G4 changed for the worse?

SeriousSquirrel

Mar 15, 2010
(wanna skip some good ranting? Just post your opinion on G4's current quality and skip the rest of the text)

I understand that with the increase of time and success all things must change, but in my opinion G4 (the tv channel) has taken a turn for the worse. Remember a time when G4 was actualy about videogames/tech? When X-Play actualy reviewed games? When AOTS was still funny?

I do, and I miss those times. Yeah the asthetic quality has gone up in the shows, but thats because there are all of two shows (not really counting 'Its effin science', cause its just a bad mythbusters rip off.) Yeah they play ninja warrior now and then, but what happened to Code Monkeys? Cheat? (yeah, cheat is still on x-play, but the actual show)

Nowadays its just cops damn near all day. Anyone else feel like G4 has gone downhill?

and what happened to all of the skits?

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Yeah, its died. I don't even watch it and more. I have retreated to the interwebs for my gaming news.

ragestreet

Oct 17, 2008
I don't think they've gone downhill. I think they jumped off a mountain wearing 50 ton ankle weights and landed on a pile of shit.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, it has. I still remember Cinematech where they would show trailers for games, and seeing the trailers for some of the Japanese games was awesome. Hell, I would watch Cheat for games I didn't even own, I was just curious.

Good times...

squirrelman42

Dec 13, 2007
all I like on G4 is the stuff they didn't actually make, like Cops and MXE....or am I thinking of Spike?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I think its changed for the worse, at least to people who think it should be as it was. The station is trying to get writings, to stay on the air, whihc i guess is good if it means you can still have x play and attack of the show.

However, even those chnaged to meet a broader audience, and it takes away from to charm that the show held. They tried to do what attack of the show did, and draw a larger crowd by giving industry news and trying to cover more in the gaming world. Oh well. Times changes, and so do beloved programs. g4 wont go back, not unless they want to lose the ratings they get form cops and shows like it.

and as to why they only play cops for the majority of the day, its cuase people like to watch shows that lets them laugh at someone getting screwed over by the police, as long as its not them. and cops doenst get airtime on many (if any) channels outside G4, so it draws a large ratings crowd to G4.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
It's sucked for years now. I used to watch Xplay for game reviews and previews, but now it's just inane crap where they grudgingly talk about games in between those "crazy" intern skits and political commentary.

The same thing is happening to almost every niche channel now. History channel is moving into the zone of nothing but conspiracy theories. Sci-fi now has less science fiction than the BBC.

SeriousSquirrel

Mar 15, 2010
Huh, guess I'll never understand cops. Just a dumb show in my opinion. I guess the "garage look" x-play had wasn't great for ratings, but they come off as phony/vanilla now. However Adam/Morgan still have my respect. After all, Adam has been there since the begining

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
It used to be great when it started but alas like many other things that go "mainstream" it has degraded to sex, explosions and nonsensical shit. Only thing that is still somewhat good is Xplay.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
cimil said:
Huh, guess I'll never understand cops. Just a dumb show in my opinion. I guess the "garage look" x-play had wasn't great for ratings, but they come off as phony/vanilla now. However Adam/Morgan still have my respect. After all, Adam has been there since the begining
Yea. I still like aots & xplay but at this point, that's all they got.
They need more low budget shows that fit with their target market instead of trying to force affordable reruns in our eyeholes.
Maybe they think cops and cheaters appeal to the people who like weird web videos where people get hurt.
They need more shows about games & tech.

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
I love how they are to gaming as Mtv is to music at this point. They have, what, 1 half hour of mandatory game shows a day now?

I stopped watching after the actual game shows like Game On, and stuff like G4TV.com went away. The Tech TV merger was the official end for me.

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, X-Play and AOTS are not as good as they use to be, but I still like watching them, I just don't watch them as often. G4 showing Cheaters and Cops all day every day it seems, pisses me off a lot.

edit:

I remember reading somewhere that Code Monkeys was canceled.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
It's completely true, G4's become shambling corpse that tries (and fails) to ape the image of Spike TV. Unfortunate, sure, but really, who even watches cable anymore? Internet killed the video star, as they say.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
ME: "Lets see whats on G4"
TV: "Bad boys boys bad boys, whatcha gonna do..."
ME: "Yeah, no"
-flicks to Comedy Central-

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
*Cinamatech, Old X-Play, and Portal flood into my head*
Oh the glory days.
Why have we grown so apart!?
*Sob*
I miss it i really do.
I still enjoy X-play and AOTS to some extent, but now i only watch G4 for the Convention Coverage.

Sigh...at least Drunk Link is in my memories.
;_;

RathWolf

Apr 14, 2009
I haven't watched G4 for a while. I kinda phased out when they dropped everything except X-Play as their review shows, so X-Play started to only have strict serious reviews. I appreciated them, sure, but the more creative reviews always entertained me. Only thing slightly related G4 that I've actually seen recently is the Sessler's Soapbox podcast, which is genuinely interesting.

As a side note, anyone remember their old TV show Portal?

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
They used to have a good amount of quality shows, and now it's limited to X-Play, which has gone a little downhill too.

Now they just play rerun of Cops and Ninja Warrior or they play "Movies that don't suck" even though they almost always do.

OmegaXzors

Apr 4, 2010
I watch the channel during the conventions. X-Play doesn't even do the funny skits any more such as having a guy dress up like Kratos and he killed a puppy. Remember Johnny Xtreme? They also seem to take graphics as a huge priority of gaming now days.

I mean, they liked Bayonetta.

Personally, I liked the show that seemed to do an hour-long quick documentary on old tech stuff. Whether it's a gaming industry or something. I learned the roots to Square Enix through that!