Future Weapons: ?Wait a minute, this is the future. Where are all the phaser guns?? ? Simon Phoenix

Jack Action

Not a premium member.
Sep 6, 2014
Nimzabaat said:
Hmm, let's see.

First, I had no idea the project was cancelled (nor that it doesn't actually melt through missile hulls); I blame Discovery dropping everything good from its lineup for this.

Second, that's interesting, if true. Look forward to seeing it put into practice, but it... well, doesn't have much to do with that aircraft, because it doesn't store energy in lithium-ion batteries. It had a weird and hideously complex system of chemical tanks taking up the vast majority of the plane, which produced at least part of the power needed for the laser, that much I remember.

Third... I don't think that's because of the idea that we could never figure them out. More because bullets are perfectly fine for the job, and directed energy weapons would be by definition hideously complex. Why would any military invest in portable lasers when they could invest in much simpler railguns [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d3/Railgun_usnavy_2008.jpg/1280px-Railgun_usnavy_2008.jpg]? They're already in the prototype stage, though I doubt the US Navy's going to find materials strong enough to make them useful by 2016.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
For the record, the reasoning for bigger Phasers in Star Trek was because they could carry larger capacitors (and therefore fire more powerfully and more often), and because pistol Phasers had a terrible accurate range, not to mention the appearance of personal shield generators beginning in TNG. Your handheld Phasers were essentially PDWs for away teams on exploration missions. For fighting a battle, you'd want your good old Phaser Rifle. Not to mention that Phasers weren't nearly the most power ST technology. I'd take a Klingon Disruptor or Romulan Plasma weapons over a Federation Phaser any day of the week.

Now, as for other Sci-fi weapons:

Xenonauts had an interesting idea with tech progression, where you go from ballistic weapons to lazors to plasma and then... back to ballistics? MAG weapons (Magnetic Acceleration Gun) are your standard Sci-Fi railguns, but done right. They are on the very edge of practicality, to the point where the technology to create faster, more powerful MAG guns would actually be detrimental because the rounds would be traveling so fast it would ignite the atmosphere where the round traveled, most likely killing the soldier operating the weapon. Plasma is nice and all, but the problem is that Lasers scorch, and Plasma melts, and both of those take a lot longer than simply punching your way through whatever barrier is in your way. The theory is that while Plasma is dangerous, there isn't much that can withstand an impact from ANYTHING moving at speeds upwards of Mach 5. Rounds travel faster than Plasma, don't dissipate at range, penetrate armor better, and faster, and do more damage than Plasma or Laser weapons could ever hope to.

EVE Online has an interesting take on Sci-Fi weapons, in that most of their archetypes exist. Each has their niches - Amarr lasers do low damage, but have insane range; Caldari railguns have longer range than Gallente Ion Cannons, but do less damage. They do, however, have the second-longest range and higher damage than the Amarr lasers. Gallente Ion Cannons are space shotguns. High damage, but short effective range. The Minmatar are the sole possessors of true projectile weapons. Machineguns have amazing tracking speed and work wonders for shooting down smaller ships and drones - Low damage, and shorter range, but fire very fast. Think along the lines of actual AA guns. But how do they do their damage? Arty. Minmatar Artillery is designed to hit something and then explode in a very big way. They need EM shells to take down shields, but once the shields are gone, they absolutely wreck structures. It's a callback to the way naval Battleships used to work. Then there's missiles, but missiles always exist in Sci-Fi and EVE doesn't really do them differently.

That's all I got for now.

Kailow Krow

Mar 24, 2011
I want to be a fucking gundam pilot.
Pardon my french but where the hell are all the giant robots at?!
Transformers the movie takes place in the far flung future of 2005!! (if I could type numbers in caps believe me I would love to.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
thaluikhain said:
That is one of the many things I love about The Dresden Files. The main character is a wizard and magic is his go to weapon for when he wants to kick arse but he also has a 44. Magnum in his pocket. Hell one of his best friends and goto arse kicking helpers, who is just a plain old mortal, carrys around a P90 and any number of other guns that let her go toe to toe with alot of magical bad guys.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Jack T. Pumpkin said:
Nimzabaat said:
Hmm, let's see.

First, I had no idea the project was cancelled (nor that it doesn't actually melt through missile hulls); I blame Discovery dropping everything good from its lineup for this.

Second, that's interesting, if true. Look forward to seeing it put into practice, but it... well, doesn't have much to do with that aircraft, because it doesn't store energy in lithium-ion batteries. It had a weird and hideously complex system of chemical tanks taking up the vast majority of the plane, which produced at least part of the power needed for the laser, that much I remember.

Third... I don't think that's because of the idea that we could never figure them out. More because bullets are perfectly fine for the job, and directed energy weapons would be by definition hideously complex. Why would any military invest in portable lasers when they could invest in much simpler railguns [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d3/Railgun_usnavy_2008.jpg/1280px-Railgun_usnavy_2008.jpg]? They're already in the prototype stage, though I doubt the US Navy's going to find materials strong enough to make them useful by 2016.
Fair enough. It did feel like we trended away from energy weapons in our fiction for a bit.

You did remind me of something though; Elysium, where the ground inhabitants modified existing weapons with more advanced ammunition and add-ons. That was a great movie for future weapons but there was a sad trend of using each one only once.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
thaluikhain said:
On a similar note, why does your Harry Potter or Twilight rip off Urban Fantasy series not have guns? Especially when it's invariably set in the US, where even people not charged with defending the world from monsters often are armed. If magic stops gunpowder working, fine, nobody uses gunpowder these days anyway, there are new propellants. If no propellants work, fine, people can make quite decent air guns, it's just firearms are better for most mortals. If airguns don't work, fine, flamethrowers are a good bet.
Most of the urban fantasy I've read/seen has guns. If anything Harry Potter is somewhat unique in that it doesn't. They don't always *work*, but they're there.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
This is obviously the weapon of the future:

And i off course meant the bench which manages to stop so many bullets so easily.

Jack Action

Not a premium member.
Sep 6, 2014
Nimzabaat said:
You did remind me of something though; Elysium, where the ground inhabitants modified existing weapons with more advanced ammunition and add-ons. That was a great movie for future weapons but there was a sad trend of using each one only once.
Eugh, that movie made me cringe so much. Partially because of that railgun (its spikes had enough force to shred walls like paper and leave plasma trails, but the very unarmored people around the weapon were unharmed? what?) near the end, partially because of the exoskeleton designs, partially because of the heavy-handed overly political message, partially because of Wikus' magic shield, and last but not least because of the way those awesome gold-plated droids were reduced to scrap.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
Keep in mind, this depends entirely on the type of sci-fi you're talking about too. In a more realistic sort of setting, you're generally going to see less personal energy weapons. The main issue is power generation. The power needed to create a laser strong enough to pierce through even standard infantry body armor is huge. Being able to scale that down into a man-portable weapon is likely going to be a huge task as well, to the point where you have to ask the question "Would a kinetic projectile-based weapon (guns) be better for the size?" I think, by and large, the answer to that is going to be yes. Now, when it comes to vehicle mounted weapons and starship weapons, it becomes a whole different ballgame, since they have can produce energy to power their weapons much more easily than an infantryman.

If you want to see some truly scary futuristic slug-throwers, I'd direct you to the Honor Harrington book series. That series takes place roughly 2000 years in the future, in a time where anti-gravity technology is about as commonplace as an ipod is today. The firearm of choice in that setting is the "pulser", which uses a gravity catapult to fire darts (usually 2-4mm in diameter) at over twice the muzzle velocity of modern guns, and at a rate of fire that would make a vulcan cannon blush. The standard dart is enough to all but rip your arm off if you take a hit anywhere in it, and there are also explosive-tipped versions as well.

Starships within the setting are a whole different things. Modern lasers and grasers (gamma-ray lasers) are basically enough to instantly kill or cripple any starship that they hit. Energy engagements tend to be quick and extremely decisive. Energy weapons are, however, usually considered last-ditch weapons, since they are so short-ranged (usually between a 1 and 3 light-second range, or about 300,000-1 million kilometers) you can really only hit anything with them if both ships charge into knife-fighting distance. Most ship to ship engagements are settled by long-range missile vollies, launched across several million kilometers. Decoys and electronic warfare (to distract and disrupt incoming missiles) and point defense weapons (to destroy the ones your ewar can't shake off) are the primary defenses of a starship.

Makes for an interesting dynamic, I think. It's much more like modern naval combat (over the horizon strikes with cruise missiles) than the close-ranged WWII in space that a lot of sci-fi tends to be.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well I always did like that gun that the villain used to sell to those alien in the Fifth Element. It started as a pod thing but then he show off its application.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
If you want devastating future weapons, look no further than the Revelation Space books by Alastair Reynolds. From handheld Ack-Ams and bosers that fire antimatter pellets and Bose-Einstein condensate matter respectively via relativistic neutronium railguns and gamma ray lasers to hypometric weapons that rip holes in spacetime. And let's not talk about the 'Cache Weapons'...

Also, the main ship in the books features the 'Warchive', basically a replicator for every weapon ever made by man. And if it doesn't have what you want, it's very capable of inventing something nasty just for you.

Jan 18, 2012
I'll just point to the Ratchet and Clank series, Up Your Arsenal in particular, and say "Pretty much all of those" (except the Holoshield Glove, totally useless). You've go sci-fi versions of the shotgun, grenade launcher, machine gun, etc but these can be made into more powerful with use. The Shock Cannon can charge up to a room clearing beam of lightning, the Devastator fire a rocket that explodes into smaller heat seekers, and let us not forget the all powerful R.Y.N.O.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
rcs619 said:
Nimzabaat said:
Keep in mind, this depends entirely on the type of sci-fi you're talking about too. In a more realistic sort of setting, you're generally going to see less personal energy weapons. The main issue is power generation. The power needed to create a laser strong enough to pierce through even standard infantry body armor is huge. Being able to scale that down into a man-portable weapon is likely going to be a huge task as well, to the point where you have to ask the question "Would a kinetic projectile-based weapon (guns) be better for the size?" I think, by and large, the answer to that is going to be yes. Now, when it comes to vehicle mounted weapons and starship weapons, it becomes a whole different ballgame, since they have can produce energy to power their weapons much more easily than an infantryman.

If you want to see some truly scary futuristic slug-throwers, I'd direct you to the Honor Harrington book series. That series takes place roughly 2000 years in the future, in a time where anti-gravity technology is about as commonplace as an ipod is today. The firearm of choice in that setting is the "pulser", which uses a gravity catapult to fire darts (usually 2-4mm in diameter) at over twice the muzzle velocity of modern guns, and at a rate of fire that would make a vulcan cannon blush. The standard dart is enough to all but rip your arm off if you take a hit anywhere in it, and there are also explosive-tipped versions as well.

Starships within the setting are a whole different things. Modern lasers and grasers (gamma-ray lasers) are basically enough to instantly kill or cripple any starship that they hit. Energy engagements tend to be quick and extremely decisive. Energy weapons are, however, usually considered last-ditch weapons, since they are so short-ranged (usually between a 1 and 3 light-second range, or about 300,000-1 million kilometers) you can really only hit anything with them if both ships charge into knife-fighting distance. Most ship to ship engagements are settled by long-range missile vollies, launched across several million kilometers. Decoys and electronic warfare (to distract and disrupt incoming missiles) and point defense weapons (to destroy the ones your ewar can't shake off) are the primary defenses of a starship.

Makes for an interesting dynamic, I think. It's much more like modern naval combat (over the horizon strikes with cruise missiles) than the close-ranged WWII in space that a lot of sci-fi tends to be.
Thanks very much for the recommendation, i'll have to check that out.

I like the electronic warfare idea because it only takes a couple of lines of exposition to explain why things are the way they are. Why have ships that have to get into visual range to engage? Because the enemy has countermeasures that interfere with everything else, that's why.

Another series that had some interesting weaponry ideas was Dune. People had to go back to knives and sub-sonic ammunition because personal shields were everywhere.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Nimzabaat said:
(I normally don?t count Enterprise because it was outside of the Star Trek continuity)
This may be a small nitpick, but no it wasn't.

Then, well, they weren?t phallic enough so they had to make them bigger for? reasons. The larger phasers did not seem to do anything better than the smaller ones, nobody ever had to reload/recharge but people could not get behind a weapon that small.
Of course you're kidding a bit here, but the reason for the larger phasers was because the Type 1 phasers didn't read well on screen due to their small size. In continuity the larger phasers also had the benefits of being more powerful and having more settings. I'd imagine they're also (shitty design not withstanding) a bit easier to aim.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Always kinda liked the Necron Gauss Flayer. Every shot from that thing tears away its victim at the molecular level leaving nothing behind. Is the thing practical, probably not but damned if it ain't good for terrorizing mooks.

Guns from Mass Effect are kinda cool in concept, shooting small bits of a dense metal block at supersonic speeds...at least in the first game.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Nimzabaat said:
I have been playing Destiny and one thing that I find a little disappointing is the weaponry. A lot of Science Fiction films and games have weapons that are only as dangerous as the ones we have now. As such, I felt like talking about that for a bit.

Disclaimer: I liked most of these movies, I am only interested in pointing out that we need to be a bit more creative with our science fiction weaponry. Also, these are only my opinions and they may not align with yours.

Some Bad

Star Wars: Blasters in Star Wars turn out to be as effective as the projectile firearms we use, not even today, but at the time the film was made. They are actually less effective because every weapon fires the equivalent of tracer ammunition and tracers point both ways. Princess Leia is shown getting shot in the shoulder and it is only a minor injury. Lightsabers are pretty cool but, since Jedi seem to be awful at multi-tasking, a fully automatic weapon or area of effect is all you need. It is terribly convenient that nobody uses those in Star Wars. Don't even get me started on Stormtrooper armor, though I once had an idea of re-writing Star Wars and making the white Stormtrooper armor refractive so only a direct hit in a black area would hurt them.

Starship Troopers (the movies): Once again, it is the future and mankind has failed to come up with anything better than we have today. In fact they have lost a lot of technology we have like; mines, tanks, APCs, grenades, though they did get small nuclear weapons... which they should have used more often. I still think the book would have made an awesome movie though.

Some Good

Star Trek, TNG, DS9, Voyager (I normally don?t count Enterprise because it was outside of the Star Trek continuity): When Star Trek TNG debuted, they had phasers that fit in the palm of your hand and could do anything from stunning a single target to blowing the top off a mountain. Now that is a futuristic weapon! Then, well, they weren?t phallic enough so they had to make them bigger for? reasons. The larger phasers did not seem to do anything better than the smaller ones, nobody ever had to reload/recharge but people could not get behind a weapon that small. Anyways phasers are awesome and the only reason you would have to shoot someone twice is if you failed to set it properly.

District 9: When I think of futuristic weapons, I think of over-the-top damage. The ARC gun from District 9 is a great example of that. Only one person is ever shown getting wounded by this weapon and he loses his whole arm. It is just a flesh wound, but it is a lot of flesh. The Repeater shown in the movie is more like a standard firearm, but once again the damage seems to be much higher than most portable weapons that we have. Then there?s the magnetic/gravity weapon that can stop bullets and fire them back at people.

Men In Black: Two words: Noisy Cricket.

Aliens: The M41A Pulse Rifle is interesting because the firearms technology is basically the same as it is today, however the ammunition has advanced. The weapon uses 10mm explosive tipped caseless ammunition (unless you watch very carefully, but that is more of a prop issue). Now the M41A barely makes it in here because we have caseless ammunition technology and explosive rounds today. The smart guns used by Vasquez and Drake were pretty cool because they were set up on a steadicam rig with a smart targeting system. They never showed what any of the ammunition would do to a human, but the Xenomorphs are considerably more resilient and they exploded.

A Bit of Both

Guardians of the Galaxy: Guardians fits into both categories because some of the weapons were just like weapons we have now: A taser that works at a distance, numerous bladed weapons, mounted canons that appear to do less damage than a .50 caliber bullet (the Milano?s guns seemed to be pretty awesome until they showed them taking out the Sakaaran troops with them) and lastly the Hadron Enforcer that was basically a rocket launcher. On the other hand, the sentient arrow that Yondu used was pretty interesting (it even provided plot armor! well, plot stun-lock).

Predator/Predator 2/Predators: The Predators plasma caster fits into the bad category. It looks bad ass, and the three dot laser sight is iconic, but it is about as dangerous as a 7.62 mm bullet. It takes two to kill Blaine and Dutch shakes one off. It is also slow as molasses compared to, well, arrows even. Some other notable mentions are the collapsible spear (ooh look a spear!), the wrist claws (it takes the impact away from your wrist joint). Then again, in Predator 2 they had my favorite, the Smart Disc. That little disc weapon cut through a bunch of frozen cow carcasses and Gary Busey like they were nothing. It also seemed in tune with its users mental state and reacted accordingly, which was an interesting touch.

TLDR: What are some of your favorite/least favorite science fiction weapons? Do you have any ideas for some that you would like to share?
Some of this is conceptual.

1. In Star Wars it should be noted that it's a galaxy where there is no real free will, only the illusion of it. The Force controls everything and pretty much guides the universe through cycles of good and evil, with a period of balance in between. Star Wars is the story of an era of light coming to an end, and darkness taking over, but between which there will be balance. The central conceit of the story is that the prophecy explaining this is not understood properly, the Jedi believe Anakin will "restore balance" by bringing peace and order to the galaxy in the face of the new threats, not realizing that with good controlling everything and a nearly utopian civilization where they don't have serious militaries, the only place to go is down. The Emperor thinks "balance" means that it's time for the Dark Side to return, and it's not, this is the period of balance. Hence why at the end of the story Anakin has both destroyed the Jedi order AND he kills The Emperor (everyone is dead, balance achieved). All of the story and emotional stuff is just a way of getting to the bottom line of what was meant to be.

Now, the thing to understand about Star Wars is these cycles mean that things remain stagnant, basically one apocalypse or another eradicates everything, and thus by the time new tech is being developed it's time for everything to be wiped out again. Excepting a few super weapons that get left behind in various sources (mostly non-canon but technically possible if The Force wanted them to remain for it's narrative later) and can be uncovered, everything remains more or less the same. The Force doesn't want to destroy everything so the weapons remain fairly limited in scale, and things like space fighters are on the same basic level even after thousands of years because of this.... I could get into more about it, but the bottom line is that this is a work of "space fantasy" and was based on some eastern concepts of how the universe works (loosely) from things I've read over the years. Basically it's working as intended. The technology is this way because that's how a metaphysical force has arranged things to be.

2. With Predator part of the concept (as it's been elaborated on) is that they are hunters and as such while they carry weapons that are better than their prey, they limit what they can use so their prey has a chance, because otherwise there is no honor in the hunt. In theory the Predators had the tech where they could have wiped out the heroes in any of the stories, or heck, as a race just flat out eradicated earth, but that isn't what they do. When you go into the various side-souces outside of the movies you run into things like primitive tribesman having predator heads on their shields or whatever, the reason being is that if The Predators are going to fight a bunch of dudes armed with spears they are going to bring very limited tech with them. They like to come to earth because humans are challenging. Even in the movies this is implied when a Predator left behind an archaic gun before leaving... the point more or less being that such was a trophy and I believe something from someone else who had beaten them... meaning that for all of Danny Glover's antics, apparently someone took out Predators with a wheel lock at some point.

In the old "Aliens Vs. Predator" comics (long before the movies) and the novels spun off of them they further elaborate on some of these concepts, by the time of "Aliens" humans are advanced enough to no longer be considered prey, but the Predators aren't exactly social. They seed a colony world with Aliens for a hunt, only to find the human colony which was a big "ooops", at which point there is a mutiny on the ship based on whether to have the hunt anyway and cover it up, or do the right thing and take responsibility, their ship being destroyed (by a drunk with a hover bike if I remember) brings things to a hilt, and you wind up with a three way between the last remaining "good" predator and a rather tough corporate girl, the mutinous predators and the aliens. Later on that girl winds is marked as a warrior by the Predators and in the novels visits their home world if I remember.

It should be noted this is in part what makes some of the games viable, by this point the marines and such are very much an effective force by the Predator's standards. Albeit in the stuff I mentioned above the Predators only ran into civilians, they never fought the Marines, and I believe that was explained later as being a big part of the problem (ie if it's found out what happened to the colony, the humans would become suspicious, and then go looking for the Predators who want to remain relatively anonymous and not get into a war... and it would apparently be a war).

I have to run I can answer a few of this later if I remember as I think a couple more can be explained. One last one quickly is the "Starship Troopers" movies are nothing like the books, in the book they use Massively powerful powered armor, and the odds are entirely different (one trooper can easily take out hundreds of bugs... but there are lots and lots of them, not to mention the bugs have servant races if I remember).

Jack Action

Not a premium member.
Sep 6, 2014
Therumancer said:
1. In Star Wars it should be noted that it's a galaxy where there is no real free will, only the illusion of it. The Force controls everything and pretty much guides the universe through cycles of good and evil, with a period of balance in between. Star Wars is the story of an era of light coming to an end, and darkness taking over, but between which there will be balance. The central conceit of the story is that the prophecy explaining this is not understood properly, the Jedi believe Anakin will "restore balance" by bringing peace and order to the galaxy in the face of the new threats, not realizing that with good controlling everything and a nearly utopian civilization where they don't have serious militaries, the only place to go is down. The Emperor thinks "balance" means that it's time for the Dark Side to return, and it's not, this is the period of balance. Hence why at the end of the story Anakin has both destroyed the Jedi order AND he kills The Emperor (everyone is dead, balance achieved). All of the story and emotional stuff is just a way of getting to the bottom line of what was meant to be.
I remember someone liking to Lucas confirming that Anakin destroying the Sith at the end of RotJ was what brought balance to the Force, not him destroying both the Jedi and Sith. And, by extension, shattering the last bit of logic left in that universe.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
Thanks very much for the recommendation, i'll have to check that out.

I like the electronic warfare idea because it only takes a couple of lines of exposition to explain why things are the way they are. Why have ships that have to get into visual range to engage? Because the enemy has countermeasures that interfere with everything else, that's why.

Another series that had some interesting weaponry ideas was Dune. People had to go back to knives and sub-sonic ammunition because personal shields were everywhere.
The first two books in the series are actually up in full, for free, on the publisher's website. I'd really recommend at least given it a chance through the second book. That's where the series really begins to hit its full stride.
http://www.baenebooks.com/10.1125/Baen/0743435710/0743435710.htm?blurb The first book
http://www.baenebooks.com/10.1125/Baen/0743435729/0743435729.htm?blurb The second book (still one of my faves in the series)

I'd say the Honorverse ships' ewar is more on the lines of advanced cyber-warfare. Signals only travel at the speed of light, so after you launch your missiles, there is an input delay between when you update their targeting orders and when they actually receive that and send back new information to let you see how they're doing it. When you're lobbing missiles at a target some six million kilometers away, that only increases the delay (somewhere around 18-20 seconds each way in that particular case), so for a lot of the flight-time and especially on the final moments of their runs, the missiles have to rely on their own onboard sensors and their own onboard (and much less robust) AI systems. So, the ship you're shooting them at can use its own electronic systems and onboard AI to try and fool them, by forcibly breaking their target lock, or tricking them into veering off course, or even going after sensor decoys deployed by the host ship. The ones that can't be dealt with electronically are then targeted by counter-missiles and point-defense lasers to try and destroy them before they hit the ship.

Another thing I like about that setting's naval combat is that every hit counts. There are no forcefields. If a missile hits the ship, there is heavy armor, but that isn't going to stop all the damage. Even a minor hit can potentially knock out your ship's systems, or kill portions of its crew, and that can mean the difference between life and death in combat. Another thing I like is that *every* person aboard a warship is suited up in a full-on spacesuit while the combat. Every portion of the ship besides the core-hull (the major systems and bridge that lay along the very inner portions of the ship) are depressurized while combat is ongoing. It isn't like Star Trek. They assume a ship will take damage and get holes punched in it so steps are taken to protect the crew. No atmosphere means no pressure waves and also no violent decompression. Shrapnel is an issue though.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Spartan448 said:
Xenonauts had an interesting idea with tech progression, where you go from ballistic weapons to lazors to plasma and then... back to ballistics? MAG weapons (Magnetic Acceleration Gun) are your standard Sci-Fi railguns, but done right. They are on the very edge of practicality, to the point where the technology to create faster, more powerful MAG guns would actually be detrimental because the rounds would be traveling so fast it would ignite the atmosphere where the round traveled, most likely killing the soldier operating the weapon. Plasma is nice and all, but the problem is that Lasers scorch, and Plasma melts, and both of those take a lot longer than simply punching your way through whatever barrier is in your way. The theory is that while Plasma is dangerous, there isn't much that can withstand an impact from ANYTHING moving at speeds upwards of Mach 5. Rounds travel faster than Plasma, don't dissipate at range, penetrate armor better, and faster, and do more damage than Plasma or Laser weapons could ever hope to.
It's worth noting that MAG weapons are only better than plasma guns because they're used in the Earth's atmosphere. Xenonaut's devs knew their shit! The only thing I don't like is that the different kinds of weapons are just upgrades from one another, except between firearms and lasers (so, there's a legitimate reason to keep with rifles when you've got lasers, but no case to stick with plasma guns when you've got MAGs)

The Czech UFO games, particularly the second one, had some nice progression in this regard. You start with basic ballistics, move onto laser and plasma guns, which aren't great to begin with, but you can improve your battery tech later in the game to make them so much better than firearms. Then there's sonic guns, which don't do much damage, but disorient enemies and go through shields, and eventually warp weapons, which invert how effective enemy armour is. (And then there's various alien guns, different kinds of ammo, psionic gubbins and oh my god I could go on all day about this game... shame about how buggy it is =\ )