Gabe Newell: It's Up to Valve to Bring EA Back to Steam

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
Worr Monger said:
All the more reason for Valve to get them back. Unless EA somehow requires you to have Origin if you get a game through Steam... don't know if that would be possible.
Doesn't GTAIV on Steam require logins for GFWL and RSC as well?
I don't own GTAIV.... but I have Bulletstorm on Steam, and that did require GFWL.

Is EA still going to allow purchases through D2D? Would those also require Origin?

jamesbrown

Apr 18, 2011
Valve has done great work in digital distubution and made downloading media a valid way of accessing content with steam and for them to try and fix what EA is complaining about is very mature in an industry of isolationism. Also, Steam killed Gordon.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Lacsapix said:
A customer will install steam because it is a stable program for game purchases and some free games.
Or they they like you know. Have to. Like with New Vegas

and Dawn of War 2
and Empire Total War
and Modern Warfare 2
and the dozens of other PC games that require Steam.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Lacsapix said:
A customer will install steam because it is a stable program for game purchases and some free games.
A customer will only install Origin because it was on the battlefield 3 disk.
Have you used Origin? No? Then don't judge. You'll probably claim you have, but it's plenty stable.

All the bitching about Origin is out of sheer laziness and some misplaced love of Steam. Sure, Steam is great. You know what else is great? Competition. It keeps prices low. Steam has sales because it has to, to keep business good.

And nobody remembers Valve pulled this same shit in 2004 with a single player only game. So, sit down, shut up and quit whining about something that's good.

CD-R said:
Or they they like you know. Have to. Like with New Vegas

and Dawn of War 2
and Empire Total War
and Modern Warfare 2
and the dozens of other PC games that require Steam.
Only Dow2: Retribution. But more on topic, don't forget every single Valve game, even if you buy the physical copy.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Worr Monger said:
I don't own GTAIV.... but I have Bulletstorm on Steam, and that did require GFWL.

Is EA still going to allow purchases through D2D? Would those also require Origin?
Irridium confirmed GTAIV. And chances are that any EA publication will require Origin to play regardless of where you originally purchased it.

A 'Suck it or chuck it' kinda deal. Unless you get a console version, but then lose possible benefits of the PC.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Game companies have to "earn the right" to install their content on their customer's PCs, Newell explained
I like the cut of your jib big guy, keep it up

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
Only Dow2: Retribution.
Not to get off-topic, but EVERY DoW2 game required steam, it's just that the first and Chaos Rising also required GFWL. Which was annoying. I know this, because I actually bought Chaos Rising retail...and it still required steam.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Grey_Focks said:
Not to get off-topic, but EVERY DoW2 game required steam, it's just that the first and Chaos Rising also required GFWL. Which was annoying. I know this, because I actually bought Chaos Rising retail...and it still required steam.
Well, it does tell you on the box.

Dec 27, 2010
That's probably the most mature thing I've heard in a while. And that's why Steam will outlive most other services; they're open to change.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
you know what? i like steam... BUT! i've got an incredibly positive story to share about Origin.

Back in the day, i purchased a few EA games, hardcopies. Including Spore (and all expansions and packs) and the Sims 3. I registered these games back in the day to prove ownership. And some point between moving 3 times, being homeless for a year, and general life disorder, i lost the discs. But i knew that SOMEWHERE out there, my registration existed, proof that I had purchased these games legally.

Then Origin showed up, a Steam-eque digital download service. So i asked myself "If they have my information in their databanks, AND if they have the ability to offer the downloads digitally, what reason is there that I can't be granted digital rights to download a game i legally own?"

as it turns out, there is no reason. EA was happy to provide me with quick support offering digital downloads of ALL my registered products. Not bad for a company that has (i'll admit, rightfully so) been demonized by fans.

And i've read numerous stories of Steam not offering that same level of customer support, sometimes screwing customers over, though I've never had much issues aside from crashing or not loading from Steam)

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
coldalarm said:
Grey_Focks said:
Well, it does tell you on the box.
Oh, I wasn't surprised by this, I knew it would need steam regardless how I got it, just more confused why anyone would make their game require both Steam AND GFWL. Thankfully they learned their lesson with Retribution, and gave GFWL the boot.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Two of my favourite Game Studio/ people being awsome in one day!
This calls for a martini!

I can't help thinking that this is like an older, more successful sibling trying to stop his younger brother from doing something monumentaly stupid.

Looks like Gabe is trying to bring EA...

*sunglasses*

Up to steam.
Oh yeeeeaaaah!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Worr Monger said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Did I miss when that was announced for every game? I know they said it for TOR. It wouldn't surprise me if it were true... in which case, I'm still on the fence as to how I'm going to deal with that.

All the more reason for Valve to get them back. Unless EA somehow requires you to have Origin if you get a game through Steam... don't know if that would be possible.
You may be right, I may be mis-remembering. I didn't offhand find a bit specifically saying this is going to be for all discs, but I have trouble thinking they'll do anything else if they can force you to activate via disc.

I don't know if it's possible to require an Origin validation through Steam, but one would think it be silly and unnecessary. I can't think of a reasonable reason to do it. But it is EA, so they hay have an unreasonable one.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
qwerty19411 said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
you know what? i like steam... BUT! i've got an incredibly positive story to share about Origin.
Most of the hate seems to come from the general "mistrust" of EA or their hatred towards them for buying up series/studios and taking them in a different direction. There are several things that, IMO, people just need to get over. But people will hold a grudge for whatever reason in the end, so it's hard convincing those people to reevaluate their mindset.
This.

I see people mostly demonizing EA here for no other reason than they're EA and that they apparently have the gall to want to try to compete with Steam. Really both sides have been acting like twats over this.

Also wasn't it Valve that started removing EA's games from Steam? And not the other way around?

There isn't anything wrong with Origin - so far my experiences with it have been mostly positive, only time will tell if it can be a decent competitor to Steam. Let's not forget that Steam really wasn't all that popular when it first came out.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Steam was unadulterated shit for quite awhile after it came out. But Valve persisted, worked on it and now have a platform that, for people who buy digital, is pretty damn awesome.

Why are so many of you so insistent on not giving EA the same opportunity?