Funny Events of the "Woke" world

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Milk doesn't have to be bad for the environment, that's not inherent to milking cows.
As for many of these things, it's merely a matter of scale, overproduction and overconsumption, which makes it a real genuine global issue. That's why we should welcome trends that scale it back.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Kwak

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
How can you not understand how re-doing the same study with random numbers and getting the same results makes the original study literally pointless?
If that had happened, you might have had a point.

But it didn't.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
As for many of these things, it's merely a matter of scale, overproduction and overconsumption, which makes it a real genuine global issue. That's why we should welcome trends that scale it back.
We do overproduce milk and we don't need that much. Also, cows aren't nearly that much of an issue for the environment because they aren't actually adding more carbon to the environment.

If that had happened, you might have had a point.

But it didn't.
It did happen and the reason it happened is the exact reason why mathematicians said the math was done wrong, Dunning-Kruger is just noise.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
We do overproduce milk and we don't need that much. Also, cows aren't nearly that much of an issue for the environment because they aren't actually adding more carbon to the environment.
It's not about carbon, it's about methane.

Plus, it's also about deforestation.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Meat eating is a massive issue and need to be drastically cut down or way to massively increase production efficiency need to be found.
But the liberals will make us eat bugs!

As an aside, due to deregulation there's loads of insects in food (which isn't supposed to be bugs) in the US because the laws allow that. Cause freedom.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
But the liberals will make us eat bugs!

As an aside, due to deregulation there's loads of insects in food (which isn't supposed to be bugs) in the US because the laws allow that. Cause freedom.
I'd fine with eating bug if they found a way to separate the bug "meat" from the rest of it (exoskeleton, intestine and what's in them, various appendage). There are some research in using bug as animal/fish feedstock.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It did happen and the reason it happened is the exact reason why mathematicians said the math was done wrong, Dunning-Kruger is just noise.
The procedure involved asking people to self-evaluate.

How was that replicated without people to ask?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I'd fine with eating bug if they found a way to separate the bug "meat" from the rest of it (exoskeleton, intestine and what's in them, various appendage). There are some research in using bug as animal/fish feedstock.
This is easily the most confronting thing I've read all week

Reactions: Kwak

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
It's not about carbon, it's about methane.

Plus, it's also about deforestation.
It is about carbon, and methane has a short lifespan in the atmosphere, and it's not like there weren't tons of bison emitting methane on the same lands beforehand. Cows emitting carbon is circular; plants take in the carbon through CO2, cows eat said plants, cows emit methane that eventually breaks down into said CO2 that plants take in again. We're not losing forests in the US because of cows. Me eating/drinking less dairy/beef isn't going to change anything.

Cow produce about 15% of greenhouse gas emission.

Meat eating is a massive issue and need to be drastically cut down or way to massively increase production efficiency need to be found.
Meat eating isn't a massive issue.

You know its bad when even a drugged addled moron like Trump sees through the bullshit:
So you agree with Trump when he says something you like? Woke (either version) is such a basic word to define.

The procedure involved asking people to self-evaluate.

How was that replicated without people to ask?
How does they redid the study BUT WITH random numbers mean anything more than that says? Do you still think Dunning-Kruger is an actual thing still? I'm guessing you still do just so you don't have to agree with me.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So you agree with Trump when he says something you like? Woke (either version) is such a basic word to define.
Yeah? When was that even in question? That's the thing with basing your political views off of science, reason and evidence - it doesn't require a cult leader to define the "truth" or the "real world".
If Trump came out and said it was Friday, June 2nd, I would agree with him. If Trump came out and said WW2 ended in 1945, I would agree with him. If Trump came out and said the movie Twister was released in 1996, and stars late movie star Bill Baxton, best known for his rolls in Aliens, Apollo 11 and Twister, I would agree with him.
If Trump comes out and says Jewish ghosts from Cuba stole the 2020 election from him, I would disagree.

I have no problem squaring that circle, because liberals don't form cults around people and change their world views to fit that person's world view. I have an accurate world view, that Trump can and occasionally does, swing into with a correct statement.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Phoenix being a loud dunning kruger trying to convince everyone else dunning kruger doesn't exist is absolute gold, should've been a comedy script! 👌 And yeah awful ppl can be right sometimes, it's not difficult to agree with a point made by someone you don't like, it's called being a mature adult. Kids and teens are even capable of this!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Phoenix being a loud dunning kruger trying to convince everyone else dunning kruger doesn't exist is absolute gold, should've been a comedy script! 👌 And yeah awful ppl can be right sometimes, it's not difficult to agree with a point made by someone you don't like, it's called being a mature adult. Kids and teens are even capable of this!
And even if it was difficult, it's something we should do anyway, because the alternative isn't pretty.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
How does they redid the study BUT WITH random numbers mean anything more than that says?
So how did they redo the bit that involved asking people to self-evaluate?

Because of course if they didn't do that bit... then they didn't redo the study.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
It is about carbon, and methane has a short lifespan in the atmosphere, and it's not like there weren't tons of bison emitting methane on the same lands beforehand.
Methane is also many, many times more effective than carbon dioxide as a cause of global warming. In fact, because methane depletes quickly curbing methane emissions is the most important way of reducing the impact of global warming in the short term, as the effects would be felt within decades, while cutting CO2 emissions now will not actually have much impact for centuries.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So how did they redo the bit that involved asking people to self-evaluate?

Because of course if they didn't do that bit... then they didn't redo the study.
Do you not understand what "BUT WITH" means? Do you actually believe Dunning-Kruger is a thing? You always cut out the most important thing.

Methane is also many, many times more effective than carbon dioxide as a cause of global warming. In fact, because methane depletes quickly curbing methane emissions is the most important way of reducing the impact of global warming in the short term, as the effects would be felt within decades, while cutting CO2 emissions now will not actually have much impact for centuries.
If animals outputting methane is some massive issue, the earth would already have experienced environmental collapse long before we started burning fossil fuels. I'm guessing you watched Cowspiracy or something filled with very poor science.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
If animals outputting methane is some massive issue, the earth would already have experienced environmental collapse long before we started burning fossil fuels. I'm guessing you watched Cowspiracy or something filled with very poor science.
Its called Animal Husbandry, and as far as we can tell only us humans ever achieved it. Industrial production of animals, far beyond the numbers animals can achieve in the wild.
Take pigs for example. There are roughly 6 million wild pigs in the continental US: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/wild-hogs-swine-pigs-feral-us-disease-crops#:~:text=Today, around six million feral,thriving in nearly any environment.

However there are roughly 72 million farm pigs:

Now I may just be one of those egg-head liberals that reads and can do math, but I'm fairly sure 72 is higher number than 6. Almost as if the industrial production of an animal creates greater numbers of than animal than you would find in the wild.

As to the cowspiracy that cows contribute to global warming...yeah. Its real. 14.5% of global greenhouse gas emmisons comes from cow burps/farts:

But again, this is egg-head stuff by scientists and readers. Its not real world stuff, you know?

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
The issue is specifically ruminants, such as cattle. Most animals only produce a small ammount of methane in their intestines, which they fart out occasionally. Ruminants produce much, much larger quantities of methane in one of their stomachs, which they burp out continuously. Their shit also gives off a lot of methane as it decomposes.

Because of intensive farming, there are far, far more ruminants (especially cattle) in many areas than the ecosystem could naturally support. This also means they can't rely on grazing for food and need to be fed grain, which causes them to produce more methane.