the researchers to locate source code that led back to Arena in an archived version of Dallas Justice Now’s website. From there, they found a server that showed several similar testing sites, including one for Keep Dallas Safe.

Profiles on GitHub, a website where computer programmers share their work, confirm that the template that these staging websites use, including the ones for Dallas Justice Now, was created by individuals who work at Arena.

Arena has worked for the National Republican Senatorial Committee, the Michigan Republican Party and various other right-wing politicians and political campaigns. They also appear to have worked with Keep Dallas Safe, according to the Luceo Solutions site index as well as source code of the Keep Dallas Safe staging website. (Earlier this year, Keep Dallas Safe targeted candidates in the Dallas City Council election with false claims that they intended to defund the police.

None of this explains the name on the flyer: Michele Washington. Washington could not be reached for comment. And questions remain about why a woman identified as Washington and another woman who appeared in a Dallas Justice Now promotional video, identified only as Jamila, are working with a right-wing PR firm.

Though the organization claims to be a nonprofit, Dallas Justice Now doesn’t show up in the government’s nonprofit database. A recently reported claim by Washington that Dr. Troy Harden, a professor of ethnic studies, would be joining the group's advisory board has been rejected by Harden as a lie, according to the Daily Mail report.

Public records searches turn up one person by the name of Michele Washington, the quoted spokesperson for the group, who ostensibly resides in Richardson. Multiple attempts to contact Washington have gone unreturned. Other than one video on Facebook, little else is known about Jamila, the only named member whose face has appeared in photos or videos online. No other named individuals can be linked to the organization.

Still, the story of the pledge threatening to expose non-signatories as racists has continued to spread on the internet.

Early on, opponents of critical race theory boosted the story. It was first covered by Dallas City Wire, a website owned by conservative businessman and former journalist Brian Timpone. Timpone heads a network of content farm “local news” websites.

In October 2020, The New York Times investigated a network of 1,300 local news sites that regularly published stories “directed by political groups and corporate PR firms to promote a Republican candidate or a company, or to smear their rivals.”

Many of those articles, the Times observed, were written under fake bylines by people as far off as the Philippines.

“The network is largely overseen by Brian Timpone, a TV reporter turned internet entrepreneur who has sought to capitalize on the decline of local news organizations for nearly two decades,” the Times wrote. “He has built the network with the help of several others, including a Texas brand-management consultant and a conservative Chicago radio personality.”

In an article that same month, D Magazine observed that “what sets Timpone’s network apart is both its size — it is now twice as large as Gannett, the nation’s largest newspaper chain — and the lengths it goes to obscure the source and funding behind content.”

In December 2019, Columbia Journalism Review dug into Timpone’s network, which it described as “pink slime,” or “low-cost automated story generation.”

Dallas Justice Now’s Twitter account sprung up in October 2020, and the following month, Dallas City Wire published the first story mentioning the organization. In that article, New York-based reporter Juliette Fairley wrote that Dallas Justice Now was campaigning to abolish police unions.

Fairley has also contributed to the pro-Trump Newsmax website and The Epoch Times, a far-right newspaper linked to the Chinese cult Falun Gong. (The Epoch Times has since published a story about the Dallas pledge controversy.) Fairley has also written for the Dallas Express, a formerly Black-owned newspaper that local hotelier Monty Bennett recently resurrected as a right-wing clickbait site.

On July 23, Fairley wrote a second story about Dallas Justice Now, highlighting the pledge controversy and citing the PR Newswire press release. On their website, Dallas Justice Now thanked Fairley for the coverage, a puzzling choice given that the group is supposedly a social justice outfit and that Fairley has written widely for far-right media outlets.

When approached for assistance reaching Washington, whom Fairley quotes widely in her articles, she responded but wouldn’t provide Washington’s phone number. Instead, she linked to the paid press releases. When asked if she had personally spoken with Washington, she refused to comment, and then said she had forwarded the request to her supervisor.

His name, Fairley said, was Brian Timpone.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I just watched 1 or 2 videos of the whole controversy behind He-Man and suddenly I get so many recommended videos and feeds from obviously "anti-woke/alt-right" youtubers like the Quartering and Geeks + Gamers and other channels.

The anti-woke mob is still infesting Youtube.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I just watched 1 or 2 videos of the whole controversy behind He-Man and suddenly I get so many recommended videos and feeds from obviously "anti-woke/alt-right" youtubers like the Quartering and Geeks + Gamers and other channels.

The anti-woke mob is still infesting Youtube.
All the more reason I despise Youtubes and why I will only watch the occansional lets play and cooking shows but those "anti woke" assclowns still sneak there ass in.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
All the more reason I despise Youtubes and why I will only watch the occansional lets play and cooking shows but those "anti woke" assclowns still sneak there ass in.
This is how I ended up being a follower of Sargon of Akkad. (No longer mind you, fuck Sargoon of Fuckwad)

All because I wanted to know what was up with (2 events that the Escapist does not want referenced)

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
If you measure functioning by the ability to plunder the world, perhaps.
Organisation / cohesion, technological advancement, stability and so on generally make for more successful societies. They are also the sorts of characteristics that enable societies to dominate and/or exploit other societies.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Was not sure whether to make seperate thread for this, but it looks to be fit for this one methinks, hope everyone likes astroturfing for the anti"woke" outrage machine. Which, by the way, also occured in the UK during the last few elections that have been confirmed at least. It really helps to try and be ahead of these tricks instead of behind over and over again.
If we to ever wonder about reasons for public disenchantment with politics, that political activists think they should behave in a way indistinguishable from conmen surely has to be a significant factor.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Organisation / cohesion, technological advancement, stability and so on generally make for more successful societies. They are also the sorts of characteristics that enable societies to dominate and/or exploit other societies.
They certainly help, and some level of those are necessary to dominate and exploit other societies-- and other classes within one's own society-- but they are not sufficient to do so.