Gabe Newell Discusses Episode 3 Delay

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gabe Newell Discusses Episode 3 Delay

Valve [http://www.valvesoftware.com/] co-founder Gabe Newell says there are very good reasons why there's been no news about Half-Life 2: Episode 3 recently, but he can't actually tell anyone what they are.

Lost amid all the kerfuffle surrounding the announcement of Half-Life 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92349-Valve-Responds-to-L4D2-Boycott] and today, the studio has managed to release precisely two follow-up episodes.

There are good reasons for that, according to Valve Managing Director Gabe Newell. Unfortunately, if he told you what they are, he'd have to kill you. "I get a ton of email everyday saying 'Why aren't you talking about Episode 3?'" he said in an interview with G4 [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696431/Opening-The-Valve-The-Gabe-Newell-Interview.html]. "And there are very good reasons why we're not talking about Episode 3, which I can't talk about yet."

He recognizes that not everyone is happy with the long delays between releases, however, even though he said Valve is happy with its development processes and schedule. "I think there's frustration there and I'm not somehow going to say that that's not legitimate or length isn't a concern, or regularity," he continued. "The speed with which these updates are coming out, people say, 'Hey, gee, these episodes are supposed to be shorter and you take 25 years to ship each one.' So, I don't wanna somehow dismiss those [concerns]."

Still, there appears to be a significant gulf between not wanting to dismiss gamers concerns and actually addressing them. When asked point-blank if he thought more information about Episode 3 would be available by the end of the year, Newell had this to say:

"Just so you know, the thing to me, that feels right, is the rhythm that Robin [Walker, Software Developer/Designer] and his team are operating with. It's like watching the reaction of that community, watching their ability to respond, looking at the quality of the work they're getting with the length of those development cycles. They're having a great time. And I think it shows on the other side, right? I mean, they were just giggling so hard when they were changing the buttons in the movies to say 'leak video.' Do you remember the big screen with all the buttons? And they were like, we have to put 'leaks video' into that thing before we release it. They were just like cackling away. What should have been like, pretty demoralizing and stressful was for them, 'Oh, this is no big deal.' So, yeah, people get the idea."

Thanks for clearing that up, Gabe.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Well, at least it confirms that they have not just forgotten about it. Oh well, but so long as it stays cheap, I'm in no hurry.

bamforth

Mar 10, 2008
Wonder if they have done anything, most small companies would hae at least got a trailer out by now, and a few tantilising anouncements. I would not be pleased if the reason Gabe couldn't say anything was because there wasn't anything to talk about.

Lightningfires

Apr 12, 2009
Episode 3 better be more fantastic than maple sirup,whipped cream, and strawberry covered waffles. I know these standards are high, but I am hopeful Ep.3 will meet them.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
I trust them with their ability to produce games, so I don't worry. It's the same thing with Pixar; they've earned by Fanboyism.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
So maybe my theory that Ep.3 will be a full length game holds water. If it's taking this long....

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Hehe, Gabe would make a damn fine politician. He sure has the ability to talk like a motormouth and say nothing at all, at the same time!

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
sneakypenguin said:
So maybe my theory that Ep.3 will be a full length game holds water. If it's taking this long....
This completely defies the point of episodes. What they should've done was release a small episode 8 months after Ep 2, then come out with Half-life 3 around now.

I..don't trust Valve anymore. They're seeming more incompetent by the day with the LFD2 business, now this.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
... I don't get it. How does... but...

They're making a game, goddammit, they're WORKING. I don't pay for them to PLAY AROUND!

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
So atleast there will be an episode 3, but its status is on a need to know basis. I can live with that Half life is an awesome series so I'm willing to wait for them to release any info they can that wont rick their lives.

After all Valve probably has headcrabs that are ready to pounce on anyone who leaks and info.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Here's the thing. It's smart for them to not hype anything about Episode 3. Remember how badly Nintendo shot itself in the foot with hype for E3 last year? Well same principle applies.

Granted I'm a bit annoyed this whole episode format didn't pan out properly but oh well. At least it's coming eventually, unlike the last episodic FPS. I mean yes, we can fault them for not sticking to the ideas behind using episodic releases (i.e. fast release time), but at the same time my mind generates its own hype and interest by wondering what's taking so long and what Episode 3 will ultimately be. One doesn't necessarily need anything tangible, though a trailer or something would be nice to show it's still alive doing science.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Leorex said:
it better be fucken good.
the reason, and the game i guess.
You will never have to worry about Valve making a crap game.

I think that considering how good Valve is at game-making ,and the fact they can balance making L4D2, Epidosde 3, doing updates for TF2, and running Steam, helps me believe that they will polish a game to almost perfection, just enough to come back later and add some new shiny thing tht gives more room to grow while fulfilling the last hole. I think thats a little too rambly, but too tired to care.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I've gotten used to Valve's ridiculous release times. So him not saying anything about Episode 3 does not surprise me.

However, I will be disappointed if Episode 3 does not have Gargantuas and Tentacles.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Anarchemitis said:
I trust them with their ability to produce games, so I don't worry. It's the same thing with Pixar; they've earned by Fanboyism.
Doesn't Pixar release a movie, like, at least once a year? ;P

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Curses! By the title, I thought Gabe was actually gonna say something about Episode 3!

He'd better hope that it lives up to all this anticipation! Or there will be a lot of disappointed gamers out there.

Who am I kidding? It's VALVe. Of course it will be amazing!

I just hope they didn't hear me doubting them. They hate doubters. And they can cause pain from a distance using their intense mental powers.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
Anarchemitis said:
Doesn't Pixar release a movie, like, at least once a year? ;P
Hasn't Pixar been trying to make Toy Story 3 since...oh...2006? ;P