Gabe Newell Discusses Episode 3 Delay

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Hamster at Dawn said:
Valve is smart, not hyping their games up so people don't raise their expectations too high. Maybe they can't announce it because they're working on Orange Box 2? We can only dream...

Radelaide said:
Does anybody else here see "DNF" syndrome here?
I just realised "DNF" also stands for "Did Not Finish" lol.
So did I. Horrah for double meanings? o/

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
HL Episode 3: Forever!

Well, maybe not full on DNF as much as a repeat of TF2, remember how that went through a rather lengthy and changing development cycle?

SpiritMacardi

Feb 4, 2008
The solution to this problem is simple: put the L4D people in the production seat for Half-Life, and vice versa. That way the episodes will come out quicker and the sequels will be slower.

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
I have a feeling this is being delayed because they want to release another "orange box". I'm willing to bet Episode 3 and Portal 2 will be bundled together, along with all the previous games...and possibly a Team Fortress 3. Yeah, I know...it may seem impossible, what with the incredibly long development time for TF2. But I think a sequel is entire possible after they just announced a sequel to Left 4 Dead.

ingsoc

Feb 12, 2008
My guess is they will not come out with Episode 3 but will simply come out with Half Life 3 using the episodes and Portal as a bridge between the two. They will have a new engine and fifteen to sixteen hours of gameplay and story to go with it.

lijenstina

Jun 18, 2008
"He He he.. Look this, a leak video ! A headcrab zombie on a bicycle... Ha ha ha ha...
Man this stuff is good... I'm so high now... A leak video... Ho ho ho ho ha ha ha ha"

"Hey man, leave Gabe's stash alone. Don't open his "e-mails". "

" Bah... He don't minds sharing... Receiving them by a ton lately, anyway..."

" Well then it's OK. He. he, look at that ... A leak video... A headcrab zombie on a bicycle... Ha ha ha... Man this "e-mails" are good... Ha hahah hahahah"

Microdamus

Jun 11, 2009
Microdamus has seen the events surrounding the release of Episode 3 clearly. The delay has been caused by the addition of a portal gun. Gordon Freeman has been falling through an ill-advised portal-into-portal bottomless pit for the last 6 months. The battery on the portal gun will run out in October, and he will at last reach the floor covered in excrement. After months of rehab and quarantine, Episode 3 will be a dizzying success.

Go on

Mar 11, 2009
First the PS3 thing and now this I'm starting to believe VALVE are a bunch of incompetent fools whit a special game gift.

Feb 13, 2008
Just as a little hint Gabe.

When your full release games come out faster than your episodic games, people tend to get confused.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Lightningfires said:
Episode 3 better be more fantastic than maple sirup,whipped cream, and strawberry covered waffles. I know these standards are high, but I am hopeful Ep.3 will meet them.
I'm suddenly very hungry...

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Just as a little hint Gabe.

When your full release games come out faster than your episodic games, people tend to get confused.
Ahh, but see, that's the beauty of Valve-time.