Gabe Newell: It's Up to Valve to Bring EA Back to Steam

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I don't really like steam that much personally. As In I don't really use it much. But It would be excellent if EA would go in with steam. It would help minimize all the other terrible shitty Download clients like Origin.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
To be fair, Valve could just send screenshots of the hundreds of threads across various forums talking about how shit Origin is and how they won't buy BF3 because of it and EA would probably think about coming back.

Disclaimer before anyone decides to be retarded and take this out of context: I am not saying Origin is shit. I have never used Origin, and I am not judging it in any way. I do, however, refuse to use Origin because of its lack of a decent friending system, and therefore will not be buying BF3 on my PC unless that is rectified or it comes back to Steam.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
you know what? i like steam... BUT! i've got an incredibly positive story to share about Origin.

Back in the day, i purchased a few EA games, hardcopies. Including Spore (and all expansions and packs) and the Sims 3. I registered these games back in the day to prove ownership. And some point between moving 3 times, being homeless for a year, and general life disorder, i lost the discs. But i knew that SOMEWHERE out there, my registration existed, proof that I had purchased these games legally.

Then Origin showed up, a Steam-eque digital download service. So i asked myself "If they have my information in their databanks, AND if they have the ability to offer the downloads digitally, what reason is there that I can't be granted digital rights to download a game i legally own?"

as it turns out, there is no reason. EA was happy to provide me with quick support offering digital downloads of ALL my registered products. Not bad for a company that has (i'll admit, rightfully so) been demonized by fans.

And i've read numerous stories of Steam not offering that same level of customer support, sometimes screwing customers over, though I've never had much issues aside from crashing or not loading from Steam)
I had a similar issue, and they were very helpful through phone support.

The only problem is the limited re-downloads if you were to, say, uninstall the game to make space or something.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
First I handed out respect points to Notch for his Deathmatch challenge today and now this. Respect points for the classy CEO who doesn't mudsling!

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
The Virgo said:
Hey, Gabe, instead of pissing around with EA, why don't you get to work on Episode Three? Or better yet, why don't you just admit that you aren't making it and stop dragging us along, you bastards! D-:<

Sorry, got a little worked up there ...
Ladies and Gentleman, here we see a demonstration of Gabe's Law; in any discussion about Valve or Gabe Newell, the probability of someone complaining about episode 3 rapidly approaches 1.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
bahumat42 said:
I DONT WANT TWO MASSIVE GAMES PROGRAMS HOGGING MY MEMORY
To be fair, Origin and Steam are not difficult to run. It's not like they take up half your RAM/CPU power, unless your computer is shit.

But that's hardly the worst part of having Origin.

Captcha:

... Really?

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Lacsapix said:
A customer will install steam because it is a stable program for game purchases and some free games.
A customer will only install Origin because it was on the battlefield 3 disk.
A Half-Life 2 buyer only installed Steam because it was on the disk.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Steam was unadulterated shit for quite awhile after it came out. But Valve persisted, worked on it and now have a platform that, for people who buy digital, is pretty damn awesome.

Why are so many of you so insistent on not giving EA the same opportunity?
Because EA were @$$holes over it. "It ain't us! Its STEAM! They're the cause of all this! It wasn't us violating their terms of use! It wasn't us piggybacking on their service to sell the game then taking all the DLC profit and cutting them out!"

They weren't upfront and honest. All it takes is "By using Steam, we must give them a cut of the DLC profit. We apologize for the inconvenience. We would like to use our own service so that we may have a bigger sale of the profit. We recognize many of our fans like Steam, and we hope they can use Origin along side it."

But no. Finger pointing at Steam/Valve, a good company, with good marketers (one of the worst aspects of EA I may add) and being royal pricks over it.

That is why EA doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Mr Newell, please go and punch Bobby Kotick in his smug face and then teach him everything you know about PR and delivering a good service.

Then go and find out what the hell your team is doing with Ep3..

Andy Chalk said:
Steam was unadulterated shit for quite awhile after it came out. But Valve persisted, worked on it and now have a platform that, for people who buy digital, is pretty damn awesome.

Well EA (in the past) have proven consistantly to be complete dicks, although now that torch has been passed on to Activision it might well be time again to give them a chance.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Gabe Newell, though he may have a weird habit of pulling strange and controversial ideas out of his brain, he still talks sense when it comes to all things serious.
DeadlyYellow said:
Worr Monger said:
All the more reason for Valve to get them back. Unless EA somehow requires you to have Origin if you get a game through Steam... don't know if that would be possible.
Doesn't GTAIV on Steam require logins for GFWL and RSC as well?
Yea, but RSC is just a social and media exchange service and GFWL started as just a social service for all games LIVE when it was included with GTAIV. As GFWL is also a gamestore now it really shouldn't be included with games also sold on Steam or Origin. There is a strong conflict of interest in that.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Well, Gabe is saying the truth there. In order to bring back the EA titles on Steam, they have to show EA that it will pay off for them in the end. It's not like Valve could somehow force EA to release their games on Steam.
I don't really know how this could end the way I want it to end. I don't want to use Origin, not because it will be bad since I have no idea how it is but because I'm always online on Steam when I start up my pc and most of my games are on Steam. So I use Steam a lot anyway but I don't want to use two programs, that's just a pain and unnecessary. But even if they get back the EA games on Steam, I'm fairly sure that those would require both Steam and Origin which is even more of a pain, in that case I'd rather just use Origin. I doubt that EA will bring their games back on Steam and not make Origin mandatory.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Andy Chalk said:

Because people hate EA...

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
bahumat42 said:
i have a problem with origin because
I DONT WANT TWO MASSIVE GAMES PROGRAMS HOGGING MY MEMORY
just to play bf3?
Er ... you do realize that you can exit the programs, right?
Also if your system is so starved for memory that Steam or Origin running in the background "hogs" it, it just might be time to toss a couple more sticks of memory in.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
cynicalsaint1 said:
qwerty19411 said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
you know what? i like steam... BUT! i've got an incredibly positive story to share about Origin.
Most of the hate seems to come from the general "mistrust" of EA or their hatred towards them for buying up series/studios and taking them in a different direction. There are several things that, IMO, people just need to get over. But people will hold a grudge for whatever reason in the end, so it's hard convincing those people to reevaluate their mindset.
This.

I see people mostly demonizing EA here for no other reason than they're EA and that they apparently have the gall to want to try to compete with Steam. Really both sides have been acting like twats over this.

Also wasn't it Valve that started removing EA's games from Steam? And not the other way around?

There isn't anything wrong with Origin - so far my experiences with it have been mostly positive, only time will tell if it can be a decent competitor to Steam. Let's not forget that Steam really wasn't all that popular when it first came out.
I believe Valve HAD to remove the games from Steam because EA violated their terms of service with DA2. They sold DLC through the game, rather than Steam, which cuts out Valve entirely.

EA can't have this both ways. They have to realize when they deliver games through Steam, they aren't just paying for the servers, they are paying for an Audience. Steam reaches TONS of people. They can't just sell the game there to then sell them additional game parts through the game so that Steam gets cut out.

And frankly, EA really needs to eat some humble pie. Customer support isn't earned by being pricks, blaming others, and certainly not through horrible ad campaigns. Valve has more than proved itself recently. EA on the other hand...