Future Adam Sandler Movies Will Go Direct to Netflix

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Future Adam Sandler Movies Will Go Direct to Netflix

Comedy star and Happy Madison will produce four features exclusive to the streaming giant

It remains to be seen whether his upcoming big-budget video-game comedy comedy superstar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134174-Adam-Sandlers-Pixels-to-Begin-Shooting-Will-Hit-in-2015] isn't waiting around to find out: He's getting into the streaming scene.

Sandler and his Happy Madison production company has inked an exclusive deal with Netflix to bring four new films (presumably comedies), all starring Sandler himself, to the streaming service - bypassing theatrical release altogether. The announcement comes within days on of Netflix announcing plans to make it's first theatrically-distributed production, the sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, available to stream the same day it was set to premiere in theaters, a move that has ignited a firestorm of controversy [http://deadline.com/2014/09/amc-entertainment-theaters-oppose-crouching-tiger-imax-richard-gelfond-843682/] and boycotts from major theater chains.

The four Netflix exclusives will be original productions, unrelated to any of Sandler's currently in-production theatrical releases. Along with Pixels, he also has the indie feature The Cobbler [http://deadline.com/2014/09/adam-sandler-the-cobbler-toronto-832153/] - about a shoe-repairman who discovers that using vintage, possibly-enchanted sewing machines causes him to become the people whose shoes he fixes - coming next year.

In a statement, Sandler explained:

"When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said yes for one reason and one reason only: Netflix rhymes with 'wet chicks.' Let the streaming begin!"

Source: Deadline Hollywood [http://deadline.com/2014/10/adam-sandler-netflix-four-films-844591/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
what the fuck is that image?

is it real?

no really what the fuck?

EDIT: also parently a lot of happy madison films were terrible...I only ever remember Bench Warmers but...well that's enough for me (blegh)

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Oh man time for them to break out awesome-o. If I remember correctly he was good at predicting these things.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Vault101 said:
what the fuck is that image?

is it real?

no really what the fuck?

EDIT: also parently a lot of happy madison films were terrible...I only ever remember Bench Warmers but...well that's enough for me (blegh)
The image is from the movie "Funny People," in which Sandler plays a comedian that once played a part in a movie in which he was a "merman," the image displayed in the article is the poster from said fictional movie.

"Do the Merman call! DO THE MERMAN CALL!"

Anyways, a lot of Sandler's recent movies have been pretty bad misses, hopefully he'll pick back up soon. Or not, whatever, I don't have access to Netflix so it really doesn't matter to me how good or bad the movies turn out in the end.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I kind of just feel sorry that netflix alone has to bear the burden of hosting whatever shit he squeezes out.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The only place future Adam Sandler movies should go directly to is the incinerator...

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Jandau said:
The only place future Adam Sandler movies should go directly to is the incinerator...
I was planning on doing a monopoly reference, but I think yours is a little more apt.

though I do think that he at least showed he had some range in "50 first-dates" beyond 'watch someone in this scene do something stupid then laugh on command sheep'

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
On the bright side, hopefully this will mean his shitty 'family movies' will no longer be stealing box office sales from legit decent films. On the other hand, this does mean he's still making movies...

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Jandau said:
Funny People is genuinely good and he's pretty awesome in it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Jandau said:
Well, maybe Netflix has one of those.

Also, obligatory snarky comment about how his next movies won't meet the definition of "comedies".

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
This is absolutely fine with me. It'll make it that much easier to avoid Adam Sandler 'movies' when I go to the cinema...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Straight to Netflix? You mean I don't have to sit through his godawful previews whenever I go to the movies?

PRAISE JESUS!

...Any chance this could be made permanent?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
So the con-artist manages to swindle another group for money?
Oh wait that was a bit slanderous...I mean thieving con-artist. Anyone who has any offense to this statement, look up some info on Jack and Jill. Or just look up Red Letter Medias coverage of the 'movie'

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Great, this makes the idiot even easier to avoid, I don't have Netflix, so I'll never encounter these movies.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Straight to Netflix, and on Netflix straight to my "not interested" bin.
How is this guy still allowed to make movies? They are not funny, he is not funny.
It's just beyond me.

I've never been able to understand American comedy.
People I actively avoid are: Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler, Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, Eddie Murphy and Woody Allen.
I cannot stand any of them.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Misleading title much? He's signed a limited exclusivity deal, it's not like it's even close to being permanent or the new status quo. Not exactly what the absolute title would suggest now, is it?

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
adam sandler has never made a good film since Happy Gilmore ever since then his films have been directed at under 5's

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
"Netflix rhymes with Wet Chicks" has got to be the most unfunny thing I've heard in my entire life.

Which about sums up my feelings on Sandler.