Futurama

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
As I'm sure most of you know, Futurama is back with new episodes on Comedy Central. So far the first 2 episodes have been released. "Rebirth" and "In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela". So far from what I have seen, the reaction has been mixed from what i've seen. I was wondering what people here on the escapist thought of the new season so far.

I feel that rebirth was a shaky start for the new season. I can't really put my finger on why, but the jokes in this ne seemed to be quite stale. The only parts that I really laughed out loud at were when Bender sang "Coma-coma-coma-chameleon", and the reveal of Fry being a robot. The second episode was much better. While there were some unfunny jokes (like any joke on the name V-Giny) there were some real gems in there. The moment when Leela finds out exactly what Zapp has done ranks up there as one of my favorite scenes in any futurama episode EVER. While it isn't good enough to be one of the best episodes. It's certainly better than many episodes in the first 4 or 5 (depending on if you count by production or brodcast) seasons.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I liked the Rebirth episode, not a fan of the I-A-G-D-L episode. The thing that worries me about futurama is the second episode seemed very old hat. Take away the whole Fry and Leela love dialogue and the episode essentially fits almost anywhere in the series. The most interesting episodes to me are the ones that in someway continue the barebones story of these characters. While the episodes between story ones can be fantastic and obscenely funny they are part of the reason why Futurama got canceled in the first place. There are a lot of cartoons out there that are in the same vein of humor and futurama needs to somehow be unique to make people choose it over many like it.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
well in holland futurama has onnly been around for almost half a year. so i guess i have good stuff coming my way.

good thing i only watch tv at night.

Anon_Amarth

Nov 20, 2009
I was unaware that the new episodes had begun to air, I will now correct this. Thank you Sutter Cane for bringing this to my attention.

razbuten363

Jun 23, 2009
They're alright I think its going to be a few more episodes (maybe a few that aren't abou fry and leela) before I develop a solid view of the new episodes.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Not bad, but could be better. Both were rather similar in theme, so I hope for a bit more variety. Still, Thursdays have gotten a whole lot less crappy...

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
I'm defidently in favor of these new episodes

Especially Zap's victory Yodel as they crashed into the sidewalk &
The Proffessor's safety sphere having air conditioning,

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Strange, I thought the first episode was better. At least I liked the story more.

But I don't like how they screw with their character's motivations. Fry always loved Leela but never got a chance... now they are the perfect couple. To say it with the words of a one-eyed space captain "ooooh how schweeet".
Not to forget episode two's ending. Wtf? They had sex once and she regreted it and didn't miss a chance to punch him (plus he just lied to her about pretty much everything) but suddenly she can "take one for the team"? Really, that ending sucked lobster balls.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
I found the two episodes to be better than the 4 mini films they made so that's good. Give them time to get into groove before judging 3rd go around for the series (1st run, 4 DVD films, and now reboot).

For me the Professor stole these episodes with he great lines.

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
The first one made me smile a bit, but I didn't laugh. The second one had a few moments that made me laugh a little, but the lame stuff like V-Giny were just way too desperate to be funny for me.

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
It's not amazing, but when in Futurama have the first 2 episodes of a season been it's best? Yeah, that's what I thought. Again, not really For-the-Ages episodes, but they stuck the landing. I'm looking forward to the new season.

Freakmonkey9

Aug 28, 2008
I thought they were pretty entertaining, of course they're not as funny as the older episodes but I never expected them to be. The DVD movies pretty much painted my expectations for the show from now on, that being pretty much a funnier version of the Simpsons today, I'm not really laughing my ass off but I get some chuckles here and there in every episode.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
I really liked both episodes, especially the second one. I don't why some people are complaining, Futurama is back! Just enjoy it! My hope is that the people who make the show don't get complacent and think that they churn out whatever they want just because they got back on the air (like Family Guy).

Anyway, Futurama is back! Do the back dance, do the back dance! Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be in the Chamber of Understanding.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
The thing that I find most odd is the fact that on the imdb futurama board, people who were dissapointed by the first 2 episodes are ready to discount the entire new season, and some even saying they wish it would have stayed cancelled. I just don't understand why some people are so quick to judge.