Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
There's the reality of people setting themselves against it solely for political reasons rather than any "love of the character", as you very explicitly have done here. You're very clear you want to "see it burn"... not for any creative reason, but solely because you think other people you politically hate might like it.

Truly, it's about the most petty, cruel-spirited position anyone could take. Other people might want it, so "let it burn".
Thank you for telling me what I think oh grand psychic.

Now how about next week's lottery numbers so you can be useful here?

I stated my position. You twisted it. Now you're going to get tetchy because I'm calling you on it again

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I shocked they didn't try to cram an "identify as" joke in that headline
That would've at least been current. Stupid, but current. This joke might as well have been a 'Batgirl be shopping, wastes 90 million' joke. That's how easy it is. Man, I could be writing for the Babylon Bee making the big grift bucks, dang it!

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's just a logical extension of why we don't do blackface anymore. Is there a specific part you're objecting to?
Most gay characters today, whether live-action or animated, are still portrayed by straight actors anyway. So the idea of 'how ridiculous that straight actors can't play gay characters' is just another nothing bit of outrage by the usual crowd.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Most gay characters today, whether live-action or animated, are still portrayed by straight actors anyway. So the idea of 'how ridiculous that straight actors can't play gay characters' is just another nothing bit of outrage by the usual crowd.
It's not outrage just ridiculous things said that make no sense and are only less progressive and you just got nothing but...

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
You literally stated your position. You're happy to "see it burn". And literally the only reasons you gave were petty political point-scoring.
yes because the only joy people would get from it is using it as a political cudgel to attack others and yell about "It's our DC now pissbabies" then like petulant kids abandon it shortly after and do little more than yell that it's the fault of bigots the new films aren't making the number and not the fact there just isn't he level of support. No somehow bigots are stopping the very real very vast number of people who keep on twitter about how if companies bend to heir whim and make all these changes they'd throw money at [insert property they don't care about and have never really cared about]

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It's just a logical extension of why we don't do blackface anymore. Is there a specific part you're objecting to?
So when we hit the silly logical point of "Everyone can only play a character just like they are in real life on film" can we go back again because again it's called acting.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's not outrage just ridiculous things said that make no sense and are only less progressive and you just got nothing but...
Yeah, the linear passage of time and the subsequent slight changes in society trip a lot of people up. You'll get there though
RDJ did blackface in one of the funniest movies ever, nothing wrong with it if done properly. Can gay people not portray straight people?
Is anybody saying otherwise? No seriously, is anybody saying "straight people cannot ever play gay people"?

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
RDJ did blackface in one of the funniest movies ever, nothing wrong with it if done properly.
'Done properly' being making sure the audience knows this guy is a complete egomaniacal buffoon for doing it. It's pretty much the only place blackface can go, and it certainly wasn't trying to say there's nothing wrong with it. Quite the opposite actually.

Can gay people not portray straight people?
When straight actors portray gay characters it's for Oscar clout mostly. When gay actors portay straight characters it's because that's virtually the only way for them to even land a part. Straight actors have the option to play gay, gay actors have almost no option to not play straight. So your argument is less than apt.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
yes because the only joy people would get from it is using it as a political cudgel to attack others and yell about "It's our DC now pissbabies" then like petulant kids abandon it shortly after and do little more than yell that it's the fault of bigots the new films aren't making the number and not the fact there just isn't he level of support. No somehow bigots are stopping the very real very vast number of people who keep on twitter about how if companies bend to heir whim and make all these changes they'd throw money at [insert property they don't care about and have never really cared about]
So, no one could have possibly looking forward to Batgirl as a movie. Good to know you know what every person who was actually interested in the movie was thinking, and yet we are the ones in the wrong for assuming you wanted it to fail/bomb just to show it to those SJWs...when you are basically saying exactly that.

ETA: For the record, I was interested in Batgirl because I saw it as a chance for Brendan Fraser to get back into Hollywood after circumstances outside his control (and being at least sexually harassed behind the scenes) caused his career to get derailed.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
yes because the only joy people would get from it is using it as a political cudgel to attack others and yell about "It's our DC now pissbabies"
Lol ok. "Thank you for telling us what we think, oh grand psychic", eh?

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So, no one could have possibly looking forward to Batgirl as a movie. Good to know you know what every person who was actually interested in the movie was thinking, and yet we are the ones in the wrong for assuming you wanted it to fail/bomb just to show it to those SJWs...when you are basically saying exactly that.
Let us not forget it was the reactionaries that used Alita Battle Angel as a political cudgel (good word btw 'cudgel') against Captain Marvel, Sonic the Hedgehog as one against Birds of Prey, Ghost of Tsushima as one against The Last of Us Part 2, and recently Minions: The Rise of Gru against Lightyear. Yes, Minions; a movie these people would normally not give a fuck about if not flat out dislike, was now great because they could use it to attack Lightyear for having one scene of gayness (that still got censored on Disney+).

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yeah, the linear passage of time and the subsequent slight changes in society trip a lot of people up. You'll get there though

Is anybody saying otherwise? No seriously, is anybody saying "straight people cannot ever play gay people"?
Why are people saying a straight person can't play that role in Philadelphia today? You know the thing I literally have never looked up in my life? Whether an actor in real life has the same sexuality as the character they are portraying. You do realize, you're supposed to not care about these things, stuff like this is only moving things backwards not forwards.

'Done properly' being making sure the audience knows this guy is a complete egomaniacal buffoon for doing it. It's pretty much the only place blackface can go, and it certainly wasn't trying to say there's nothing wrong with it. Quite the opposite actually.

When straight actors portray gay characters it's for Oscar clout mostly. When gay actors portay straight characters it's because that's virtually the only way for them to even land a part. Straight actors have the option to play gay, gay actors have almost no option to not play straight. So your argument is less than apt.
It's an example of why you don't blanket ban things. The "blackface" episode of Community got removed off Netflix and Hulu, I guess dressing up as fantasy races is racist now...

It wasn't an argument, just an example of how ridiculous it is. Nobody is ever going to look back at Philadelphia being problematic like Ace Ventura.