Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Well there’s involvement and there’s “involvement”. Either way, the Iranian government is likely in some way responsible for this.
Sorry, the sarcasm in the second sentence maybe didn't come through: the Iranian government very obviously bears substantial responsibility.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
So murder in the name of one's religion is "woke" now too, huh?
"Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences" sounds an awful lot like something I've heard people of a...certain political bent say a lot in the last few years to defend harassment or worse of people who say things they find offensive. Rushdie's situation is just that taken to an extreme.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
"Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences" sounds an awful lot like something I've heard people of a...certain political bent say a lot in the last few years to defend harassment or worse of people who say things they find offensive. Rushdie's situation is just that taken to an extreme.
"Those who are fine with someone's employer censuring bad behaviour must also be fine with attempted murder" is quite a stretch.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So we ARE regarding murder in the name of religion as "woke"... because it sounds like it.

And thus "woke" becomes even more of a meaningless boogie word than it already was.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
:rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't think that's a very deep or interesting perspective.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, it's a fairly common saying that the greatest award a journalist can get is murdered by the CIA

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
:rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't think that's a very deep or interesting perspective.
It doesn't need to be deep. "Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences" is a spectrum - at the one end there's being told off or getting downvoted on Reddit or other similarly mild things and at the other end is stuff like being assaulted for wearing a political slogan, being stabbed for writing a book, etc and at the far extreme of that end is a price on your head or a fatwa or similar.

How far down that scale someone is willing to consider "acceptable" varies wildly, and for many depends on whether or not that particular bit of speech offends them in particular. Hence people who will support assaulting someone for wearing the wrong political slogan but consider mean social media comments to be dangerous harassment when aimed at people they agree with. Because if people didn't have double standards they'd have none at all.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So murder in the name of one's religion is "woke" now too, huh?

View attachment 6784

I guess we should also believe Russia telling us they're a safe haven from the evil "cancel culture".
Pushing the idea of "It's freedom of Speech not freedom from consequences" and the idea of "Speech that offends justifies violence back as the speech itself is violence" rhetoric rather is lol.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
"Happy to see it burn". Not really sure how I could've fit in any more petty spite than you already put into it yourself, champ.
and now put the rest of the context round that small extract.

Because without context you could have just said.
" Not really sure"

Funny how you don't have an actual counter argument but rely on the same kind of PR short clip to try and frame any kind of narrative. You don't actually have a counter argument just the same old stale PR tricks and sophisry that I'd hope people with sense are starting to
- that's why when I was describing what you believed,
Oh look you totally telling me and everyone else what I believe and admitting to doing it without evidence.

You are right. 'Woke' people didnt care one way or the other

I don't know why you needed the lol. This was clearly true
Because it shows how hollow the woke crowd are. A show with diversity that's just there, they don't care. A show pushed heavily by certain media and personalities and some grand moment in activism? Suddenly they're yelling about it on twitter and getting mad despite having previously written the DCEU off as "That shitty Toxic place that's not Marvel" pretty much

See, this is what you call a lie. It was just marketing. You're putting the woke into it
Woke ideology is a lie though lol. One of the biggest lies going.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
"Those who are fine with someone's employer censuring bad behaviour must also be fine with attempted murder" is quite a stretch.
Pretty sure some-one tried to attach Dave Chapelle on stage not long ago and it was framed by some as a brave move. Same with when Vito went to the Dave Chapelle Netflix protest and him and his friend got attacked.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Pushing the idea of "It's freedom of Speech not freedom from consequences" and the idea of "Speech that offends justifies violence back as the speech itself is violence" rhetoric rather is lol.
So we already went from 'the "woke" claims freedom of speech is not freedom of consequence' to 'the "woke" claims speech that offends justifies violence'. Based on how many cherry picked twitter posts are you deciding this is "woke" rhetoric?
Pretty sure some-one tried to attach Dave Chapelle on stage not long ago and it was framed by some as a brave move.
Framed as brave by who?
Same with when Vito went to the Dave Chapelle Netflix protest and him and his friend got attacked.
Yeah, because those two obviously didn't go there to troll and stir up trouble. No, not at all.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It doesn't need to be deep. "Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences" is a spectrum - at the one end there's being told off or getting downvoted on Reddit or other similarly mild things and at the other end is stuff like being assaulted for wearing a political slogan, being stabbed for writing a book, etc and at the far extreme of that end is a price on your head or a fatwa or similar.

How far down that scale someone is willing to consider "acceptable" varies wildly, and for many depends on whether or not that particular bit of speech offends them in particular. Hence people who will support assaulting someone for wearing the wrong political slogan but consider mean social media comments to be dangerous harassment when aimed at people they agree with. Because if people didn't have double standards they'd have none at all.
I like to use Vincent Vega for this sort of thing: “Tony probably didn’t expect Marcellus to react the way he did, but he had to expect a reaction”. And that’s just a less poetic way of Newton’s own “For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction”. Now that’s an immutable force of the universe, but as human beings we have the capacity to react as we choose. Ranging from not at all to grossly overreacting and when measured against mere writings, violence is a gross overreaction. Now Sir Salman Rushdie is by all accounts an educated man, and I doubt he penned the Satanic Verses thinking “No way this will make waves”; but even if he expected, he did not then or now deserve assassination or other violence.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Funny how you don't have an actual counter argument but rely on the same kind of PR short clip to try and frame any kind of narrative. You don't actually have a counter argument just the same old stale PR tricks and sophisry that I'd hope people with sense are starting to
Yes, it's quite a "stale PR trick" to quote your own words at you. Very underhanded, very sneaky.

I encourage anyone else reading along to go back to the original post for full context. Don't let me take it out of context to make it sound bad! Read the unadulterated version, where political opponents are likened to a "locust horde", and the project should "burn" because our hero knows they must only like it to push an "agenda".

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Because it shows how hollow the woke crowd are. A show with diversity that's just there, they don't care. A show pushed heavily by certain media and personalities and some grand moment in activism? Suddenly they're yelling about it on twitter and getting mad despite having previously written the DCEU off as "That shitty Toxic place that's not Marvel" pretty much

Woke ideology is a lie though lol. One of the biggest lies going.
No. It doesn't show the woke crowd is hollow

It shows the woke crowd doesnt exist

The show 'pushed' nothing most other shows wouldn't push

You've made up an ideology that doesn't exist

Don't worry, we've know this for years and are just waiting for you to catch up

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
You mean other than the claims of an ex staff member who was willing to go public about it.
So, to be clear, I was asking for evidence before making a decision

I thought that was a good thing. Because you didn't provide this

So to be clear you're saying Ben Kuchera's kids weren't being abused and him or they are just misinterpreting what happened?
I dont know. You didnt provide enough information in your first to decide one way or the other

So Polygon and Vox media shouldn't be responsible for even trying to look into claims of child abuse being done by staff members using said position?
I don't know. You didnt provide enough information in your first post to decide one way or the other

That twitter thread didn't give me enough information to find out if this is do to with Vox or Polygon. I'm assuming its an employee problem but I pretty sure the thread didnt say anything like that

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Do we really have to say 'is not freedom from appropriate consequences'?

Because apparently we have to spoon feed you

I'll try to remember just for you so you dont get offended

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It doesn't need to be deep. "Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences" is a spectrum
Yes, and so are a million and one similar statements. Brevity is usually the enemy of precision, that's why every sentence of the Constitution has a ton of subsequent court cases and precedent establishing what they really mean. Implicitly, the statement is obviously "Freedom of speech is not freedom from [proportionate/legal] consequences". (Plus additional quibbling about what proportionate really is). Applying a sort of reductio ad absurdam to attack it just isn't very useful.

And there clearly is utility in it, because some people seem to think free speech means they can say what they like and no action against them should occur, such as being dropped by their platform or advertisers. That is clearly unreasonable, because it is in effect a constraint on the freedom of others.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Welcome to Woke World where Moviebob is still bitter about The Snydercut getting released and is now mad because the Snydercut people aren't working as a little army for "His side" to try and push to get the cancelled Batgirl film released even though also they're really just a load of bots because some variety article with very very poor research methodology told him so.

I lost much respect for Moviebob over the years but I don’t see what’s wrong with the argument.

A certain section of culture warriors all insisting that they’re just worried about creator rights and then loudly cheering when a soulless businessman trampled all over creators for a tax cut is indeed very suspect.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
A certain section of culture warriors all insisting that they’re just worried about creator rights and then loudly cheering when a soulless businessman trampled all over creators for a tax cut is indeed very suspect.
Oh, it's not just that. To view for instance the recent kerfuffle between Disney and Florida, they'll take down the soulless businessmen if they're not ideologically pure, too.