Gabe Newell Gives Away Personal Steam Password

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Gabe Newell Gives Away Personal Steam Password

Gabe Newell has given out his Steam account information and double dog dares you to log-in to his account.

Gabe Newell's Steam account information has been leaked to the entire world. Not by a hacker, but by Newell himself in an attempt to prove how safe Steam's new security system is.

Valve recently unveiled Steam Guard [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108197-Valve-Unveils-Hardware-Based-Steam-Security], a new layer of protection that allows Steam users to tie their account to a single PC, preventing account theft even with the knowledge of log-in information. Steam Guard also notifies users if someone tries to log-in to their account from a foreign computer.

At the CeBIT [http://www.cebit.de/home] conference in Hanover Germany, Newell demonstrated the power of Steam Guard by revealing his Steam log-in email and password to the crowd (and now the internet). "You can try to log-in and steal my account if you can," he said. "But you can't."

Newell's Steam log-in email is "[email protected]," and his password is "MoolyFTW." Give it a shot! Perhaps the elusive Half-Life 2: Episode 3 is inside.

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/fxcup/mr_newell_has_a_challenge_for_you/]

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
That man has balls of steel.

I still have doubts about using this system myself but its nice to know that it works.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
A Reddit user tried to use said log-in and password.

Needless to say, it didn't work.

Spot the spelling error.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Well, as long as it doesn't become obligatory, I'm fine with it. The idea of tying my steam login to one computer is not a good one. For others it might be, but for me, that'd be unworkable. Still, interesting challenge. Would be embarrassing if someone manages it, but I guess the advantage is even if someone does get around it then they'd just fix whatever they did and nobody would be able to do it again.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
This kinda reminds me of that Blizzard guy giving out his real name to try and prove that people using RealID couldn't find any personal info on you just by seeing your name.

Incase you don't know the story, it took the forum goers all of 15 minutes to find his address and send pizzas to his house. And that was the tamest thing they did.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
BabyRaptor said:
This kinda reminds me of that Blizzard guy giving out his real name to try and prove that people using RealID couldn't find any personal info on you just by seeing your name.

Incase you don't know the story, it took the forum goers all of 15 minutes to find his address and send pizzas to his house. And that was the tamest thing they did.
They went too far by posting pictures of his family members, including the children. That they took themselves.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Delusibeta said:
A Reddit user tried to use said log-in and password.

Needless to say, it didn't work.

Spot the spelling error.
You see, Valve just had to go the extra mile - it wasn't enough for them to create this new security system; they also felt it necessary to invent a new word in the process, just as an added bonus...in this case, you have been DECTECTED, my friend. I dare say that some form of doom awaits you.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Spot the spelling error.
I don't dectect anything.

---

I wonder, what happens if someone has an identical PC build? Do they somehow log serial numbers as well? I'm not entirely familiar with this hardware security concept.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
I tried this earlier, it "dectects" a wrong processor.

Pretty cool though.

Edit: Wow, ninjad, I should write faster.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, my immediate thought is that it's an advertising gimmick and that Gabe set up a dummy account just for the promotion.

Also as ironic as it is, given that Gabe has been used as the butt of internet jokes for a long time, including being put into a lingerie contest, he probably figures there isn't much anyone could do to him that he hasn't already faced.

... and then he does have the infamous "Steam shut off switch" and if they push too hard, the apocolypse beckons

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
The Youth Counselor said:
BabyRaptor said:

They went too far by posting pictures of his family members, including the children. That they took themselves.
Oh, I completely agree. I wasn't advocating it, just saying I think this will have a similarly bad outcome.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
So I haven't heard anything about this, but what if the computer I got my steam account tied to, dies in a sudden way(hit by lightning or something like that). Would that mean I had to get me a new steam account? Or could I perhaps contact support about it and they untie it for me.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
If any other company did something like this, I'm sure their system would be hacked in hours, but knowing Valve and based on what I've read about SteamGuard, I can't see that happening. It seems like a pretty impressive security system.

Nevertheless, I'm sure there are tons of hacking communities losing sleep over this anyway.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
...so appearantly you can't do anything on another pc if you're not using the PC you linked steam security with...that's balls.

How are you gonna prove that you are really you to steam support? Secret Question? I hate those, I always forget it :p

Should get a authenticator thingy like blizz, I have it on the ipod, not gonna pay for one xD

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, you can't get his account. Until some hacker cracks it. I guess Gabe must be really confident that the security works.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Well, that's one way of doing a product demo I suppose. It would have been seriously embarrassing if it had gone wrong. And they got into his account. AND THEY FOUND HALF LIFE 3! 0_o

That would have been a cool reveal though.

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
I'm sure this is gabe newell lording his brilliance over us all just to rub it in.