Furby Movie Announced - No joke, Just Sadness

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Hawki said:
...because it's impossible to create a successful movie based on toys, right? Remember how Toy Story and The Lego Movie were terrible?

Yes, that's sarcasm. Because while there's nothing to guarantee the movie will be good, I don't see anything wrong in the concept. Not original, but, what, it's okay to make adaptations of some material and not others?

Toy Story is less about toys and more about being a toy and what that role means in the broader life of the human being that owns them. The Lego movie was a lot of things but frankly since the driving motto of the toy itself is 'If you can imagine it, you can build it' I'm inclined to give it a pass.

Furby has neither the heart and soul of the former nor the drive to stimulate the imagination of the latter. So unless the writer's pull something utterly fucking brilliant out of their arse then I feel it's safe to consign Furby the Movie to the pile of inoffensive but baffling attempts at brand revitalization.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gordon_4 said:
Hawki said:
...because it's impossible to create a successful movie based on toys, right? Remember how Toy Story and The Lego Movie were terrible?

Yes, that's sarcasm. Because while there's nothing to guarantee the movie will be good, I don't see anything wrong in the concept. Not original, but, what, it's okay to make adaptations of some material and not others?

Toy Story is less about toys and more about being a toy and what that role means in the broader life of the human being that owns them. The Lego movie was a lot of things but frankly since the driving motto of the toy itself is 'If you can imagine it, you can build it' I'm inclined to give it a pass.

Furby has neither the heart and soul of the former nor the drive to stimulate the imagination of the latter. So unless the writer's pull something utterly fucking brilliant out of their arse then I feel it's safe to consign Furby the Movie to the pile of inoffensive but baffling attempts at brand revitalization.
^Exactly. All of the Toy Story movies and the Lego Movie had heart and effort put in to them. This just looks like another crappy cash grab. Remember the Angry Birds movie? Me, neither, because it was just another lazy loud CGI movie to entertain the little tykes for 90 minutes, and torture anyone above the age of 10. I hated Furbies back then, and that has not changed presently at all.

Mar 30, 2010
A film based on Furbys? So it'll be 80 mins of kids trying to teach the creepy little bastards every swear-word they can think of before their little sister comes home from school? Gotcha.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Marik2 said:
Dragonbums said:
Y'know what.

Emojis are getting a movie. So let Hasbro do whatever they want. At least they aren't making movies out of internet fads like Pepe and Long cat.
They probably will now that you've said it.
After posting this I just now remembered that they did have a movie a out Grumpy Cat. Granted it was never released in theaters and was a television movie. I guess it was pretty okay seeing as how it drummed up no talk about how garbage it was.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
What does it say that this is actually the least offensive concept Hollywood has shoved out in recent memory? This actually makes sense on some level.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Why? Those haven't been a thing for like 20 years. Who are they trying to pander to? What audience is this meant to appeal to?

Vanished

Jul 5, 2014
Crossing fingers for a Critters reboot and furbies turn out to be some kind of hybrid species that evolved.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I actually think that Furby has some potential for a half decent film... but I'm not going to hold my breathe that this will happen. I'm kind of hoping for a Gremlins plot but it's more likely to be an E.T. or maybe a smurfs style narrative.

... also is Furby still a thing? I thoght that it had it's time in the late 90s. I suppose they get some tickets sold by young parents who want their children to like the same shit that they did.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Marter said:
Whatever, movie industry. Keeping giving us toy advertisements dressed up as films.
Honestly, that was the 80's cartoon business in a nutshell, wasn't it?

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
If i remember right, the forbies toys were a tamagochi with fur and kinda a demonstration of cheap "learning AI". Never saw one outside a package, but the commercials said it could see and hear, and recognizes reoccurring things.

What if they make a Johnny 5 story or a Asimov plot.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I don't know what you're all complaining about, Furbys are sexy.

Well, at least it's not being made by a company I respect. Fuck 'em right off and movin' along...

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Ok Hollywood it's time to get off the drugs man, you are scaring me.

Hopefully someone gets wise and pulls the plug on this one.