Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yes, that is correct. The problem is not that you didn't get to the right conclusion on gun homicides being more common in urban areas, but that you completely screwed up a lot of the reasoning on how to assess safety.
And by right you mean yours.

I've already broken down how easily manipulated the stats used are but yet you now are arguing they're still reprsentative?

For a single small unit and single year, yes. But responsible statisticians are not going to make that kind of rookie error.
And yet the stats cited were based on one set of stats for 1 year and already I pointed out a hole in the methodology of it being gun death reports which included suicides.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Jesus Christ, you're genuinely posting an article that pushes Pizzagate as genuine. What a fucking joke, get a grip.
Oh the actual Pizza game stuff is a joke (then again I sourced this one for lack of other places talking about it).
But the idea of there being some high level people doing stuff and it being organised, well seems weird how so many fairly high profile people keep getting arrested like that cable TV producer not long ago too.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Context:

On a 3 hour long livestream for about 5 minutes of it a guy whose schtick in part if deliberately over-reactions yelled about pronouns being in everything being a stupid paradigm of the modern world. This was then clipped by a left wing slacktivist and posted on twitter and presented as a guy just having made this video on it rather that in the wider context of a long live steam with a person who deliberately over-reacts.

It would be like me saying this the entirety of Hasan Piker's content is whining that people just want him to die and him not understanding stuff

Context:

I 100% couldn't give a shit about weird YouTube drama, and I think it's unhealthy how invested people get in these personas that exist to separate you from the contents of your wallet and your brain.

But you're telling me he did the pronoun meltdown thing for five minutes? I thought it would have been like maybe 30 seconds. Five minutes?! Jesus.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
I've already broken down how easily manipulated the stats used are but yet you now are arguing they're still reprsentative?
No, on things like the per capita crime you're just flat wrong.

After that, you have some vague arguments about how stats could be manipulated, but you have not demonstrated any of these supposed manipulations apply to the situation in hand. Chucking out variations on "lies, damn lies and statistics" without bothering to provide a good case is itself a manipulation - because of course statistics can be rigorously scrutinised. What do you think much of STEM is about? You are arguing about the importance of STEM elsewhere in this forum, and yet here trampling all over it.

Reactions: Satinavian

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
No, on things like the per capita crime you're just flat wrong.

After that, you have some vague arguments about how stats could be manipulated, but you have not demonstrated any of these supposed manipulations apply to the situation in hand. Chucking out variations on "lies, damn lies and statistics" without bothering to provide a good case is itself a manipulation - because of course statistics can be rigorously scrutinised. What do you think much of STEM is about? You are arguing about the importance of STEM elsewhere in this forum, and yet here trampling all over it.
Because I actually read the per capita report seemingly being referenced...................That's where I got the gun deaths vs gun suicides from by looking into wider data. Is reporting suicides as deaths not a gross misrepresentation when referencing gun violence?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Oh the actual Pizza game stuff is a joke (then again I sourced this one for lack of other places talking about it).
It's pretty clear from the rest of that site that they're not joking. Sorry, you just posted brainrot conspiracy shite.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
That's where I got the gun deaths vs gun suicides from by looking into wider data. Is reporting suicides as deaths not a gross misrepresentation when referencing gun violence?
Er, suicides are deaths, so reporting them as deaths is highly appropriate. Suicides are also violence, so reporting them as violence is also appropriate.

I think what you mean is that reporting suicides with other deaths in a manner which implies they are homicides is misrepresentation, and I think that numerous media outlets were very shifty in this regard.

However, lots of other things you argued was flawed or wrong, and it's that stuff I'm picking up on.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Uh-huh, but this doesn't really address the nature of the criticism.

If a country were to experience a completely unrelated rise or fall in deaths from completely unrelated causes, your source would weight those identically to deaths from covid. Wouldn't it?
You look into if they are or aren't related.

No - remember that whole correlation / causation thing? More people died in 2020 in traffic accidents than in 2019. There is no clear evidence this was due to covid restrictions.

In the USA, it's also quite interesting. Traffic deaths over the last 10 years:

2013: 32,719
2014: 32,675
2015: 35,092
2016: 37,461
2017: 37,133
2018: 36,560
2019: 36,096
2020: 38,824
2021: 42,939
2022: 42,795

Given the general increasing trend, I would suggest that there's something else going on here rather than covid.
There were less driving miles in 2020 because of the restrictions, yet more deaths by car accidents. Pretty logical to come to the conclusion that the average speed was higher, thus resulting in more deadly accidents. Police reported accidents fell by 22.3% in 2020 by the way.

So not gonna comment on how you were wrong about the fatality rate and covid vaccines? Funny how you always excerpt out those things and never admit being wrong...

Getting rid of lockdowns caused more car accidents death!

You can see it right there in the data

Time to lock it down again everyone
Really, you all just hear what you wanna hear. I wonder why car accident deaths increased with people driving less miles and accidents fell by over 20%. What changed in 2020 from the previous year? I guess we need like Sherlock Holmes' amazing power of deduction to figure this one out guys!!! Complete mystery!!!

So in other words, it's because people changed how they drove. What you described is literally how people changed how they drove.

Why did people change how they drove?

So you got no evidence, gotcha, seems like no one ever has any evidence to back up any of their claims on this board.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Really, you all just hear what you wanna hear. I wonder why car accident deaths increased with people driving less miles and accidents fell by over 20%. What changed in 2020 from the previous year? I guess we need like Sherlock Holmes' amazing power of deduction to figure this one out guys!!! Complete mystery!!!
I think you might be mistaking lockdowns causing less traffic

As a person whose country actually lockdown, the traffic changed very little

Because a good lockdown KEEPS BUSINESSES OPEN

Edit: I don't know if I can call it good. There were mistakes. It just wasn't stupid. And it wasn't stupid like keeping the country open pretending that won't hurt businees in the short or long term

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
So not gonna comment on how you were wrong about the fatality rate and covid vaccines? Funny how you always excerpt out those things and never admit being wrong...
If you mean did I mistakenly say infections instead of mortality, yes I'm happy to admit that. And thank you for realising it was an inadvertent error and being constructive about it.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Sleath: fiber mat 5th generation planes make not being able to afford healthcare in the US almost worth it. Almost.

" A good example of this is the downing of a Russian Su-35s, Russia’s newest aircraft in late March 2022 [20]. It was speculated that the radar on this 5th generation aircraft was delivered to NATO countries in order to obtain the frequencies the Russians use on their radar, and possibly test this against their own stealth aircraft to see how they fare. "

Nevermind the author made a mistake. The Su-35 is a 4th gen plane, not fifth gen.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Can you explain what was locked down then?
Sure. You keep as many people at home as possible for a few weeks. Once the problem is gone, lock down the border and you're pretty much as good as gold. Everyone can go about their day as needed

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Sure. You keep as many people at home as possible for a few weeks. Once the problem is gone, lock down the border and you're pretty much as good as gold. Everyone can go about their day as needed
There are very few places on the planet where there is even the tiniest chance that works. You have to start holing up before there's significant community spread, and most places can't actually lock down international travel, and most places have animal populations that act as carriers for sars-cov-ii. If you are lucky enough that the problem can just go away in a few weeks, that's luck of the draw, you haven't conquered pandemics, I promise.

But also, the problem didn't actually go away, it just took slightly longer to get there, you still all got exposed to covid just like the rest of the world did. Once it was spreading significantly, Australian cities attempted months long lockdowns like the rest of the world had tried, and it failed exactly the same, and then they just let it run its course in 2022.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Honestly, they need it.

Edit 2: Fine I will elaborate, in South America there is the Pink Wave. Far-lefty leaders have been elected with mixed success. You have Brazil, Maduroland(Venezuela), and Argentina. Brazil has a competent leader, and Venezuela has a cult of personality and an incompetent leader, but that could change.

Argentina is a clusterfuck with a political movement centered around incompetent leaders. They got complacent. In the 1940s and 1950s it was booming due to the same reasons the US was (World War 2 meant a great economy for the western hemisphere), but instead of pursuing better policy, and starting up companies or organizations that can be capitalized on this. They let idiots be in charge of their government, the Peronists who decided to pander and buy votes with welfare programs funded by cheap loans, and when those loans failed to be paid they defaulted... multiple times, in a resource-rich country. Oh, and their public sector is both huge and inefficient like a poorly run Cuba with no sanctions.

Then, a dictatorship from the US came, and they didn't do anything useful despite trying hard to do neoliberalism via Operation Condor. Also, they have tried every type of government but libertarianism except today.

All they had to do was sell stuff to China, Brazil, US, and Europe by making shit with the resources they had. That's it, countries like Japan or South Korea couldn't do it because they had little natural resources and had to do value-added manufacturing.

Granted I don't know how much the US screwed their trade policy. I am guessing a powerful Argentinia would be against US interests until the 1990s to 2010s growth era, and perhaps still then. But I don't have access to classified history so this will have to do.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
There are very few places on the planet where there is even the tiniest chance that works. You have to start holing up before there's significant community spread, and most places can't actually lock down international travel, and most places have animal populations that act as carriers for sars-cov-ii. If you are lucky enough that the problem can just go away in a few weeks, that's luck of the draw, you haven't conquered pandemics, I promise.

But also, the problem didn't actually go away, it just took slightly longer to get there, you still all got exposed to covid just like the rest of the world did. Once it was spreading significantly, Australian cities attempted months long lockdowns like the rest of the world had tried, and it failed exactly the same, and then they just let it run its course in 2022.
An Australian city did that. Australia is not Melbourne

Over the two years, my city was locked down for 7 weeks. Most major cities were like that

But you are right. A proper lockdown required a government who was willing to do the right thing and a population who was willing to put up with short term pain for long term results

America is not that country.