Fur Thread! (No, not that kind... )

LtWigglesworth

Jan 4, 2012
So, after browsing the thread about the ethics of eating meat, I was interested in probing the community's feelings about the morality of fur.

I myself have no real problem with it as long as its produced in a humane manner and the animal is slaughtered in a humane manner. In that way it is morally no different than the raising of animals for food and leather. I can understand the opposition to cruel fur in Chinese fur farms etc. and fully support that opposition.

And for full disclosure, I have some fur items (antique mink and fur fox coats/stoles) that are family heirlooms, and have hunted possums for their fur ( in NZ they are also a noxious pest).

What are your thoughts?

Alternative

Jun 2, 2010
I misread the title as Fun Thread. Now i am disappointed.

I don't own any fur clothing, most if not all my clothes are made of synthetics but i don't have any opposition to the idea of wearing fur. However they should have a list of animals the fur is allowed to come from. That way there a endangered species isn't hunted to extinction for its fur, again.

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
Damn, I thought the title said "Fun Thread". Can we stop with all the killing animal threads? They are, and always will be, entirely opinion-based so what's the point of even discussing it? It's always going to devolve into an argument that only ends when people get too bored/disinterested to continue, until someone makes a new thread and the whole damn thing starts over again.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Well, first and foremost, I think fur clothes look rotten. That's just personal taste though.

Unless you're a proper fashion zealot, I don't see why faux-fur can't be used instead. I'd be lying if I said I felt strongly about it though.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Not a fan of fur clothing but not for any moral reasons...

It just looks odd to me.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
When I was young, I had a coat that was lined with some sort of fur. That was the softest, warmest coat I've ever owned. I was sad when I outgrew it. I felt the same about the sheepskin boots I got in Australia on holiday. I do love leather, though. Can't really be against fur if you wear leather, can you? Well, you can I guess, but it would be a bit hypocritical.

Aug 25, 2009
No real problems with it. I own several leather jackets so I'd be somewhat hypocrticial if I did.

And as the whole 'pleather' thing. I've owned a few. Terrible quality, terrible feeling, terrible look and style. It's going to be a long time before fake leather catches up with the real thing.

Plus that whole 'I wear shoes that aren't made out of hemp' thing. I don't think I've ever seen a pair of men's shoes not made from leather than really looked smart to me. Shoes made out of acrylics aren't shoes, they're wellingtons.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
Well, first and foremost, I think fur clothes look rotten. That's just personal taste though.

Unless you're a proper fashion zealot, I don't see why faux-fur can't be used instead. I'd be lying if I said I felt strongly about it though.
Pretty much ninja'd my entire train of thought.

I can understand (and would support) using the hides/fur of animals that are already being used for food, but when we have faux-fur that's nigh-on identical to real fur, killing animals just for the fur seems pretty wrong.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
There are various animals that need to be killed off. If you are going to take their skins afterwards, fine.

Apparently some people make coats out of cane toad leather, for example.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I don't like fur and I avoid it.

Personal choice really.
While I do eat meat, I can't really see the point in fur.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I did have a rabbit-skin Ushanka once, and ever since it became way too small for my blocky pumpkin for a head, I've been trying to find a new one. Fur is warm and comfortable, I can't argue with that. The best damn hat I've ever had, and it looked nice, to boot.

But it's a bit like meat. I don't think you have to quit using it outright, but you should use fur responsibly. You don't need an entire wardrobe of ferret coats or something, much like you don't need phat steaks every single dinner.
Also, it doesn't hurt making sure the company providing the fur in question is at least reasonably responsible. As long as you're not a Cruella DeVille look-a-like, I can't really say there's a problem.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
The only thing I have against fur is the people who wear it usually aren't respectable people.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Only fur of animals that can also be eaten (leather is ok, rabbit, ext).

Meat is justified because eating is essential to life and humans are naturally built to eat meat (as well as vegetables),
also when you kill a cow, the skin can be used and the bones can be (at the very least) fed to dogs.

There is no justification for killing an animal just for its pelt. You don't need the animal's fur to survive, you're not depriving yourself of anything, and we have non-animal alternatives for people who just like the look of fur. It's the same as killing for sport. If you don't eat what you kill, it's not right in my book.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Not really for or against just apathetic.
I don't see the point in it when there are better alternatives and without killing animals just for their fur.
It's just not very efficient or justified.
I'm just going of what I know though, which is pretty lacking.
As I said, apathetic.

Dragonclaw

Dec 24, 2007
I'm fine with it. Like others have said I'm usually sporting a leather jacket / shoes / belt not to mention that humans have been waering fur since the earliest days when we NEEDED that warmth for survival.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
MasochisticAvenger said:
Damn, I thought the title said "Fun Thread". Can we stop with all the killing animal threads? They are, and always will be, entirely opinion-based so what's the point of even discussing it?
Well, by that logic, what's the point of discussing anything? If you're going to dismiss a subject because opinions are being brought to the table, you're not going to have a lot to talk about.

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
SonicWaffle said:
MasochisticAvenger said:
Damn, I thought the title said "Fun Thread". Can we stop with all the killing animal threads? They are, and always will be, entirely opinion-based so what's the point of even discussing it?
Well, by that logic, what's the point of discussing anything? If you're going to dismiss a subject because opinions are being brought to the table, you're not going to have a lot to talk about.
I think you might have accidentally missed half of what I said there. .

MasochisticAvenger said:
It's always going to devolve into an argument that only ends when people get too bored/disinterested to continue, until someone makes a new thread and the whole damn thing starts over again.
To clarify: threads of whether it's alright to kill animals to the sake of X have been done to death. They are entirely opinion-based, so there is really no reason to keep bringing it up again and again.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Now a fur lined capes I can get behind, but I'd only wear one if I'd shot the ocelot myself.
Shot? You don't deserve a cape. A real man would wrestle the animal down and bite out its throat, before eating the heart to gain its power. Then you'd deserve your cape!